The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #8

LongRider

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think I have gout 

Any family members have it? It can be hereditary. Your gp can prescribe Allopurinal which limits the production of uric acid which causes gout. 

Also apparently rapid changes to your diet can cause it rather than just eating certain things.

I had a long, bad attack while in South Africa, living on a game reserve for two months. Was eating no junk (save for a choc ice during the weekly town shop) and barely drank alcohol.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think I have gout 

Many commiserations.  I'm so sorry.  My dad suffered from that periodically.  Not fun.

Posted (edited)

Gout can be real.

One of my Mom's long term exes after she broke from Dad would get it-- his ankle would swell up like a cantaloup. Sometimes it'd climb all the way up to his knee. Very sore looking flesh too, angry red, yellows, broken blood vessels on his skin. He had to use crutches on his flare ups. 

Hope your flare ups aren't near anything like that, BFC.

Edited by JGP

Happy Cinco de Mayo -- another opportunity to eat tacos, drink margaritas (while we still have enough agave left to do so) watch telenovellas, admire low riders, listen to Bad Bunny, wear Mexican silver, visit an exhibit of Frido Kahlo, and hablo español! 

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Happy Cinco de Mayo

My brother is currently helping run a food truck all day with his Cuban/Mexican-American best friend.  …I hope they both get home safe.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

My brother is currently helping run a food truck all day with his Cuban/Mexican-American best friend.  …I hope they both get home safe.

So do I.

It's chilly and rainy here, and all focus is on campuses so hopefully Cinco de Mayo will be a happy day and night.

Posted (edited)

May be a bit prickish of me given the accomplishments of her career, but with the mumbling, stumbling, and obvious observations-- think it's time for MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell to retire.

Edited by JGP

1 hour ago, JGP said:

May be a bit prickish of me given the accomplishments of her career, but with the mumbling, stumbling, and obvious observations-- think it's time for MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell to retire.

Haven't watched her for probably a couple years now so dunno, but imagine what her husband sounds like.

When did ramen become so popular? I'm not exactly on the beating pulse of trends but I hadn't realised how much everyone seems to be obsessed with it. Its really weird to me because my association with packet noodles growing up (not fame, to be clear, but the closest to it we ate growing up) was always tight budget this month we're going to have to stretch. And now there's whole aisles of ramen available and all kinds of ways that people jazz them up with garnishes etc. 

I'm not complaining more so just wondering

2 hours ago, HexMachina said:

When did ramen become so popular?

In the long long ago.  Always been a college/university go-to for people that don’t know how to cook.  I’d imagine it’s boosting in popularity now due to inflation?

5 hours ago, DMC said:

In the long long ago.  Always been a college/university go-to for people that don’t know how to cook.  I’d imagine it’s boosting in popularity now due to inflation?

Yes, this was the late 1990's food source for college students. I believe it was 5 packs for a dollar at the time.  Take one Maruchan + a slice of American cheese (see: oil) and Tabasco sauce, and that was life. Keep in mind, this was not subsistence living, this is just how we chose to live in between classes, parties, and various herbal remedies.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, horangi said:

Take one Maruchan + a slice of American cheese (see: oil) and Tabasco sauce, and that was life. Keep in mind, this was not subsistence living, this is just how we chose to live in between classes, parties, and various herbal remedies.

And when you wanted to get flashdance fancy ramen: make the ramen but don’t add the flavour powder. Dice up some Bell peppers and celery. Crack two eggs into a pan, add some milk. Whip the powder into that. Throw in the ramen, peppers and celery, fry that sheesh up. Put some shredded cheese on top, let it melt, then serve with some salsa and sour cream. Absolutely delish.

Edited by JGP

21 hours ago, DMC said:

thats been a thing here for years too. The recent trend as I've seen it has been for the Asian brand stuff (varies but I think Chinesem Indonesia, Korean and Vietnamese brands are the most popular) and people go pretty insane beefing them up with meats, fish, veggies, eggs, oils, cheese etc. And some of these aren't really uni student cheap 

On 5/4/2024 at 9:15 PM, Spockydog said:

I've never really been into jewellery. Certainly not gold - it just doesn't go well with my peely wally complexion.

But it turns out that one of the things I love about 2024 is that if I want to wear a nice silver beaded bracelet, or even a bunch of nice beaded bracelets on one wrist, nobody is going to bat an eyelid.

I've bought myself some nice little pieces from Etsy. Pieces that, if I turned up wearing on a Friday night c.1997, my mates would probably have laughed me out of the pub.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/84851477/mens-beaded-bracelet-tiger-eye-blue?click_key=105c3bf1b0926333effe19db3a0742c58152abfe%3A84851477&click_sum=1c57c536&ref=shop_home_recs_1&sca=1

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/185485583/black-onyx-and-blue-lapis-gemstone-mens?click_key=1eeff8782ba85537cb57c4e9458c9b83cf0e9ca7%3A185485583&click_sum=245d5d32&external=1&rec_type=ss&ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-7

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1024820632/moonstone-mens-bracelet-red-minimalist?click_key=9ae977ad23f5d44364b0cd7d3363636f09bebdab%3A1024820632&click_sum=bbf17205&ref=shop_home_recs_1&pro=1&frs=1

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1518693275/turquoise-sterling-silver-bracelet?click_key=4eb07e9cd6e76cae3dbfd9e45b52500bc67850db%3A1518693275&click_sum=97bbf6c8&ref=shop_home_feat_1&pro=1&sts=1

My man, Marcel, knows what I'm talking about.

I can see this escalating.

I'd wear those myself!  They're beautiful.  :love: