Hope for the Bolton family

The Frey family has a much greater chance of surviving the rage of the Starks because of their numbers.  Location also make the Boltons vulnerable if the Starks were to come to power again.  It appears to me from an important scene in the Palace of Dust that it will be Her Majesty, Daenerys Targaryen, who will judge the Freys and that is good news for fairness and justice.  The Boltons will not be so lucky.  But there is still a glimmer of hope for at least one of them to survive the revenge of the Starks and that is Fat Walda Bolton.  She deserves to live and give birth to a Bolton baby who will inherit the Bolton holdings. 

Arya will be told of Jon's treasonous conduct and how he was killed by his own men.  She will make it her objective to murder the brothers of the watch.  Bran will see his bastard brother's death and that will push him over to the evil side.  The Others will resurrect Jon and I am assuming he will come back like a wight but with his mind still working because of the wolf bond.  His wight body will make him even harder to kill and so more dangerous.  Three Starks with abilities to carry out mass murders will bring chaos and death in the North.  Ramsay deserves punishment for his acts.  Roose is cruel but not more so compared to Stannis and Tywin.  Roose has done nothing illegal in recent time to earn punishment.  Robb Stark was the lawbreaker who was rebelling.  Anything Roose did against Robb is not considered illegal by their laws.  Roose was not only pardoned for the Robb Stark Rebellion in trade for his valuable assistance in putting down the same rebellion.  He was handsomely rewarded with the North which now belong to him.  Roose cannot be touched legally. 

I still do not hold much hope for Roose Bolton surviving.  I am hopeful and would like to have Lady Walda Bolton to survive and birth an heir to the Dreadfort.  I would even find it appealing if Fat Walda births a child who inherits Winterfell and the North as long as she gives her loyalty to Daenerys Targaryen.  Fat Walda has done no wrong and nothing that has broken the laws.  Her child will be an innocent who can be brought up properly.  The Frey family are not especially cruel.  They have not proven themselves  quarrelsome in their history.  The family leaders have operated the family business with competence and fairness over the generations and led the family to their present day prosperity.  Walda's baby can learn a lot of valuable skills from her side of the family to prepare to govern the North on behalf of the Targaryen. 

Dunno why I'm bothering to post here but call it holiday boredom :)

Everyone involved with the Red Wedding will be having a rough day at some point soon.  Roose hasn't done anything illegal...did you say "lately"?  You can twist the situation around and around until it fits the narrative you want, but he fought for the Starks and when it suited him he turned his cloak and killed his king for a reward.  You can hate on Rob, Jon, and anyone else, but there isn't anyone in the story who can claim innocence or righteousness in their actions without someone from the other side taking issue with it, which is why this is a compelling story.  That being said, Roose is F'd, the Karstarks, the Umbers, the Dustin's, the whomever else's are all going down.

Roose SHOULD be able to hold Winterfell against Stannis but it stands to reason that Stannis will have a way in if he survives the Battle of Ice.  The Manderly initiative should see to that.  Fat Walda and her Bolton baby along with all living Freys will meet a brutal end whether from the North directly, Dany's justice when she comes, Arya, the Brotherhood, or whoever else wants a piece. The house will be extinguished along with the Boltons.  Nobody will miss them except you (original poster), but hold onto your hope, maybe one of your faves will make it through)...but like Fat Walda, you may have chosen the wrong side.

On 12/26/2023 at 7:21 PM, Adaneth said:

The only hope I have for the Bolton family is to see them flayed. Their castle razed to the ground and sowed it with salt. :wub:

I hope you don’t include Walda. She’s done nothing at all to deserve that. Arya has done more wrongs than Walda ever did. 

Edited by Moiraine Sedai

Frey's are doomed. Yes some may survive. A few that had little to do with the Red Wedding would be preferred: Perwyn and Olyvar are a couple examples. I am ok with Fat Walda being on this list. She didn't do anything. Although, I doubt she will be left alone to rule the Dreadfort and raise her Bolton kid. That kid would make a good ward for the Starks.

That being said, all other Bolton's and Frey's are in for a rough ride in the following books. "The North Remembers" is brought up enough times to reinforce how little of a chance there is of the North letting this go.  Walda and her kid may end up being the last of the Bolton's. Of course if Ramsay outlives Roose... her chances of survival diminish drastically. 

29 minutes ago, Northern Sword said:

Frey's are doomed. Yes some may survive. A few that had little to do with the Red Wedding would be preferred: Perwyn and Olyvar are a couple examples. I am ok with Fat Walda being on this list. She didn't do anything. Although, I doubt she will be left alone to rule the Dreadfort and raise her Bolton kid. That kid would make a good ward for the Starks.

That being said, all other Bolton's and Frey's are in for a rough ride in the following books. "The North Remembers" is brought up enough times to reinforce how little of a chance there is of the North letting this go.  Walda and her kid may end up being the last of the Bolton's. Of course if Ramsay outlives Roose... her chances of survival diminish drastically. 

I doubt that the Starks will be willing to give another chance to the Boltons after this last and most odious betrayal. Maybe they will spare Walda and her baby if the winter or Ramsay or something else don't get them first, but I doubt that they'll have any power or even a single building for them after.

The Bolton lands are most likely going to be shared between loyal Stark bannermen such as the Manderly, Umber and Hornwood and perhaps house Thenn to give them a seat and some lands.

Edited by Terrorthatflapsinthenight9

4 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

I doubt that the Starks will be willing to give another chance to the Boltons after this last and most odious betrayal. Maybe they will spare Walda and her baby if the winter or Ramsay or something else don't get them first, but I doubt that they'll have any power or even a single building for them after.

The Bolton lands are most likely going to be shared between loyal Stark bannermen such as the Manderly, Umber and Hornwood and perhaps house Thenn to give them a seat and some lands.

I don't disagree at all. The Bolton's will lose lands and maybe their castle. But there is a slim chance Walda escapes their vengeance and I don't see the Starks as infant killers. But a Bolton Ward makes sense.

The most dangerous threat to the Bolton family are the White Walkers when Bran or Jon lets them pass through the Wall for a crazy act of desperation to get revenge for the Starks. Hosteen Frey and his boys will get the same thing coming to Roose and Ramsay. Wayman is more of a monster than Roose though and he too will get punished but not by the Starks. Ramsay is the worst and he will get what’s coming. But you know Jon Snow also deserves punishment for betraying the Watch and murdering his sworn brother in Janos Slynt.  I will vote for him to get cremated with Drogon’s fire.  Walda is a Frey who knows how the Game is played but the White Walkers and Jon Snow are not the playing kind. The White Walkers want something on her side of the Wall and Walda might figure it out to save herself. It will just be her bad luck if Jon, Arya, or Bran gets to her. Those Starks want blood and won’t spare Walda. Best hope for Walda to get herself back to the twins and far from the Stark pack. 

On 1/2/2024 at 1:42 PM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Both, first have them flayed and then burn them and the Dreadfort.

Just killed will do. I never understood the people who want the bad guys to go down so bad, they're perfectly fine with the good guys acting as bad as them or worse. 

On 1/4/2024 at 2:10 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Just killed will do. I never understood the people who want the bad guys to go down so bad, they're perfectly fine with the good guys acting as bad as them or worse. 

I don't think there's any way that Ramsay would be getting off with a beheading, if his enemies captured him.

On 1/1/2024 at 5:48 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

I hope you don’t include Walda. She’s done nothing at all to deserve that. Arya has done more wrongs than Walda ever did. 

Nah, I have nothing against poor Walda. But I'm afraid Ramsay will see to her somehow. Either way, I do not think she will survive.