What Are You Reading? 2024 Quarter 1!

Starkess

When I saw the post I checked the list of Penric & Desdemona books and nothing new came up, but I just checked again and saw Demon’s Daughter comes up. I assume this is what is being discussed? My library doesn’t have it yet, it will probably be a while longer.

3 hours ago, Deedles said:

Thank you! I’d missed that this was out. Next stop amazon

You should follow the Upcoming books topic. I posted the release info of the new Penric ebook 2 weeks ago. ;)

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/161831-the-books-coming-out-in-20232024/&do=findComment&comment=9012530

I've just read When We Cease To Understand The World  by Benjamín Labatut. Still processing it. A very unsettling, very effective book, even if I don't think I really agree with its core thesis.

Next up is The Mountain In The Sea by Ray Nayler.

Edited by Liffguard

I've started reading The Hobbit to my daughter two nights ago. We're only a few pages in, she seemed to like it well enough on that first evening but didn't want to continue with it yesterday. I'll try it again tonight and see what happens. :D 

@baxus Isn't she like 4 or something? I'd think it's a bit too early. 7 or 8 would be more appropriate.

I finally got around to start reading Cormoran Strike series by J.K. Rowling. Finished the first installment and halfway through the second. So far, so good. The second seems better than the first, so it's probably a good sign.

On 1/21/2024 at 5:38 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Probably emo goths would enjoy the constant refrain of the “the darkness”

This is hilarious. They totally would!

polishgenius said it perfectly why it's considered a classic in more ways than one.  I do remember how much of a chore it felt to read that book though. Didn't particularly enjoy it.

21 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

@baxus Isn't she like 4 or something? I'd think it's a bit too early. 7 or 8 would be more appropriate.

She's 5 (and a half :D ) and yes, it does seem it's too early. We've read some 4-5 pages and stopped for the night. After that she has no interest in continuing. I won't try to push her since she obviously isn't at the level of concentration required for a story that long.

Or she might just not care about the story.  

6 hours ago, baxus said:

I won't try to push her since she obviously isn't at the level of concentration required for a story that long.

I'm pretty sure it's the former. It runs in the family. ;)

6 hours ago, baxus said:

She's 5 (and a half :D ) and yes, it does seem it's too early. We've read some 4-5 pages and stopped for the night. After that she has no interest in continuing. I won't try to push her since she obviously isn't at the level of concentration required for a story that long.

Keep after it, if not with The Hobbit right now.  Reading with your kids is the greatest thing a parent can do, both for you and for them.

We read to her every night before bedtime and we all enjoy it very much.

We've read all five Spiderwick Chronicles books to her a year ago. That's what gave me the idea to try with The Hobbit, but Spiderwick has a lot of illustrations, chapters are shorter and, probably just as important, there is a badass girl protagonist.

3 hours ago, baxus said:

We read to her every night before bedtime and we all enjoy it very much.

We've read all five Spiderwick Chronicles books to her a year ago. That's what gave me the idea to try with The Hobbit, but Spiderwick has a lot of illustrations, chapters are shorter and, probably just as important, there is a badass girl protagonist.

How about anthropomorphic owls?  Guardians of Ga'Hoole - Wikipedia

I want to give a big boost to a Librivox recording of The Fall of Troy, the post-Homeric epic by Quintus Smyrneaus, as read by Titurel from a translation by Arthur Sanders Way.

So the epic poem The Iliad by Homer is definitely epic, but in truth only covers a month or so in the ninth year of the siege of Troy.  It is the story of the Rage of Achilles, and the consequences thereof, but it doesn't really tell us the tale of how the Trojan War ends.

Quintus Smyrneaus spent the time and energy to write an epic poem to solve that problem called the Posthomerica, from which we get The Fall of Troy.  He gathered up all the stories, pieces and parts, and cast them into an epic poetry modeled on the Homeric cycles to do so.  Ever wondered how many horrible ways edged weapons can be used to slay and maim an enemy?  This should satisfy your inquiry.  Ever wondered if there was a story that used even more similes than Homer?  Again, here you go.  You will be surprised at how much of Edith Hamilton's Mythology actually derives from Smyrna rather than Homer's original plot.

