US Politics: Shutdown Showdown

Tywin et al.

My comment was meant in a humorous way… as an exaggeration…since that is the only way that I can handle the GOP insanity…

I forgot about the islands and I definitely didn’t know about the First Nation Reserve…not living in NA…my guess is Ramaswamys solution would be to pull an Andrew Jackson and remove them to some remote place, the „plan“ to buy Greenland could come in handy in such a scenario…

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Just heard some pundits who are  never Trumper former republicans say that one of the biggest losers nationwide was Moms for Liberty. Apparently the lost bigly on school boards races everywhere. That’s some excellent news, maybe the book burning anti LGBTQIA+ madness will stop. 

Which makes me incredibly happy. 

6 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Vague televised rumors of a major brothel network being busted in the DC area featuring sex workers imported from overseas and a client base that included a great many elected officials.

Not so vague actually.  And why would anyone be surprised after all the documented revelations of these ilks serviced by the organized provider of underage (very often) girls of Jeff Epstein?  This is very common in the US and the UK and France, as far as history of vice tell us, at least since the later 19th C.

57 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Not so vague actually.  And why would anyone be surprised after all the documented revelations of these ilks serviced by the organized provider of underage (very often) girls of Jeff Epstein?  This is very common in the US and the UK and France, as far as history of vice tell us, at least since the later 19th C.

Isn't sex work called "the oldest profession in the world"? I would assume child abuse and human trafficking are also fairly old. Add to that the fact that a lot of politicians are powerful and rich men and the whole thing shouldn't be very surprising.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

So he basically screwed over Biden's agenda for nothing, seeing as he shouldnt have been worried about reelection.

In retrospect yeah, though I do think he was trying to screw that agenda over to try and get re-elected. He just won't be able to any more, not in that state and not with the current political system. My wife who is from West Virginia absolutely hates his ass and constantly wants him gone, but begrudgingly agrees that as horrible and despicable and vile as he is, that still makes him better than literally any Republican candidate at this point. 

42 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

In retrospect yeah, though I do think he was trying to screw that agenda over to try and get re-elected. He just won't be able to any more, not in that state and not with the current political system. My wife who is from West Virginia absolutely hates his ass and constantly wants him gone, but begrudgingly agrees that as horrible and despicable and vile as he is, that still makes him better than literally any Republican candidate at this point. 

Perhaps the democratic candidate might campaign aggressively enough and make enough centrist concessions to score a surprise victory. Seems unlikely, but so are some of the other recent elections.

Apparently, Jill Stein and the Green Party are going to give it another try:

Two-time Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein announced Thursday she plans to seek the party’s nomination for the White House in 2024.

“The political system is broken. The two Wall Street parties are bought and paid for,” Stein said in a video posted on social media announcing her candidacy.

“The Democrats have betrayed their promises for working people, youth and the climate again and again, while Republicans don’t even make such promises in the first place,” she said.

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Just heard some pundits who are  never Trumper former republicans say that one of the biggest losers nationwide was Moms for Liberty. Apparently the lost bigly on school boards races everywhere. That’s some excellent news, maybe the book burning anti LGBTQIA+ madness will stop. 

That was certainly true here locally.  The "Arizona Women of Action" went after the SUSD school board and tried to defeat a budget override by spending a relatively enormous amount of money in their campaign.  They lost, only garnering 42% of the votes with low voter turnout.

Arizona state Republicans in the last decade and a half have been on a rampage against public schools, but mainly it was driven by self-interest.  Numerous politicians here have dipped their snouts in the public trough by starting charter schools, so anything they can do to denigrate the public school system is a zero-sum game where they personally benefit as more parents send their kids to the publicly-funded but privately-owned charter schools.

Originally legalized in 1994, charter school really took off in 2004 when the money gates were opened in Arizona, permitting charter school to tap the state's education funds on a per-student basis.  Since then, every other corner in the Valley of the Sun has a charter school on it, right across from the Starbucks.

Edited by Wilbur
cain't spel

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That was certainly true here locally.  The "Arizona Women of Action" went after the SUSD school board and tried to defeat a budget override by spending a relatively enormous amount of money in their campaign.  They lost, only garnering 42% of the votes with low voter turnout.

Arizona state Republicans in the last decade and a half have been on a rampage against public schools, but mainly it was driven by self-interest.  Numerous politicians here have dipped their snouts in the public trough by starting charter schools, so anything they can do to denigrate the public school system is a zero-sum game where they personally benefit as more parents send their kids to the publicly-funded but privately-owned charter schools.

Originally legalized in 1994, charter school really took off in 2004 when the money gates were opened in Arizona, permitting charter school to tap the state's education funds on a per-student basis.  Since then, every other corner in the Valley of the Sun has a charter school on it, right across from the Starbucks.

I think charter schools are mostly a scam. I know there are some that function very well and all, but that’s not true for the majority. They serve two purposes imo: enrich politicians and their cronies, and destroy public education/control the curriculum. And they are becoming more popular in many other countries as well. Call me paranoid if you want, but I think it’s all tied in w/ this global fascist movement we are seeing in so many places. The glass half full is that the whole thing is push back from progressivism sweeping over the globe, and that despite their “best” efforts, they can’t win b/c they’re the minority. 

40 minutes ago, Altherion said:

She is, at best, a useful idiot that Russia can use to increase the chances that Biden loses to Trump.  She also claimed in 2016 that the election was rigged and that voting machines were hacked, filing lawsuits and/or asking for recounts in 3 states, all without any evidence.  The exact same things Trump would do 4 years later.

8 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

She is, at best, a useful idiot that Russia can use to increase the chances that Biden loses to Trump.  She also claimed in 2016 that the election was rigged and that voting machines were hacked, filing lawsuits and/or asking for recounts in 3 states, all without any evidence.  The exact same things Trump would do 4 years later.

Kind of feel like claiming elections were rigged with no evidence and then being proven wrong should automatically make you ineligible to ever run for office again. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Kind of feel like claiming elections were rigged with no evidence and then being proven wrong should automatically make you ineligible to ever run for office again. 

Yeah, it's a pretty clear attempt to undermine democracy.  I hated that Trump won in 2016, but that doesn't justify doing these things.