US Politics: Sitting in Judgement

12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

IMO you’re forgetting at least one other type of Trump voter: those who know he is a vile, despicable and dangerous individual, they know he is a lying criminal, and will hold their noses and vote for him anyways because he delivers what they care about like tax cuts or “drill drill drill” or zero regulations on anything, etc.

I usually say that Trump voters are the blind, the bought, and the bullied. The latter two would abandon hiim if they thought there was a way to avoid the wrath of the first.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Eh?

He's a lifelong liar and a creep.  Plagiarizing in college, plagiarizing in speeches, claiming he tried to visit Nelson Mandela in prison, talking about beheaded babies after he was told that wasn't true, he's a liar.  

Edit: and of course Iraq

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

The Trump campaign even tried to stiff the lawyers who sought to stop the steal -- It’s all about the budget, Sidebar to today's Talking Points Memo's second Chesbro Dox installment, The Ideas Man: How Chesebro’s Most Radical Theories Entered Trump Campaign Planning for Pence and Jan. 6

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/feature/chesebro-radical-ideas-trump-campaign-jan-6-pence

Trump campaign official Justin Clark chose Christmas Eve 2020 to break it to the team of attorneys working to help Trump stay in office after losing the election: the campaign could only afford to pay them if they won. 

The attorneys were working on various filings before the Supreme Court at the time, which they admitted were long shots. Clark asked if there was any “realistic chance” of the filings succeeding, and added “it is unclear if there is budget for this so we need to know odds of success.” 

At issue was a petition to ask the Supreme Court to invalidate the election in Wisconsin. 

“I can’t guarantee payment approval for any of this so everyone should know that part going into this litigation,” Clark wrote. “I know you all are in the fight regardless but wanted to make sure everyone understands the budget constraints. If you guys win this thing there will be plenty of money to go around but want to make sure I articulate the financial risks on your end.”

Ken Chesebro reiterated on a separate thread that he was working pro bono and “wanted to take the resource constraint off the table.” Clark jumped at that in another thread, writing: “now that you’ve all taken the budget constraints off the table I say ‘go.’”

Chesebro hadn’t checked with his fellow attorneys, leading one of them to shoot back: “I have Not taken budget constraints off the table. Has the campaign?”

“No, the campaign has very real budget constraints,” Clark replied. “To the point where I don’t believe we can pay for any of this unless we get some wins.”

Of course, the “budget constraints” for the Trump campaign were not so real. His campaign raised more than $200 million in the month after the November 2020 election as it spread the myth of a stolen election. 

Clark didn’t mention that; he focused instead on making clear to the attorneys that if Biden became President and the case became “moot,” there was no point in continuing.

John Eastman, channeling whatever vein of idealism he could tap, wrote that he disagreed. The Trump campaign should keep the money flowing, because they were “playing two games here. One, this particular election. Two, the long-term survival of self-government in the U.S.” 

3 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

He's a lifelong liar and a creep.  Plagiarizing in college, plagiarizing in speeches, claiming he tried to visit Nelson Mandela in prison, talking about beheaded babies after he was told that wasn't true, he's a liar.  

I was going to cheekily modify some Radiohead lyrics, but I want people to vote Biden! So I won't. :D

Jill Biden Slams Special Counsel 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jill-biden-message-supporters-calls-special-counsels-mention/story?id=107139308

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/11/jill-biden-special-counsel-report

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/jill-bidens-special-counsel-report-email-response

...  the president did just rake in a large amount of cash—thanks to special counsel Robert Hur’s decision to describe him as an “elderly man with a poor memory,” and Jill Biden’s decision to give the guy a piece of her mind. ....

Edited by Zorral

27 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Impeach a cabinet member. Which will have no effect if they manage to corral the votes.

Looks like it succeeded.

By a vote and Dems can say, not that it matters, that a few Republicans sided with them.

16 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

They got a Biden subordinate, who won't be convicted in the senate. Big win aye?

Oh yes, a big win, and apparently the main business of the House right now. That, and (just barely) keeping the lights on with the bare minimum of funding bills.

With 15% of the vote in, in the special election to replace Santos, the Dem candidate is ahead of the fascist party's candidate 60.5% to 39.5%  Also, you know, there was a 'storm' here today, which was way more severe over/down there on Long Island than on our little island.  So, I shall retire with my book to bed in a hopeful state of mind.  Which can all change overnight, of course.  Not to mention the inevitable court challenges that the election was stolen if the fascist candidate loses.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

With 15% of the vote in, in the special election to replace Santos, the Dem candidate is ahead of the fascist party's candidate 60.5% to 39.5%  Also, you know, there was a 'storm' here today, which was way more severe over/down there on Long Island than on our little island.  So, I shall retire with my book to bed in a hopeful state of mind.  Which can all change overnight, of course.  Not to mention the inevitable court challenges that the election was stolen if the fascist candidate loses.

51% is in now and Suozzi has nearly a 20 point lead. This is over. 

That does also hilariously mean that they held the impeachment vote now so the dem winner couldn't fail it. That's how narrow it was.

It's really remarkable how impotent government is, now. Even their performative bullshit is weak.

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Americans might or might not like Joe Biden, but they sure don't seem to have a problem with Democrats in general.

No, but likely Democratic voters are crying out for a younger, more diverse party especially in place where those candidate can win. The old guard has to be thanked for everything they've done and then be given their golden watches. Pelosi at least had the dignity to step aside while staying on as the wise elder, but she too should give the seat up and just be an advisor to young new elected officials. Frankly I don't think anyone that was at least in college in the 90's should be in office. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

No, but likely Democratic voters are crying out for a younger, more diverse party especially in place where those candidate can win. The old guard has to be thanked for everything they've done and then be given their golden watches. Pelosi at least had the dignity to step aside while staying on as the wise elder, but she too should give the seat up and just be an advisor to young new elected officials. Frankly I don't think anyone that was at least in college in the 90's should be in office.

There's something to be said for hard won know-how that comes with decades of experience. To that effect, I'm hoping your last line was exaggerated for humor. But it's true that the party needs more youngish leaders, at the very least leaders where the ability to soldier on physically and mentally isn't even a thought.

5 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

No, but likely Democratic voters are crying out for a younger, more diverse party especially in place where those candidate can win. 

I italicized that last part myself. Biden is an incumbent, and, all things being equal, a party is better off running an incumbent than a new candidate. Maybe Gretchen Whitmer or Andy Beshear would do better than Biden, but...well, citation needed.