NBA the slenderman cometh.

BigFatCoward

I just don’t think your theory on physical play shortening careers has much merit. Sure it was more physical and that had a cost back then. You can see the same thing with hockey and football that were also previously more physical. But that doesn’t mean that players now in sports last longer because as contact has gone down the number of non contact injuries have gone up. I don’t recall in the 90s many football players running down the open field and just blowing out their knee, yet this happens all the time in the NFL now.

I would theorize that the number of injured 90s basketball got from tough play was balanced out by the static nature of 90s hoops that led to less movement injuries.

16 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

But that doesn’t mean that players now in sports last longer because as contact has gone down the number of non contact injuries have gone up. I don’t recall in the 90s many football players running down the open field and just blowing out their knee, yet this happens all the time in the NFL now.

I would theorize that the number of injured 90s basketball got from tough play was balanced out by the static nature of 90s hoops that led to less movement injuries.

Yeah, really think you're overstating the impact of non-contact injuries here.  Or rather, the cause of non-contact injuries.  First, they happened back then too!  Second, suggesting it makes up for (or upends) how physical the NBA was decades ago vis-a-vis today when it comes to injuries is absurd on its face.

And BTW, the NFL is entirely different.  There might be many more rules to protect (certain) players, but the NFL is easily just as violent as it used to be.  Indeed, I'd argue more so.

I am waiting for proof of these physical play injuries as compared to non physical play. For example look at https://www.complex.com/sports/a/elias-ahmed/the-25-best-nba-careers-ruined-by-injury Not a lot in there from physical play. Yes physical play has a cost and it sure cost players some missed games. But not seeing much signs physical play ended anyone’s careers. 

4 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

For example look at https://www.complex.com/sports/a/elias-ahmed/the-25-best-nba-careers-ruined-by-injury Not a lot in there from physical play. Yes physical play has a cost and it sure cost players some missed games. But not seeing much signs physical play ended anyone’s careers. 

Yikes.  Again, this wasn't the original discussion, at all.  That link has tons of players that have nothing to do with skinny really tall guys.  Hell, even some of the really tall guys you listed - like Yao Ming - weren't skinny at all.  Again, you're arguing against something I never was saying.

Injuries are random. Less so when a player keeps getting hurt.

30 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On a different note.

Is Bronny eligible for draft this year, or next year?

I doubt he gets drafted this year. As of now he doesn't seem like a NBA player.

11 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I doubt he gets drafted this year. As of now he doesn't seem like a NBA player.

Unless… a team decides they’d like to make a run at being the team to have LeBron and Bronny both play.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Unless… a team decides they’d like to make a run at being the team to have LeBron and Bronny both play.

Eh, I think the value of that ship has sailed unless you're one of the smaller market teams. Or maybe Chicago. But Bronny is averaging 6/2/2 with inefficient shooting. He's just not a NBA player. Drafting him to lure LeBron would make sense five years ago. Not anymore. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Eh, I think the value of that ship has sailed unless you're one of the smaller market teams. Or maybe Chicago. But Bronny is averaging 6/2/2 with inefficient shooting. He's just not a NBA player. Drafting him to lure LeBron would make sense five years ago. Not anymore. 

Depends. If you believe there's an NBA talent in Bronny (in contrast to him being an NBA (ready) player), that might be still be worth it, if you get him #10 or so (depending on how deep this draft class is).

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Depends. If you believe there's an NBA talent in Bronny (in contrast to him being an NBA (ready) player), that might be still be worth it, if you get him #10 or so (depending on how deep this draft class is).

Taking him at 10 right now seems insane. He's a second round pick at best. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

Yeah I could still see a team using a 2nd rounder on him, but that's just cuz 2nd round picks don't really have any value anyway.

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Didn't LeBron already sign an extension with the Lakers? Not like he's becoming a free agent this year anyway.

He has a player option for next year.

Yeah, they don't. Joker is even more absurd than Purdy. 

Regarding LeBron, he still puts up great stats, but they seem empty at times and you can no longer bank on him to never get hurt. I wouldn't plan my team around him unless the main goal was to draw attention. 

Agreed, I don't really see the appeal for any other team to upend their organization for a one-year vanity exercise for LeBron.  Lakers could just do it as a favor/to convince him to opt-in for the year though.

Warriors isn't the worst idea and LeBron and Steph are both cool with building super teams (plus Klay and Green are falling off). It would be pretty funny if that's how they both got to five rings (neither is happening this year).