NFL Playoffs 2024: How The Hell Are The Lions In The Final Four??? Inconceivable!

The extra point was frustrating, but not gonna put this on Moody.  Particularly considering he made two 50+ field goals.  Those were kicks Shanahan wasn't too comfortable having Robbie Gould even attempt.

It's also the fallacy of the predetermined outcome.  If the Niners are up by four instead of three, it's just as probable Mahomes wins that game with a touchdown during regulation instead of settling for the field goal.

Just now, DMC said:

The extra point was frustrating, but not gonna put this on Moody.  Particularly considering he made two 50+ field goals.  Those were kicks Shanahan wasn't too comfortable having Robbie Gould even attempt.

It's also the fallacy of the predetermined outcome.  If the Niners are up by four instead of three, it's just as probable Mahomes wins that game with a touchdown during regulation instead of settling for the field goal.

Yeah, if we are up four nearing the end of regulation; I just sort of assume the Chiefs win it there outright.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

But how would you like to set a Super Bowl record for longest kick just to have the other guy come along and beat it a few minutes later. :lol: 

LOL, yeah that was pretty funny.  Couldn't believe 55 yards beat the Super Bowl record in the first place...

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sure, and it is Mahomes at the end of the day, but you’d still obviously rather be up by 4 in that situation. Especially with the Chiefs being bad in the red zone for much of the game. 

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, on paper obviously yeah, but getting lucky on health is always sparing for any team and the Niners just blew their best chance in that regard.

Still don't get how that dude tore his ACL on the sideline. That's even worse than Gramatica. . 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Still don't get how that dude tore his ACL on the sideline. That's even worse than Gramatica. . 

Well, like Rhom said, it was the Achilles.  Liked this quote from Kittle in the postgame:  "Hopefully, he hits up Aaron Rodgers and figures out how to heal that quickly."

As for how he injures it basically by just being over-excited, again:

(To be clear, I'm joking around.  I sincerely doubt Greenlaw has ever been on cocaine during games.  He just, ya know, constantly acts like he just bumped 20 lines of fishscale.)

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, like Rhom said, it was the Achilles.  Liked this quote from Kittle in the postgame:  "Hopefully, he hits up Aaron Rodgers and figures out how to heal that quickly."

As for how he injures it basically by just being over-excited, again:

(To be clear, I'm joking around.  I sincerely doubt Greenlaw has ever been on cocaine during games.  He just, ya know, constantly acts like he just bumped 20 lines of fishscale.)

Maybe I just misread the first report, but I thought it said ACL. That's even worse for him.

This game is like an incredible play. The first act was bad, the second act was exciting and the third act was wild. Then when you sprinkle in all the star talent around it you're turning things up to 11. And that's before you factor in the biggest popstar in the world is dating one of the team captains. It was a crazy night, 

Well friends, draft talk will come up sooner than expected, but as always, this thread will go pretty dark soon.

Also, feel like it should be mentioned during the Niners' last drive in regulation the Chiefs defender - can't remember who it was - that delayed the game based on a finger injury.  He sat on the field for, like, two minutes getting medical attention.  For a finger injury.  Pretty sure you can get up and walk off the field in that case.  Indeed, he tried to stay in the game!

It's not a big deal and I don't wanna come off as a huge whiner, but it plainly gave the Chiefs defense a breather when the Niners were rolling and disrupted their momentum -- which was obviously the intent.  In other words, blatant cheating.  Hell, even my dad texted me about it.  And outside of when he's hospitalized and drugged up my dad doesn't text me unless he wants to tell me how I'm living my life wrong.

I was unaware that playoff overtime was different than regular season overtime. (FG gets other team possession, TD wins it.)

So what happens if KC is held to a FG?  They go sudden death?  Or is it like college where they keep alternating until one can’t keep up?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I was unaware that playoff overtime was different than regular season overtime. (FG gets other team possession, TD wins it.)

So what happens if KC is held to a FG?  They go sudden death?  Or is it like college where they keep alternating until one can’t keep up?

They said that if the score is tied after each gets a possession, then it is sudden death.  So if SF scores a TD on the first drive, they are in really good shape.  KC would have to consider going for 2, because otherwise even with fg wins it for the niners.

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

They said that if the score is tied after each gets a possession, then it is sudden death.  So if SF scores a TD on the first drive, they are in really good shape.  KC would have to consider going for 2, because otherwise even with fg wins it for the niners.

I missed that part.

I did catch Shanahan after the game say that part of the strategy for taking the ball first was the chance to possess the ball twice.  The other part was that the defense was gassed after the last two minutes of regulation.

The Niners defense played well enough to win, but the offense couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.  If you told me that KC would score 6 points with 2 turnovers on their first 9 drives, I would expect SF to run away with the game.  But at that point, they were only up 4.  You cannot let a team as dangerous as KC hang around like that and expect to win. 

KC's defense also played great, particularly the secondary which had a ton of huge plays.  Both defenses wore out by the 4th quarter, but to some extent that is to be expected, and KC nonetheless held SF to two field goals rather than TDs on their final two drives, which is impressive.

KC had some luck this game, most notably with the punt hitting a SF player, but also with several fumbles that bounced their way.  Refs did a good job, certainly weren't in the bag for KC.  I actually thought there were several spots that were pretty unfavorable for the Chiefs that meant 3rd/4th and short rather than a first down. 

It's odd how there are several great Super Bowls that started out pretty sleepy before they finally got going.  NE-CAR and ARI-PIT were both extremely slow for the first 28 minutes, and this one it wasn't until midway through the 3rd that things picked up.  But once it did, this was a great one. 

SF really, really had their chances.  Tough loss for Niners fans. 

I was really surprised that the niners started their first 3 3rd quarter possessions with a pass play.  All three times it set them back and forced situations where they had to pass after.  They were cutting up the defense on the ground, so it really felt like Shannahan got in his own way (again) trying to get cute instead of pounding the ball.  Didn't make sense to me, but at the same time it seemed that CMC was absolutely gassed by the end of the game.

9 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I was really surprised that the niners started their first 3 3rd quarter possessions with a pass play.  All three times it set them back and forced situations where they had to pass after.  They were cutting up the defense on the ground, so it really felt like Shannahan got in his own way (again) trying to get cute instead of pounding the ball.  Didn't make sense to me, but at the same time it seemed that CMC was absolutely gassed by the end of the game.

It does seem surprising that the Chiefs played probably the two best running teams in the league (BAL + SF) and in both games the monday morning quarterback take was that those teams didn't run the ball enough.  You'd think after watching the Baltimore tape that SF would have resolved not to make that mistake again.  Because KC is really tough to pass against, their secondary is excellent and their pass rush, while not exceptional, is reliable and confusing enough to get free rushers every once in while. 

But SF kept putting the ball in Purdy's hands on the biggest moments.  Sometimes it worked (4th and 3), sometimes it didn't.  And the problem isn't Purdy - he played as well as I could have expected, and better than he did in the last two games.  It was just that SF had a real opportunity to grind down the KC defense and make that great secondary not terribly relevant.  They didn't take it. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I just checked the NFL rules about playoff OT and say nothing about sudden death. Each team still gets a possession, and they keep playing until someone scores more points during their possession.