HEROES

Jed o' Tarth

[quote name='Gertrude' post='1529542' date='Sep 24 2008, 11.46']Don't know if this was mentioned, but does anyone else think that when Ando 'betrays' Hiro, that it is Hiro who has actually gone villain and Ando is the good guy? I can't (right now) see Hiro going villain in a malicious way, but I can definitely see him becoming a misguided hero - his actions being harmful but he is convinced that what he is doing is right, thus Ando has to reluctantly bitch slap him down.[/quote]

I didn't think about this when I saw the scene, but it does sound plausible. Hiro's desire to recover the formula could, if he's thwarted long enough, turn into a full-blown obsession where the ends justify the means.

Just watched the episode(s). So, let me get this straight...a pair of flimsy glass closet doors was stopping Sylar from getting to Claire in the house? Oh, alright, I know...there's a million inconsistencies to pick on here.

But how come no one has mentioned this...we witnessed the return of the greatest TV hero of all time...and Nikki/whoever will be in deep trouble when he reforms his body and puts on his [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_American_Hero"]red suit[/url] and comes after her ass....

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1530667' date='Sep 24 2008, 21.27']But how come no one has mentioned this...we witnessed the return of the greatest TV hero of all time...and Nikki/whoever will be in deep trouble when he reforms his body and puts on his [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_American_Hero"]red suit[/url] and comes after her ass....[/quote]

Oh hell yeah! I totally saw William Katt's name come across the screen and I was thinking, "YES! THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO TO SAVE THE DAY!" and then I didn't recognize him at all... :P

Does anybody else find it extremely absurd just how many people can see/travel into the future?

And what's up with Sylar? [quote name='Sylar to Claire']You see I lost everything that made me special; lost, but now found (as he pulls out HRG's cleverly hidden files). Here's a whole shopping list of abilities right here, but I'm going to start with the best, and once I have yours *smacked over head*[/quote]

It really sounds like he lost all of the abilities he acquired in season 1 (as it was also implied in season 2), so why the fuck does he still have the telekinesis ability?? Does he still have all of his previous abilities ("lost, but now found?" and how were they found?) or is this just another instant of the writers writing to fit the story and logic be damned. (sorry if this was covered in season 2, but I've forgotten 90% of that, and I didn't have the stomach to ever rewatch it.)

[quote]It really sounds like he lost all of the abilities he acquired in season 1 (as it was also implied in season 2), so why the fuck does he still have the telekinesis ability?? Does he still have all of his previous abilities ("lost, but now found?" and how were they found?) or is this just another instant of the writers writing to fit the story and logic be damned. (sorry if this was covered in season 2, but I've forgotten 90% of that, and I didn't have the stomach to ever rewatch it.)[/quote]

They did mention in Season One while he was captured by the Company that the only power they could find in his genetics was the TK. Why that would be, I have no idea.

chalk me up as sick of heroes. season 1 moved slow and painful, and yet it still drew me in and i enjoyed each week.

season 2 was lame. i hate having to go through the same thing over again. alah peter finding his powers again.

season 3, now we have peter vs peter. future peter will end up bad, sylar the good guy or something. as a "clever" twist. could be wrong, but i just don't care what they are cooking.

why not just have some dudes with abilities that are bad? i like what they did with the doc injecting himself. but thats been it.

i hate time travel in books, it always gets messy and is rarely done well, or to my liking of logic. and now thats all heroes is. a series of dudes popping in and out to change things. blah!

SFX Magazine did a feature on [b]Heroes [/b]which was pretty spoilerific, but it does clear up some confusion from the S3 premiere, most notably:

SPOILER: Heroes
Nikki/Jessica is dead as a doornail. Tracy is their hitherto unknown identical twin sister who also has a power. Her discovering her family's sordid past forms a major theme of the season.

Characters who don't have anything to do with the storyline will be dropped temporarily, but at some point all still-surviving heroes will be picked up again in the narrative. Which probably means that Micah and TV-learning girl will be back, but not straight away.

[quote name='SquireThomas' post='1531863' date='Sep 25 2008, 18.32']They did mention in Season One while he was captured by the Company that the only power they could find in his genetics was the TK. Why that would be, I have no idea.[/quote]

Thanks.

... wasn't that the first power he stole, though? How is it in his DNA and not the other powers as well? Why isn't his power theft ability in his DNA? How the fuck can they determine a specific power from the DNA?

This show's writers suck big fat donkey balls.

[quote name='itcamefrommercury' post='1534569' date='Sep 28 2008, 15.02']Maybe that power got, like, hardwired, and the others are more temporary? But that still doesn't make some things make sense. Maybe an intern wrote the episode were they state that his telekenesis is in his DNA.[/quote]
We know Sylar's power is basically that he can see how things work. By looking at people's brains, he can get their powers. Presumably, he changes his own brain around to do so. So far, there's no explanation of how he changes his brain around, but it could be a form of TK. Best explanation I've got. But probably not one that's ever crossed the minds of the show's writers.

I thought the ability to copy others' powers from looking at their brains was Sylar's original ability. IIRC, his first victim was the one with the telekinesis.

