US Politics: Shutdown Showdown

Mr. Chatywin et al.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I thought it was more interesting that college football is absolutely dominated by right-leaning folks and they tend to vote a whole lot more; I would have thought that because it's college it would have been more, well, young-leaning and therefore leftwards. But I guess the people who really watch it year after year are predominantly from the South and Midwest and probably alums who are older. 

Ah...but those watching the college game are watching because it's young, predominantly African American men playing a game they're not being paid to play, they're (mostly until recently I think) not allowed to be paid, and they're really not going to be paid...it's another form of control for all those southern white "fans"...

But maybe I'm reading that wrong...

17 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Given the bizarre Republican antics all over Capitol Hill today Sen. Mullin R-OK challenging the Teamster’s Union President to a fight… during a hearing.  Rep. Comer R-TX calling the allegations about his loan to his brother “Bullshit” from his position as the chair of the House Oversight committee.  MTG calling Darrell Issa a “pussy”… I have a question… does the Republican Party believe the only people left who support their horseshit are Pro Wrestling fans?

Is this a concerted effort to appeal to the dumbasses who do nothing but drink and watch pro wrestling?

More likely that they were served a bad batch at the one of the cocaine orgies that Madison Cawthorn was talking about.

34 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think this douchecanoe is making his play for national relevance.  He’s doubling down on his pugilistic bullshit.  

This is what we have become…

https://x.com/dabbs346/status/1724794310833664372?s=46

The thought crosses my mind that his constituents are nodding their heads and fist pumping while saying, hell ya, that’s why I voted for you! The bites!

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The thought crosses my mind that his constituents are nodding their heads and fist pumping while saying, hell ya, that’s why I voted for you! The bites!

Republicans today:

21 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Per various articles the main reason appears to be minorities tend to be WWE fans, and they skew heavily leftwards. 

When were the other articles published?

The article you linked to is from March 2013, which, although only ten and a half years ago, is before Trump. I think we need some more recent data to see for sure whether or not WWE fans are among those low-propensity voters who Trump motivated to get to the polls for the first time. 

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

When were the other articles published?

The article you linked to is from March 2013, which, although only ten and a half years ago, is before Trump. I think we need some more recent data to see for sure whether or not WWE fans are among those low-propensity voters who Trump motivated to get to the polls for the first time. 

I really don't think we need that

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That would make the stupid blowhard a marytr.  Bad plan.

We had a blowhard ultra conservative type guy up here in Canada, Patrick Brazeau, who was always spouting off about how tough he was and that he was a special forces soldier before getting into politics and that he would like to punch out Justin Trudeau. Well a charity match was arranged and Justin well and truly cleaned Patrick's clock. Brazeau managed to become a complete nonentity now.

Meanwhile in nonboxing news, the Senate is working to pass the two-step continuing budget resolution enacted by the House. Financial catastrophe staved off until late January/February. Starting to wonder if they can finance the government this way for all of 2024...

Senate looks to speed ahead on temporary funding to avert government shutdown through the holidays (msn.com)

Also, a certain senators singlehanded blockade of military promotions may be about to fail...if enough of his fellow republicans can bring themselves to cooperate with democrats - a highly uncertain prospect.

Senate Republicans can now stop Tuberville's military blockade — if they want to (msn.com)

44 minutes ago, maarsen said:

We had a blowhard ultra conservative type guy up here in Canada, Patrick Brazeau, who was always spouting off about how tough he was and that he was a special forces soldier before getting into politics and that he would like to punch out Justin Trudeau. Well a charity match was arranged and Justin well and truly cleaned Patrick's clock. Brazeau managed to become a complete nonentity now.

Video link… or it didn’t happen…

;) 

49 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Video link… or it didn’t happen…

;) 

There’s lots on the internet, I think. I’m not at home right now. Trudeau is in great shape. Have you seen the picture of him doing the yoga pose, the plank? He was at a caucus meeting and I think someone dared him.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Have you seen the picture of him doing the yoga pose, the plank?

Ha ha ha ha!  I looked that picture up, impressive, and next to it was the photo of Trump crawling up the embankment at a golf course.   Now if only Trump would disappear.