Star Wars: Far Far Away From What You Want It To Be

SpaceChampion

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

No she doesn't feel like a different character all. If anything, there is a bigger shift between episodes 4 and 5.

I feel that is also true,

Spoiler

she does feel like a different person, between those two episodes as well. All without ever showing us why or how her morals changed.

Edited by sifth

So we just watched The Force Awakens tonight. He liked it and gave me a ranking of the 7 movies so far. Be  ready to have mind blown. :P

1. Return of the Jedi

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Force Awakens

4. Phantom Menace

5. Empire Strikes Back

6. A New Hope

7. Attack of the Clones

My wife and I agree with 1 and 7 on the list. (Always liked Jedi more than Empire) But we put the original 3 tops ofc. I’d also put Sith as fourth on my list so I can understand ranking it high.   He’s very much into ranking things so he gives us rankings on everything.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

So we just watched The Force Awakens tonight. He liked it and gave me a ranking of the 7 movies so far. Be  ready to have mind blown. :P

1. Return of the Jedi

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Force Awakens

4. Phantom Menace

5. Empire Strikes Back

6. A New Hope

7. Attack of the Clones

I agree with 2 and 7. Why’d he like ROTJ so much ? The teddy bears ruins that movie, I hated them even as a kid!

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

Posted (edited)

Well an eight year old would generally find the Ewoks cute. Heck so do my wife and I. But for me the reason I like Jedi the most is it has the best space battle of any Star Wars movie and the best lightsaber fight (mix of emotion and style). Plus it has the Emperor at his evilest best. Throw in a great set piece to start and I can deal with fifteen minutes of Ewoks. Oh also has my favorite ending I just adore the ending montage.

Empire is great but loses quite a bit on rewatch since it drags in the middle and if you know the spoiler well it loses something. Ofc he knew well ahead of this that Vader was Luke’s father so the ending for him lacks that bite. Ofc when I watched as a kid there was no internet.

Edited by Arakasi

1 hour ago, Arakasi said:

Well an eight year old would generally find the Ewoks cute. Heck so do my wife and I. But for me the reason I like Jedi the most is it has the best space battle of any Star Wars movie and the best lightsaber fight (mix of emotion and style). Plus it has the Emperor at his evilest best. Throw in a great set piece to start and I can deal with fifteen minutes of Ewoks. Oh also has my favorite ending I just adore the ending montage.

Empire is great but loses quite a bit on rewatch since it drags in the middle and if you know the spoiler well it loses something. Ofc he knew well ahead of this that Vader was Luke’s father so the ending for him lacks that bite. Ofc when I watched as a kid there was no internet.

Same. RotJ is probably my favorite of the original 3 movies. Plus there's a lot of great work done in Williams' score that I find haunting, the drama in the throne room is terrific stuff, and space battle is legit fantastic, and I don't mind the Ewoks in the slightest and enjoy their presence on-screen. 

Sure, the second Death Star thing is a bit trite, but I can buy into the concept intellectually, so have no trouble with "this again?". Also, that it's incomplete and has this eerie skeletal look about it makes it kind of nightmarishly haunting, somehow, and visually interesting

And Mark Hamill does some really good dramatic work in this movie, and I like the way the movie wraps up his arc. And the finale montage music in both the original and special edition releases are both equally good and memorable. There's simply a lot to enjoy in the movie. 

I maintain ROTJ would have been a significantly better film if they instead paired up Han with Lando on the Millenium Falcon and they're storyline was about them reconciling after the events of ESB while blowing up the Death Star II, then replace the Ewoks with the Wookies as was the original intention to finally give Chewbacca an arc in helping his kind revolt against the Empire with the help of Leia.

17 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Lol keep crying about how you hate the prequels 

Mate you kicked off here because a child liked Return of the Jedi, like you do almost literally every time someone holds a different opinion on media to you. Wind your neck in ffs. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I’ve always thought of ROTJ as half, very good sequel to Empire and half cynical ploy for Lucas to sell a shit load of toys. 

Actually he switched wookies for ewoks because he wanted Chewbacca to be a unique character. Don’t get me wrong I hate the ewoks too,  but the reasoning for them wasn’t based around merchandising.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

13 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Actually he switched wookies for ewoks because he wanted Chewbacca to be a unique character. Don’t get me wrong I hate the ewoks too,  but the reasoning for them wasn’t based around merchandising.

Mate I owned ewok toys as a kid. I was definitely more interested in those than getting an emperor model.

One of my most depressing memories as a child was getting the ‘old man Anakin’ figure. What was I meant to do with old geezer?

There were actually multiple reasons why George switched out the Wookies for the Ewoks

-Chewie being a space smuggler implied that that his race couldn't be primitive (I don't really buy this explanation).

-Wookie costumes were too complicated to produce en-masse and the production crew was worried that one of the actors or extras would end up getting shot by a hunter mistakening them for bigfoot during filming.

-Toys and money 

For the record, Return of the Jedi was the first Star Wars film I saw growing up. I was at the video store and 1993 me, thought Darth Vaders mask looked cool, and my mother or grandmother, just picked any of the 3 films, at random. When you're a child, that film is mind blowing, even if you have no idea what's going on, lol