Meanwhile the translation by Way is one that I find to be heavily influenced by the speech patterns of Old English.  Homeric speech patterns are very interesting, and they inform modern English today.  And when someone with a strong background in epics like Beowulf and the Doomsday book sets a pastiche of Homer into English, the result is truly musical, flowing smoothly and powerfully off the tongue.

And finally, everyone knows that Librivox readers produce works of wildly varying quality.  That being said, whoever this Titurel guy is, his single contribution to Librivox is this work, and it is A PERFORMANCE.  Damn, son, you were not messing around when you recorded this one.  If every Librivox reader summoned up the spirit to create a single work of this quality, Audible would go out of business.  Go ahead, listen to a chapter.  Holy smokes.

There are only a few books recorded on Librivox that I can give my unalloyed recommendation, and this is definitely at the top of that list.  Download a copy and listen to it yourself.

At the recommendation of one or more people on this board quite awhile ago, I read Master Assassins and Sidewinders by Robert V.S. Redick, book 1 and 2 of the Fire Sacraments trilogy. Absolutely stellar. Well realized characters, one of the most interesting and imaginative but fully realized worlds I've read for a long time, and a plot that pulls you along and grows and grows in import over time. Run, don't walk to read these!

Unfortunately Sidewinders ended on more of a cliffhanger than I'd like - does anyone know when book 3 (Siege) is coming out?

I've also read Witch King by Martha Wells and Bookshops and Bonedust by Travis Baldree. The former was quite disappointing - too much happened without any proper world building or background. It was essentially a political mystery but you didn't know any of the players or their motivations, so it was impossible to "solve," the world building was too much of a sketch, and I didn't care about or for any of the characters. It was all really flat. The latter was fine, but not as cozy/satisfying as Legends and Lattes, and felt a little unnecessary. 

5 hours ago, Underfoot said:

At the recommendation of one or more people on this board quite awhile ago, I read Master Assassins and Sidewinders by Robert V.S. Redick, book 1 and 2 of the Fire Sacraments trilogy. Absolutely stellar. Well realized characters, one of the most interesting and imaginative but fully realized worlds I've read for a long time, and a plot that pulls you along and grows and grows in import over time. Run, don't walk to read these!

Unfortunately Sidewinders ended on more of a cliffhanger than I'd like - does anyone know when book 3 (Siege) is coming out?

Yes! These are great. I tried to engage the author on Twitter last year, but got no response about book 3. I hope it's on its way.

2 hours ago, Peadar said:

Yes! These are great. I tried to engage the author on Twitter last year, but got no response about book 3. I hope it's on its way.

I found this interview from last year:

I am rushing to finish Siege, the final volume in The Fire Sacraments epic fantasy trilogy. I’ve reached a point of great momentum and great satisfaction. I wake up each morning, and lie awake many nights, thinking about the next pages, the next chapter. Still a lot of work to be done, but I can see the destination now. I’m really hopeful now that readers of Master Assassins and Sidewinders are going to have their expectations met in this final volume. 

No info on the third book on the skyhorse/talos publishing website, Goodreads, or Amazon. Hopefully 2025??

On 1/8/2024 at 8:01 PM, polishgenius said:

Couple of things that may be relevant to your decision: one, the ship is capable of manifesting a human avatar so it's not some weird woman/machine action, and two, while there is one sex scene and a couple of other breathless moments, the focus of the romance is much more a character thing about two people finding their way in a love they weren't expecting than 'garr I'm so horny'. 

So I ended up reading Red Scholars Wake. I was thinking this was going to be the ship having something like an organic human avatar it could project it's consciousness into but it's human avatar is a sort of virtual reality projection with 'bots' inside for physical contact. So, yeah, it is mainly weird woman/machine action. Just in general I don't mind the idea of sentient machines (in this case mainly ships) being part of a sci fi society but the way they're treated as if they're basically human in this book was a bit weird and didn't really work for me. I'm not really sure why a sentient space ship wants to have a sexual relationship.

Spoiler

I was actually thinking there might be a dark twist with humans being used to make the organic cores of the mindships or something to explain it but apparently not.

Next up I'm going to give Donovan Cook's Son of Anger a try.

Edited by ljkeane