Trailer Thread

AncalagonTheBlack

The Three Body trailer looks absolutely spectacular. Is it possible that we can get two good shows in such a short window (Shogun and Three Body Problem)?

It would be a major achievement in television if Benioff and Weiss can actually pull this series off successfully.

Edited by IFR

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Fallout looks absolutely perfect. 

6 hours ago, IFR said:

The Three Body trailer looks absolutely spectacular.

I'm definitely in the Fallout wagon here, even if, not having played the game, I have no idea what Kalbear's second sentence means.

3 Body Problem looks to me a bit like Lost/Westworld hybrid, and I'm not sure it's a good thing.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Fallout looks absolutely perfect. It's remarkable how...well, cheap a lot of the Volume stuff looks compared to when they don't use it. 

Seeing Sir Goggins alone has me sold. I could install Fallout 1 again right now (alas Windows dislikes it over the years but we've dealt with that), I could still tell you nearly each locker in the Wastes had what ammo or loot. I've never really gotten into 1st or 3rd person games but damned if I don't consider Fallout 1 and 2 among my Pantheon, and I'm glad the series has continued great success. 

That trailer was fantastic. Consider me truly psyched up, as I was for Mad Max Fury Road - which surpassed my expectations and is my absolute favorite movie of all time. If this Fallout series mimics its trailer, I'll be stupidly happy about it and like Fury Road, re-watch it all the damn time with glee.

6 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I'm definitely in the Fallout wagon here, even if, not having played the game, I have no idea what Kalbear's second sentence means.

The volume is a filmmaking system that replaces green screen by effectively projecting things around the actors and displays images from the cameras perspective. It is used a lot in star wars TV shows and other genre shows - the live action avatar the last Airbender uses it. And it's clear from the trailer that fallout doesn't nearly as much - there are a lot more true outside shots, a lot more practical effects (like all of the power armor). 

Yeah the Fallout trailer looks to have gotten almost everything right. I'm kind of amazed. I didn't really think much of the game would translate that well to a tv show, but lots of little details in there just feel right, from the Power Armour, to the Vault suits, the way Ghouls look and act. Even having the music in there (was that from Fallout 1, 2 or 3?) works brilliantly. 

13 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

3 Body Problem looks to me a bit like Lost/Westworld hybrid, and I'm not sure it's a good thing.

I suppose the Fallout trailer has more of an effect on those who have played the games. The production values look reasonably good, but to someone like me who hasn't played the games, the aesthetics look...silly. Which may be the intended effect, but it doesn't really draw my attention. If there's good reception I may watch it, but I find that Amazon Studios has thus far been extremely good at peddling mediocre fare, so I'm not holding my breath.

I'm very aware of how absolutely brilliant the story of The Three Body Problem is. And the review embargo lifts two weeks before the episodes are released, which is a very good sign. Also, apparently the special effects are very limited in the show, which is yet again another good sign. Of course, Netflix is also very unreliable when it comes to quality shows, but it does occasionally land the mark.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:45 PM, IFR said:

I suppose the Fallout trailer has more of an effect on those who have played the games. The production values look reasonably good, but to someone like me who hasn't played the games, the aesthetics look...silly. Which may be the intended effect, but it doesn't really draw my attention. If there's good reception I may watch it, but I find that Amazon Studios has thus far been extremely good at peddling mediocre fare, so I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, the silliness is kind of the point. Fallout was never a game that took the setting especially seriously, it was always a weird kitsch 'Jetsons gone wrong' vibe that made it very appealing and made it stand out from the crowd. I always remember playing those first two games and being mesmerised by the old time music in front of imagery of an apocalypse, with cartoon visuals. It very much has it's own aesthetic and the show, so far, seems to have done a good job capturing it. 

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Ah, so they have the rumpnissar! Smart to leave them right to the end. Linda said there'd be riots in the streets if they left them out of this.

Some of this was filmed like 10 minutes away at Bohus Fortress.

Fuck me The Crow looks absolutely terrible. I'm not against re-adaptations, even if the original version was good- you can get some really interesting things out of a second take on the same vision. 

But that? They might as well have gotten JJ Abrams to direct it. Absolute hackery.

It really does. It looks so bright and shiny and beautiful, like just another Marvel movie. I do think the Crow could be told and retold if people wanted to, but that? Adds nothing and forgets everything that was good about it. 

Crow 2: City of Angels is maybe the first truly awful movie I remember watching in a cinema, maybe the first time I realised just how bad a movie could be, how much worse a sequel could be. 

Maybe this is the spiritual sequel to that travesty.

Edited by Heartofice