Ukraine War: incompetence vs fecklessness

Kalbear

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Looks like Ukraine aid might sneak through Congress after all - though it might cost the current speaker his job:

House Republicans will pass Ukraine aid after backing down on border demand (msn.com)

MTG is coming across as a Russian stooge.

MTG is a revolting woman.  This love affair with Putin that exists on parts of the Right is just bizarre.  Putin is in no sense a conservative, and he is very much a threat to US (and Western) interests.

‘In no sense a conservative’? I reject that. He’s not an economic conservative, but Putin is unquestionably a social, political, cultural, national and religious conservative. There are more senses in which he is a conservative than not. 

34 minutes ago, mormont said:

‘In no sense a conservative’? I reject that. He’s not an economic conservative, but Putin is unquestionably a social, political, cultural, national and religious conservative. There are more senses in which he is a conservative than not. 

I view him as more a fascist, running a mafia State.  The completely arbitrary system of government, the absence of any real private property rights, or any limits to what the ruler and his henchmen can do to you, are things that mainstream conservatives would dislike (although, obviously, a lot of people who call themselves conservatives in the US are on board with these things). 

Edited by SeanF

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I view him as more a fascist, running a mafia State.  The completely arbitrary system of government, the absence of any real private property rights, or any limits to what the ruler and his henchmen can do to you, are things that mainstream conservatives would dislike (although, obviously, a lot of people who call themselves conservatives in the US are on board with these things). 

Far too many US “Conservatives” have been embracing fascism since, at least, 2020.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

MTG is a revolting woman.  This love affair with Putin that exists on parts of the Right is just bizarre.  Putin is in no sense a conservative, and he is very much a threat to US (and Western) interests.

Bizarre or not. I can tell you what those right wingers find so appealing about him. It's pretty much the same they like about Orban.

It's those silly culture wars conservatives are waging. Putin is their most anti-woke warrior avatar. Anti-LGBTQ, Christian state with a (primarily) white population (at least where it counts).

Anything else takes a backseat. I wish that culture war nonsense was safely contained in the US, but they are actively exporting that nonsense.

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bizarre or not. I can tell you what those right wingers find so appealing about him. It's pretty much the same they like about Orban.

It's those silly culture wars conservatives are waging. Putin is their most anti-woke warrior avatar. Anti-LGBTQ, Christian state with a (primarily) white population (at least where it counts).

Anything else takes a backseat. I wish that culture war nonsense was safely contained in the US, but they are actively exporting that nonsense.

Their version of Christianity at least.  The one that ignores or pretends that Christ’s sermon on the mount, sermon on the plain, directions to care for the stranger, and “the least of thee, don’t exist.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

I just explained what those conservatives like about Putin and Orban. So ofc it's their version of Christianity.

That the orange buffoon is probably pretty indifferent to most culture war items (except for white supremacy, which he seems to firmly believe in) is one of those ironies. Imperfect vessel, I guess.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I just explained what those conservatives like about Putin and Orban. So ofc it's their version of Christianity.

That the orange buffoon is probably pretty indifferent to most culture war items (except for white supremacy, which he seems to firmly believe in) is one of those ironies. Imperfect vessel, I guess.

Yeah… I know. :( 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Their version of Christianity at least.  The one that ignores or pretends that Christ’s sermon on the mount, sermon on the plain, directions to care for the stranger, and “the least of thee, don’t exist.

Patriarch Kyril is one of the world's most unChristian Christians, as indeed are people like MTG and her allies.

Not trying to derail the topic, but to say XY isn’t Christian(insert here Religion of your choosing) is not honest imho. Cyril and others see themselves as christians, they might not be your version of Christians but they’re Christian nonetheless, Christianity is a diverse religion…

The Czechs have apparently „discovered“ other things that could be bought and brought to Ukraine such as missiles (mostly for anti air) and drones. 

8 minutes ago, Bironic said:

Not trying to derail the topic, but to say XY isn’t Christian(insert here Religion of your choosing) is not honest imho. Cyril and others see themselves as christians, they might not be your version of Christians but they’re Christian nonetheless, Christianity is a diverse religion…

Agreed.  That’s why I said their “version” of Christianity.  Not trying to play no true Scotsman.  I’m just pointing out what I think they are missing from the teachings of Christ.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Agreed.  That’s why I said their “version” of Christianity.  Not trying to play no true Scotsman.  I’m just pointing out what I think they are missing from the teachings of Christ.

Nor am I.  They're best described as bad Christians.  Some of the wickedest people in the world can be found in the Churches.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Nor am I.  They're best described as bad Christians.  Some of the wickedest people in the world can be found in the Churches.

Nope, they're just Christians. If you always dismiss the Christians who do bad as no true Christians you'll never fix the problems y'all face.

Ukraine hit the Pervyy Zavod refinery outside Kaluga, setting part of the complex ablaze.

The Russian Volunteer Corps has engaged Chechen forces in Kozinka, Belgorod (on Russian soil). Apparently they took them by surprise and killed 20 Chechens. RVC forces have apparently fired multi-rocket batteries at Russian forces around Grayvoron and Belgorod, although there have been some reports of civilian casualties, which they have to keep a lid on.

Meanwhile, in Russia:

Apparently this has happened at several polling stations.

ETA: Russian glide bombs are now hitting Russian forces in Russia. Looks like an attempt to unseat the rebels from Kozinka.

Edited by Werthead

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Nope, they're just Christians. If you always dismiss the Christians who do bad as no true Christians you'll never fix the problems y'all face.

Oh, they’re part of my faith.  They just misunderstand it terribly, and/or else they make use of it as a flag of convenience. I’ll rephrase it slightly differently.  Some of the wickedest people in the world are some of my co-religionists.  

Edited by SeanF

34 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

The RVC are fanatical fascists apparently, wanting to depose Putin to create a smaller Russia as a white ethnostate.  I can't cheer them on.

I don't think anyone is cheering them on to fulfil their dubious objectives, just to cause Putin a bad headache and show that some Russians are willing to fight him. Even if not in the service of the angels.

Patriarch Kyril is pretty inline with most Christian leaders present and historical in supporting his country while at war. And his other practices share more with the common understanding of Christianity, on a historical, traditional and scriptural basis.

2 hours ago, Darzin said:

Patriarch Kyril is pretty inline with most Christian leaders present and historical in supporting his country while at war. And his other practices share more with the common understanding of Christianity, on a historical, traditional and scriptural basis.

It's generally accepted that he was an officer in the KGB.  His identification with the State goes a long way beyond simply supporting it at war.