US Politics: Losing Appeals

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Just laugh at how dumb they are. We'd be lucky to have Boris Johnson as Speaker (and I think technically he could be). May would be a delight by comparison. Sadly we're in the Truss zone so we're completely fucked. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Just laugh at how dumb they are. We'd be lucky to have Boris Johnson as Speaker (and I think technically he could be). May would be a delight by comparison. Sadly we're in the Truss zone so we're completely fucked. 

What did Johnson expect? He can't even control his own face let alone MTG. 

33 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It just shows how unserious these clowns are as politicians that one likely result of filing a motion to vacate could be that the Democratic leader becomes speaker.  The only way they stop shooting themselves in the feet is when they pause to reload.

Also, how far out in the distant political-spectrum boonies is MTG when she is attacking a Culture War Rightist like Johnson?

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/22/trump-social-dwac-stock-falls-after-merger-approved.html

11% drop after the merger was approved. ~$34M in the red last year -- this should be a penny stock* by the time his stock unlocks. 

*like his previous public DJT stock

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

He said he didn't know her and also confused her for being his ex-wife. That is staggering and should alone be all people need to never vote for him before you add in that he raped her. 

Again, we live in the dumbest timeline. 

He claimed he wasn't her type as well (as if that's at all relevant) despite confusing her for his wife.

Just now, Week said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/22/trump-social-dwac-stock-falls-after-merger-approved.html

11% drop after the merger was approved. ~$34M in the red last year -- this should be a penny stock* by the time his stock unlocks. 

It should be, but before that happens there's likely going to be a major run on it as random fans of his flock to buy the stock. They'll get fleeced, of course, and it'll be like bitcoin but for conservatives, but the mcbigskis of the world will buy tons. 

It's also very likely that Trump will get approval from his board to sell early given that most of the board are either family members or people that had previously served under Trump. If he wants that, that is. My suspicion is that he won't actually want to do that and would rather fight or default. 

22 minutes ago, Week said:

He claimed he wasn't her type as well (as if that's at all relevant) despite confusing her for his wife.

This isn't going to drop to a penny stock in 6 months.  Losing 34 million as an early stage startup is nothing.  Trump has enough rabid followers that the platform will have millions of core users that won't abandon the platform anytime soon.  He's almost certainly going to be able to cash out for hundreds of millions, and maybe even billions over time, if he wants.  The hard part will be unloading so much stock over a short amount of time without cratering the price.

6 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

This isn't going to drop to a penny stock in 6 months.  Losing 34 million as an early stage startup is nothing.  Trump has enough rabid followers that the platform will have millions of core users that won't abandon the platform anytime soon.  He's almost certainly going to be able to cash out for hundreds of millions, and maybe even billions over time, if he wants.  The hard part will be unloading so much stock over a short amount of time without cratering the price.

*should be -- not intended as a prediction.

Early stage start-ups typically have more than $4M in revenue (IIRC, last year was $39M in expenses and $4M revenue) and a path for growth. This company has as much growth potential as a stone.

27 minutes ago, Week said:

*should be -- not intended as a prediction.

Early stage start-ups typically have more than $4M in revenue (IIRC, last year was $39M in expenses and $4M revenue) and a path for growth. This company has as much growth potential as a stone.

I would love to have that list of investors. So much moose pasture, so little time. :P

House Republican Mike Gallagher announced he's resigning on April 19, bringing the GOP majority down to 217-213 - which means they can afford only one defection to pass anything on a party-line vote.  

The interesting thing is the timing.  If he resigned by April 9, a special election would be triggered to serve out the remainder of the term.  Since he's resigning after that date, the seat will remain vacant until the next Congress in January.  Which kinda/sorta fucks over the GOP.

Edited by DMC

NBC News on Friday announced that it had hired Ronna McDaniel, the former Republican National Committee chair who has repeatedly attacked the network and its journalists, assailed the news media as “fake news” and promoted false claims around the 2020 vote, as an on-air commentator ahead of the 2024 presidential election.

“It couldn’t be a more important moment to have a voice like Ronna’s on the team,” Carrie Budoff Brown, senior vice president of politics at NBC News, said in a memo to staff.

McDaniel exited the RNC earlier this month after leading the organization since 2016.

During her time as chair, McDaniel repeatedly attacked the press, which has become increasingly popular in Republican circles over the last several years as Donald Trump demonizes journalists and news institutions.

McDaniel echoed many such attacks, labeling the press as “fake news” and calling the media “corrupt.” At times, she even targeted NBC News and MSNBC with dishonest attacks.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/22/media/ronna-mcdaniel-nbc/index.html

This seems like a bad idea to me.  What is NBC News going to do if she continues to behave as one of Trump's mouthpieces?  Do they think that adding McDaniel is going to attract Fox News viewers to their channel?  I think it's more likely that they are going to just alienate their own viewers.

14 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

This seems like a bad idea to me.  What is NBC News going to do if she continues to behave as one of Trump's mouthpieces?  Do they think that adding McDaniel is going to attract Fox News viewers to their channel?  I think it's more likely that they are going to just alienate their own viewers.

Yeah definitely rolled my eyes when I saw that this morning.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it, but I suppose there's a chance she'll change course.  She's still a Romney, after all.  I remember rolling my eyes when they hired Nicolle Wallace given her history as Dubya's Comms Director and McCain's campaign spokeswoman.  But she turned out to be generally reasonable.  Of course, that took years.

Edited by DMC

I still side on the idea of never, ever hiring or supporting anyone associated with Trump's regime. Make it 100% clear that they will be blackballed. 

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I still side on the idea of never, ever hiring or supporting anyone associated with Trump's regime. Make it 100% clear that they will be blackballed. 

Meh, I can be forgiving to certain staffers.  Cassidy Hutchinson, for example, she was just a kid.  Totally agree McDaniel definitely doesn't qualify though.

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

It worked once, when they hired Megyn Kelly, didn't it?

since this is the internet. That was sarcasm.

If she actually makes it to air...backlash might just reverse the course before it becomes actual reality...let her be consigned to only on be on during Andrea Mitchell's hour, no one really watches during that time anyway...

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Meh, I can be forgiving to certain staffers.  Cassidy Hutchinson, for example, she was just a kid.  Totally agree McDaniel definitely doesn't qualify though.

I think our first interaction here was on this subject. 

Don't judge young staffers unless they do something terrible. It's really fucking hard to get paid political jobs and often times you have to accept ones you either don't like from the jump or resent pretty quickly. Yes you have to live with working for pieces of shit and carrying their water, but it's the nature of the game. Sometimes that's the only way to build out your resume. And then you go home and develop a drinking problem. It's truly miserable work that rarely feels rewarding. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I think our first interaction here was on this subject. 

It was?  Cool, impressed you remember that.  Was it a meet cute?