US Politics: Shutdown Showdown

Mr. Chatywin et al.

32 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Do you think the logic of violence being justified if it's for "the greater good", or whatever, is limited to the extreme ends of the political spectrum?

Do you have an example of this that isn’t self defense, repelling an invasion, or retaking territory overrun by an invading army.

For the Record… Likhud are extremists.

19 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Do you have an example of this that isn’t self defense, repelling an invasion, or retaking territory overrun by an invading army.

For the Record… Likhud are extremists.

Some obvious ones would be US involvement in Vietnam and Iraq.  US's relationship with Saudi Arabia, all the times we've propped up dictators to secure cheaper access to natural resources.  Buying goods made with labor that receives subsistance-level or lower compensation seems like another obvious example.  Buying diamond engagement ring.  All supported by mainstream politicians across the center portion of the political spectrum.  It's bizarre to ignore this if the suffering of innocent people is the thing you have issue with.  

Lack of universal healthcare in the US leads to tens of thousands of preventable deaths a year because it's more important to have insurance company shareholders passively earn money.  We have tens of thousands of deaths from guns each year because people all over the political spectrum would rather have the freedom to own guns than ban them outright. 

I'm not seeing the ends justifying the means being an argument or rationalization that is particularly unique to the extreme left or right.  But I guess I'm a just a genocide apologist or whatever the fuck unfounded conclusions you've jumped to dictate, so what the hell do I know?

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

Do you have an example of this that isn’t self defense.

Self-defense is a very slippery slope. A terror attack is an automatic blank check to go almost anywhere that won't set off a nuke exchange.

Republicans I hear in the debates are openly discussing invading Mexico to go after drug dealers/smugglers. Self-defense, they're bring drugs here and harming Americans. (We can add Canada to this actually. Not a joke since an actual candidate was talking about building a wall between Canada I believe also over drug-related issues)

Edited by Martell Spy

15 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

You know what, for all of his failings, his approaching death changed him. And changed him for the good. He made his apologies, he begged for forgiveness, he recognized a spiritual vacuum in the soul of America and he prayed that future politicians would recognize the vacuum and try to change it. He was appalled at the things he did in the quest for political power

It didn't change a damned thing about what he unleashed though, did it?  So I say, feh.

Never have been impressed with deathbed confession and absolution.  Particularly if there isn't a provision in the will to build and orphanage or a hospital.  Do whatever you like, but if you repent and confess at the moment of death all is good.

Evangelicals have copied that one.  Just say you didn't mean to do, you're sorry, and all good.  And now let's do it again.

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Self-defense is a very slippery slope. A terror attack is an automatic blank check to go almost anywhere that won't set off a nuke exchange.

Republicans I hear in the debates are openly discussing invading Mexico to go after drug dealers/smugglers. Self-defense, they're bring drugs here and harming Americans. (We can add Canada to this actually. Not a joke since an actual candidate was talking about building a wall between Canada I believe also over drug-related issues)

Republicans advocating invading Northern Mexico to “take on the cartels”… are extremists.

@Larry of the Lawn

Which is tautological… I see the point…

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

All this talk about horseshoe theories makes me wonder if cops and criminals have more in common than they do with the people at the peak of the curve. 

On that note...

Many years ago, I pulled a stint of grand jury duty - hearing cases to see if there was sufficient evidence to go to trial. One of the cases that stuck out was...'random aggravated assault with racial overtones.'

Basically, a couple of Native Americans were walking along the side of a paved street when a car pulled over, two white guys jumped out, clobbered them good with shovels, then jumped back in the car and sped off. The officer showed up and asked all the usual questions - did anything stand out about the vehicle, did they know the attackers, could they even describe the attackers? From the testimony we heard, the answers were on the vague side.

Still, the officer in question, apparently operating on these very vague responses and.... years of professional instinct? - apparently had a dang good idea who the attackers were from this, and those suspicions were confirmed when they went to the suspects house and the idiots basically confessed.

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I saw that.  I really wonder if that will be the last straw for the Republican Party in Ohio or if the majority who backed Issue 1 will just keep electing Republicans?

One would think that GOP legislators would be wise enough to steer clear of an issue that a) gets Ohioans out to the polls; and b) on which they are on the wrong side, but, hey, they are Republicans.

I seem to recall hearing that activists are angling to get a referendum on the ballot for 2024, one which would put the redistricting process in the hands of an independent commission, and out of the grasp of the legislature. Given that the last three referenda went left and not right, I have to wonder if we're going to see a fourth go the same way.

26 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

I seem to recall hearing that activists are angling to get a referendum on the ballot for 2024, one which would put the redistricting process in the hands of an independent commission,

Hasn’t that been done in one state? I wanna say Michigan, but not sure. I seem to recall reading about it, and that it was excellent for dems. But I may be confusing this w/ something else.

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What?

Are you really saying there are ends that justify murder of people who have nothing to do with the issue in question?

Someone obviously hasn't been reading the Israel v Civilians thread.

Or perhaps they have, and this is just another bullshit Western high horse case of Palestinian babies being viewed as Not Real People.

45 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Or perhaps they have, and this is just another bullshit Western high horse case of Palestinian babies being viewed as Not Real People.

Like who the hell in the thread views Palestinian babies as not real people? What kind of jackass remark is that?

Biden campaign slams ‘extreme’ and ‘racist’ Trump immigration plans
While Biden’s denouncement of Trump administration policies was central to his 2020 message, it’s not yet clear how often the president will talk about immigration this go-around.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/11/biden-campaign-slams-extreme-and-racist-trump-immigration-plans-00126712

Trump has repeatedly hinted at these plans at political rallies, where he typically talks at length about the southern border. Stephen Miller, a senior aide who crafted many of Trump’s first-term policies, is once again heavily involved in the planning, according to the Times.

2 hours ago, SuperHans said:

Pardon me?  

Palestinians are absolutely real people.  Israeli’s are real people.  Likhud turning a blind eye to Israeli settlers attacking Palestinians is absolutely unjustifiable and a war crime.  Hamas attacking and murdering civilians at a music festival is absolutely a war crime.

Yes?

11 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Hasn’t that been done in one state? I wanna say Michigan, but not sure. I seem to recall reading about it, and that it was excellent for dems. But I may be confusing this w/ something else.

Yes, there was a citizen led petition which required a certain number of signatures in order to be placed on a ballot. That happened in 2018 (Proposition 2) which passed with 61% of the vote; in 2021 the independent commission redistricted Michigan and in 2022 both state house and senate flipped into the Democrats hands.

2018 also saw recreational MJ legalized with about the same percentage approval so I'd say it was a solid year particularly in light of Trump's election.

12 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Biden campaign slams ‘extreme’ and ‘racist’ Trump immigration plans
While Biden’s denouncement of Trump administration policies was central to his 2020 message, it’s not yet clear how often the president will talk about immigration this go-around.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/11/biden-campaign-slams-extreme-and-racist-trump-immigration-plans-00126712

Saw similar article today

Trump plots mass detention and deportation of undocumented immigrants should he regain power

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/11/politics/trump-stephen-miller-immigration-detention-deportation

A Trump 2nd term would feature attempted Muslim country travel bans and mass detention centers for non white immigrants.

You cant make this shit up.:ack: