NFL 2024: It's Draft Season You Sandbagging SOBs

An injury history for an OL is not at all a good sign. It's one of the best ways to determine how successful an OL will be in the league. 

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Not sure I’d call one injury a “history.”

It absolutely is, especially one that sidelines you for an extended period of time like he was. History doesn't mean that they're perennially injured; it means they have an injury, and that likely means that that part of them is going to be weaker and more prone to issues. 

That the injury required surgery is an even worse sign. 

I wouldn't be worried about him not starting all that much - being on Georgia means you won't get a ton of shots given the rest of the talent there. I would be worried about an offensive lineman having ankle surgery. 

On plus side, he got injured, came back during the season and dominated, at least as a pass protector. We shall see but not too worried at this stage given age and post injury snaps.

It’s hardly just one injury.  He’s been hampered by issues even when he’s active.  Hell, he injured his hammy at the combine.  Pretty clear red flag - well, maybe not red, but at least yellow - he has trouble staying on the field.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

It’s hardly just one injury.  He’s been hampered by issues even when he’s active.  Hell, he injured his hammy at the combine.  Pretty clear red flag - well, maybe not red, but at least yellow - he has trouble staying on the field.

I guess we'll find out how his injury history translates :dunno:

35 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I guess we'll find out how his injury history translates :dunno:

Of course.  Just wanted to mention it cuz since he was linked to the Niners often the past few months, I read up quite a bit on him.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

I had thought Dallas was in his future, we got Guyton instead, similar size and experience.

The only thing I'd be scared of is the Saban thing. Saban hinted that he is a soft player, that he took himself out of the SEC championship game because his ankle was sore. Not a red flag but definitely something to think about.

14 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The only thing I'd be scared of is the Saban thing. Saban hinted that he is a soft player, that he took himself out of the SEC championship game because his ankle was sore. Not a red flag but definitely something to think about.

I’m taking that one with a grain of salt. Mims was originally committed to play for Saban before switching to Georgia…

32 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’m taking that one with a grain of salt. Mims was originally committed to play for Saban before switching to Georgia…

Saban could be salty about that. Would be pretty telling if a man of his age and with the things he has accomplished to talk crap because he spurned you.

I also wouldn’t necessarily blame a guy for taking themselves out so as to not risk further injury if they are going to be going through the draft process in a couple months.  So yeah, that one doesn’t bother me.  Let alone - fuck Saban.

So pissed at the Niners right now….two OTs they were linked to were both there when the Ravens picked immediately ahead of them.  Ravens pick one of them.  K, just take the other one.  But NOPE!  Instead let’s trade down a pick, let the Chiefs - the fucking Chiefs! - pick the OT, and draft a corner that could’ve been gotten at the end of the third round.

Incredibly happy with the Steelers draft thus far. The O line rebuild over the past year plus is now complete. We needed a receiver after trading Johnson, and Roman Wilson is a Steeler through and through (can say the same thing about Fautanu and Frazier). Payton Wilson was a nice pick too at a position of need despite adding Queen a month ago. We were so depleted at ILB last season due to injury we had to borrow Myles Jack from the local plumbers union.

The Bills have drafted a British guy to try and develop as an offensive lineman. Fine, good luck to him. The notable thing about that story though is before this he was playing tier 8 level rugby, not a good standard, on the fucking wing. I bet the wingers at that level loved it when the opposition turned up a with a 6ft 7in winger who's big enough to potentially play in the offensive line in the NFL.

If there are seven tiers above that level, then that seems odd.  Don't really know much about rugby, but seems like it's a combination of mobility, strength, and toughness.  Length seems like a hindrance, past a certain point well below 6'7".  Haven't seen the guy, but a fast for 6'7" guy is probably going to get mauled in the trenches, unless he's a total outlier.

10 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Don't really know much about rugby, but seems like it's a combination of mobility, strength, and toughness.  Length seems like a hindrance, past a certain point well below 6'7". 

Not really, outside of a few positions anyway. The problem for NFL lineman sized people is rugby is more of a continuous sport that American football and there aren't a lot of people with the stamina to carry that much weight around for the required longer periods of play. That was Mailata's problem apparently.

If there are seven tiers above that level, then that seems odd. 

I would guess he's athletic but he wasn't very skillful. Not necessarily a problem playing offensive lineman, I don't think they'll want him to do a lot of catching or passing.

Length seems like a hindrance, past a certain point well below 6'7".  Haven't seen the guy, but a fast for 6'7" guy is probably going to get mauled in the trenches, unless he's a total outlier.

For rugby or football?  6-7 is not unusually tall for offensive tackles.  Hell, the Bengals have three OTs on the roster who are 6-8 (Adarius Mims, Orlando Brown and Trent Brown).

21 hours ago, Maithanet said:

For rugby or football?  6-7 is not unusually tall for offensive tackles.  Hell, the Bengals have three OTs on the roster who are 6-8 (Adarius Mims, Orlando Brown and Trent Brown).

Not sure this is totally normal though. What the Bengals have sacrificed to have insane size is athleticism as both Brown's had a very low RAS score. Mims is the first athletic OL they've drafted and add that with his arm length and you have high upside. Whether he gets there is a different story (as discussed previously).

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Not sure this is totally normal though. What the Bengals have sacrificed to have insane size is athleticism as both Brown's had a very low RAS score. Mims is the first athletic OL they've drafted and add that with his arm length and you have high upside. Whether he gets there is a different story (as discussed previously).

The Bengals are certainly on the bigger side, most OTs are somewhere more like 6-5.  But the idea that a 6-7 guy is too tall to make it as an OT is simply wrong, there are plenty of offensive tackles in the league that are that height or even taller.  If anything, that seems to be the direction that offensive tackles are going (bigger and taller).  I remember when he was drafted people marveled at Trent Williams size as well as his athleticism, whereas nowadays 6-5, 320 is fairly normal.