Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Frimpong sounds like either a great college drinking game or a terrible STD. I refuse to believe there is a team called it. 

He's missing a G, but here's Frimmy.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Dunno how Tywin could possibly get that confused- it would be the act of a madman to refer to a team name in the singular. 

I assumed it was a city name, and there are tons of teams with names that are singular. The hockey team here is called the Wild. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I assumed it was a city name, and there are tons of teams with names that are singular. The hockey team here is called the Wild. 

I was making a joke about the American tendency to refer to teams as 'is' instead of 'are' but also even the Wild's wikipedia entry refers to them via plural pronouns and shit. 

13 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Remaining games, who's fixtures are tougher?

We're 5 games into the second half of the season. So both teams have to play pretty much the rest of the league.

Leverkusen have the advantage of having more points, that's the key issue with Bayern not looking invulnerable (they didn't look invulnerable last year eitehr, but there they had Dortmund to bottle it). Right now Leverkusen look much more like the team to win the next ten games than Bayern.

Bayern's big psychological edge against all the other German clubs usually has is this City and Liverpool swagger of, "What do you want from us? We will win this game and the league, now step aside." Leverkusen stepped up and said: "No, you are not." ANd after today's game Müller stepped in front of the cameras and channeled Kahn calling out his team lacking balls.

Funnily enough, that Bayern mentality of expectation to actually win games was apparently something novel to Kane.

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

Side note, the Wild has the only current Norwegian NHL player, and as you'd expect from that, they're not very good

Norwegians notoriously being poor at winter sports.

It is odd that ice hockey is the one to never catch on. 

51 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Norwegians notoriously being poor at winter sports.

It is odd that ice hockey is the one to never catch on. 

We are masters at manifesting impoverishment in the face of obscene wealth. Hockey rinks are expensive to build/run, and hockey gear is expensive for parents.

I think you'll scrape by- obviously JWP and Kudus are the two best midfielders on the pitch but without Alvarez in there they're missing something Soucek doesn't quite make up for and you're definitely stronger on the rest of the team, especially since Aguerd is playing.

Edited by polishgenius

Arsenal being strong on set pieces reminds me of the Graham years. 

As it happens, that's about the only similarity between this team and George Graham's team. The other possible similarity is that they do win a lot.

8 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Arsenal being strong on set pieces reminds me of the Graham years. 

Well that was another one quickly. 

ETA: Hahaha. Beat. Them. Down!

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.