UK politics, Truss me, I really am that mental.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don’t think the government should be banning medical treatments and/or procedures just because there is not determinative evidence on its long term effects, no.  Absolutely not.

The NHS is pausing PB awaiting better research to be carried out.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Taken to its logical conclusion, this would disallow any experimental treatments.  Because the only way to provide the data for “strong” or “conclusive” evidence is to, ya know, conduct the treatments.

Yes, it's called quality research. 

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

But again, not a big fan of politicians legislating this - if only because they rarely have any idea what the fuck they’re talking about even if they don’t have a political agenda.

Isn't that why you take advice from qualified experts... like the Cass review? Either way it's the CQC and the NHS dealing with this.

The missing point here what has actually been happening these past few years. Kids and their parents were not well informed on the weak body of evidence around these treatments. Treatments were applied to children without contextual checks as to whether they were even appropriate or whether they actually had the intended effect. Any questioning or push back on these issues was shouted down as dangerous and "Anti Trans'. 

So the conclusion of Cass and the NHS is to do more research and to pause blindly handing out treatments until there is a better base of evidence. I'd be deeply suspicious of anyone who would disagree with that advice. 

19 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

So I take it, then, that you think that would not be a reasonable position to take?

I gave you my opinion.  Obviously, I’d disagree with the opposite opinion.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

to pause blindly handing out treatments

Is that what was happening? The NHS was *blindly* handing out PB to anyone as if they were M&Ms? 

I would like to comment on the issue, but it seems to me a moderator has clearly asked that this NOT be done in this thread, and in terms of politics the issue certainly extends to other countries beyond the UK, so I will start a new thread myself. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can you think of any other business that could get away with going to the regulator, asking to put prices up 44% after paying out huge bonuses to shareholders, and woefully mismanaging their infrastructure?  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68872563

I guessed electricity after reading your post (Brook guessed water so point to her) so I guess there's at least 1 other business that its plausible for.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can you think of any other business that could get away with going to the regulator, asking to put prices up 44% after paying out huge bonuses to shareholders, and woefully mismanaging their infrastructure?

Not a 1 to 1 comparison but big banks/financial institutions come to mind.  Also, airlines.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not a 1 to 1 comparison but big banks/financial institutions come to mind.  Also, airlines.

Sort of, but you can leave a bank, or use another airline/choose not to fly, i have literally no option but to use Thames water. 

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Sort of, but you can leave a bank, or use another airline/choose not to fly, i have literally no option but to use Thames water. 

Fair point.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

dig your own well and use a septic tank?

fill bottles up at work and bring them home, like i do with toilet rolls?  

Edited by BigFatCoward

Another utility example would be electric.  Companies often have functional monopolies within a city/urban area here in the states as I watch my monthly bill fluctuate wildly seemingly without reason.

Just now, DMC said:

Another utility example would be electric.  Companies often have functional monopolies within a city/urban area here in the states as I watch my monthly bill fluctuate wildly seemingly without reason.

We are quite lucky, its pretty easy to change electric companies (finding a cheap one is a bit more effort) but water is a proper monopoly, at least where i live. 

I personally beleive that if you are unable to use alternative companies then the service offered should be natinalised not private.  Afterall the Free market can't do its job when there is no free market.

This means water (unless we can shop arround like we can electric) trains, probably busses.    Schools and Health allready are - although need more investment

Turns out the "openly Jewish guy" was openly looking for a fight.  He apparently goes to all the pro-Palestinian marches, looking for a fight. Twat.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/22/initial-story-about-openly-jewish-incident-not-full-picture-says-ex-senior-met-officer

Edited by Spockydog

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Turns out the "openly Jewish guy" was openly looking for a fight.  He apparently goes to all the pro-Palestinian marches, looking for a fight. Twat.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/22/initial-story-about-openly-jewish-incident-not-full-picture-says-ex-senior-met-officer

That puts the police response into a lot more reasonable position.

In other news, Huw Edwards has now resigned from the BBC on medical advice, having been suspended for several months because of the sexting allegations 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The police officer involved is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet.  And just typical of the SLT and the government to hang him out to dry before the full facts emerged. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

45 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I waited for this, which was pretty clear even prior to the release of the full video recording of the incident, from the accounts of it I'd read before that release.