April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Posted (edited)

Perfect weather at Long Point, north shore of Lake Erie.  It looked so much awesomer than i expected, like a black hole in the sky.  Eerie and alien.  The horizon was a 360 degree sunset too.  Couldn't ask for a better experience.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Its an experience, and one that can be had only rarely.

I was at Lands End in Cornwall for the 1999 one. Even though it was cloudy it was quite something to have the world go dark. You understand why primitive societies were apocryphally terrified by them.

We were initially planning on skipping this one, because I thought the locations near us would be clouded over.  Around friday I was checking the forecasts and it looked like there was a decent chance it would be sunny in Ohio, which is only ~5 hours away with normal traffic.  Our kids are 1 and 7, but we decided it would be worth it to take the chance and make the trip.  I was able to find a decent 2 star hotel that was expensive, but not ridiculously so, and we left Sunday morning.  With the kids you can't just go straight through, we have to take 2 hour breaks to get them out of the car and move around, which means any hope of making good time is basically impossible.  

I am so glad we made the trip.  The weather was excellent, the eclipse was everything I had hoped and more.  It is just a stunning sight to see, eerie and beautiful.  Everyone loved it, including our 7 year old.  The trip went smoothly, traffic wasn't as bad as I'd feared. 

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I honestly can't think of anything i would find less interesting than an eclipse.  Can anyone explain the attraction of it?  What do you actually get out of looking at it?

You know that the dark gods are pleased with you.

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I honestly can't think of anything i would find less interesting than an eclipse.  Can anyone explain the attraction of it?  What do you actually get out of looking at it?

All jokes aside, Its rarity, for one thing.  The most interesting thing about it, really, is how it darkens the world in the middle of a sunny day.  Everyone is standing outside, staring at the sky.  It's a shared experience Humanity can have in common - so rare these days!  Usually the only things that get everyone together talking are disasters - 9/11, for example, or the Challenger disaster (in this area of the world, anyway.)  

My son goes to Kent State University, in NE Ohio, and I made the plans ~8 months ago to visit him this past weekend and experience the eclipse.  For 2017, I didn't travel to see the totality, and I'm very glad I did this time.  I was expecting it to be really neat...but it was honestly one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.  It's just incredibly surreal how you go from full daylight to twilight in a matter of a minute or two, and the temperature drops very noticeably.  And then you look to the sky, and there is a black hole hanging there, and it's on fire.  My big regret is that I didn't bring my SLR camera with me.  Just never crossed my mind, as I thought special equipment would be needed to take photos.  But during totality, you can just look directly at it, take pictures, etc. with no need for glasses or filters.  Of course, you better be ready when the sun starts to peak back out!

And besides that, on Sunday we went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, which was pretty cool in its own right.