Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

5 minutes ago, baxus said:

It's perfectly reasonable star players would be rested, especially when they have some nagging injuries or something.

Er, star players weren’t rested, other than Konate and Robertson on the bench I suppose, that was all the available senior players.

What was the issue with Salah? He played against Brentford, everything was fine, just skipped Luton. Sure, he was injured while away at international duty, but recovered and played after that. I may have missed something, but it seems to me Klopp decided not to push him into playing a game against one of the weakest opponents Liverpool would face this season.

I also may have missed if something was wrong with Darwin. Klopp said he took him off at half time against Brentford because he complained about some small issue and I've read/heard no additional reports on that injury, so it also seems reasonable to assume it's nothing major and he was rested.

Even on Liverpool's site there's no talk of their injuries, just that they will be "monitored" for final tomorrow.

All of that suggests they were rested as a precaution rather than a necessity. 

With Hojlund injured, Omari Forson comes into the side ahead of either Antony or Amad. Interesting one. Will probably mean Rashford up front since Forson isn't a central forward by trade either, but I think he might have played there once or twice in the academy? Not sure. 

Either way, at least ETH has seemingly finally lost patience with Antony, at least for now. 

3 hours ago, baxus said:

What was the issue with Salah? He played against Brentford, everything was fine, just skipped Luton. Sure, he was injured while away at international duty, but recovered and played after that. I may have missed something, but it seems to me Klopp decided not to push him into playing a game against one of the weakest opponents Liverpool would face this season.

I also may have missed if something was wrong with Darwin. Klopp said he took him off at half time against Brentford because he complained about some small issue and I've read/heard no additional reports on that injury, so it also seems reasonable to assume it's nothing major and he was rested.

Even on Liverpool's site there's no talk of their injuries, just that they will be "monitored" for final tomorrow.

All of that suggests they were rested as a precaution rather than a necessity. 

Salah and Nunez both had muscle strains after the Brentford match.  This was widely reported.  Not long term injuries like Jota (MCL), Jones (high ankle sprain) or Alisson (hamstring tear), but enough to miss at least the next match as a precaution. Jota’s impact injury meant that Salah played a lot more minutes than planned on his first game back from a hamstring tear, and Nunez has played a lot of minutes with a lot of sprints — his profile looks like Szoboszlai’s.  The tone of the updates all week makes it sound risky to start them in a final that could got into ET.

If they were just being rested, they would have been on the bench against Luton instead of bringing on 18yr old Danns for his debut — who, in fairness, showed a few nice touches in his ten minutes.

Do Newcastle's players want to see Howe off onto the chopping block (I assume the proverbial one, but with the Newcastle owners, you never know...)?

If they continue to play like this could get real ugly real quick.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

A proper ass whipping is always fun. I was explaining soccer to the new GF and she knew 4-0 was brutal. 

Reminds me of a story. No idea if that's true, but it's funny.

A Schalke fan once approached Klopp after he's lead their rivals Dortmund to a league title. Asking him, how his team (Schalke) could win the league. To which Klopp shrugged and quipped: "Man, how should I explain colour to a blind person?"

No idea, why this story just came to mind.

Arsenal need to stop conceding last-minute goals.

Also, I'd like to see Arsenal use a two goalkeeper system like Wenger had.  Raya starts the league games on the weekends,  and Ramsdale starts the midweek games.

18 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

If they were just being rested, they would have been on the bench against Luton instead of bringing on 18yr old Danns for his debut — who, in fairness, showed a few nice touches in his ten minutes.

But if there is one game where Liverpool should be fine with resting Salah and Nunez completely, letting them have a night off instead of sitting on the bench, it's a home game against a team fighting relegation. Why risk Nunez aggravating his small injury playing last 15 minutes against Luton? Why keep Salah on the bench, when he can stay at home with his family after being away for a couple of weeks on international duty recently. Every single player will be needed in rotation, star players get some rest and maintain their freshness, while second stringers get some games so they can get into form and step up when really needed.

Normally I would be rooting for Chelsea in this one, but I am more a neutral this time. I don't particularly care for this competition and I would like for Klopp to leave with at least one more trophy, in the eventuality that they don't win the PL.