Oh, and it looks like I called it right for once. Unless I'm very much mistaken about the preview, Sylar will indeed be HRG's new partner. Won't that be fun, HRG having to cooperate with the man who very nearly killed his darling (adoptive) daughter. :smoking:

I thought tonight's episode was better than the first to, but Sylar going all "secret agent/man in charge"... ughh.

Nikki's storyline... I don't know about it yet, but it can't get worse than last year.

Parkman was my favorite character last year, and I can't stand what they're doing to him this year :tantrum:

Sylar's sudden take-charge attitude was weird. Did he gain a Littlefinger-level "silver tongue" power at one point that I don't remember? On the other hand, go HRG! The look on his face when he realized the identity of his new partner was just fun. And I'm totally unsurprised that he's already planning to kill Sylar.

One bit of coincidence I didn't like was that the Haitian apparently didn't gather his wits quickly enough to stop Daphne, but just a few seconds later was recovered enough to suppress Hiro's power. It felt a little too convenient. OTOH, it's brought Hiro and Ando straight into the Company's clutches, which should result in some interesting developments.

Oh, and I wonder if Claire is actually running (well, driving) away from her family, or if she just wants a bit of time to herself to study the Company documents in the box? Heck, by this point I wouldn't be surprised if she and Elle teamed up or at least started cooperating.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1536838' date='Sep 30 2008, 07.33']One bit of coincidence I didn't like was that the Haitian apparently didn't gather his wits quickly enough to stop Daphne, but just a few seconds later was recovered enough to suppress Hiro's power. It felt a little too convenient.[/quote]

You are forgetting the basic rule applied by Heroes writers: if we don't know how to make a scene go forward, make the character momentarily stupid so something does happen. Hell, that defines all of season two and every action ever taken by Peter and Mohinder.

I'm liking the team of HRG and Sylar. Yeah, the transformation of Sylar was a little too instantaneous but the end result was pretty cool. I liked Sylar's slicked down MiB look, I bet the actor just pissed himself finally getting to be cool.

I think Sylar's "silver tongue" fits into his chameleon-like ability to shift his identity, based on the fact that he basically considers his own identity worthless. He likely spent a lot of time in his life dreaming of and imagining that he was something else. In a certain sense, the whole "Sylar" routine is just one big act, no more or less real than "Gabriel".

Does anyone buy that Angela is in fact his mother? And did his hearing the ticking away of her power indicating that she was actively using it (which would support the idea that she does perhaps some sort of influence power, on top of her prophetic dreaming)?

Also .. is that _Daphne_ in the Parkman paintings?

[quote name='Dagger' post='1536872' date='Sep 30 2008, 09.11']You are forgetting the basic rule applied by Heroes writers: if we don't know how to make a scene go forward, make the character momentarily stupid so something does happen. Hell, that defines all of season two and every action ever taken by Peter and Mohinder.[/quote]

I'm trying to suppress season 2 from my memory. Nyah nyah nyah, I can't hear you! ;) :P

EDIT: No, I don't buy that Angela is Sylar's mother. She's just manipulating him with her power to make him more obedient.

As to the silver tongue... It's just weird, the way Sylar spoke as if he suddenly had knowledge of FBI and police procedures in hostage situations. I thought it so uncharacteristic that I figured it had to be a power.

IIRC, the woman in the painting had no facial traits, so it's impossible to identify her.

[quote name='Ran' post='1536896' date='Sep 30 2008, 08.38']I think Sylar's "silver tongue" fits into his chameleon-like ability to shift his identity, based on the fact that he basically considers his own identity worthless. He likely spent a lot of time in his life dreaming of and imagining that he was something else. In a certain sense, the whole "Sylar" routine is just one big act, no more or less real than "Gabriel".[/quote]

For once, that actually [i]is[/i] sticking with continuity. During the first season, Sylar was always adopting some other persona when he was getting close to people. There were plenty of other inconsistencies and just plain stupid things going on, but at least Sylar was right on in that regard.

[quote name='Dagger' post='1536872' date='Sep 30 2008, 08.11']You are forgetting the basic rule applied by Heroes writers: if we don't know how to make a scene go forward, make the character momentarily stupid so something does happen. Hell, that defines all of season two and every action ever taken by Peter and Mohinder.[/quote]
Heh. I was thinking that they are basically turning Hiro into Mohinder at this point in the show.
Let's steal that half of the formula, after we already lost the other half of the formula from the one guy who can keep the speedy girl from stealing it from our inept asses.
Good plan!

[quote name='Ran']Also .. is that _Daphne_ in the Parkman paintings?[/quote]
I had the same impression. But I couldn't tell for sure because the painting wasn't overacting with dialed up levels on sass, snarkiness and unnecessary head-bopping. That made it difficult to be sure.

Am I the only that thinks that having a power to draw only pictures of Parkman since you were a boy constitutes a cruel, cruel version of Hell? I mean, it would be one thing if you drew the other heroes like Heroin Comic Guy did. But nope. Not this bushman. Just Parkman. Over and over again. Painting how he's sorta involved in several stories but never really all that important or interesting.

It's almost worse than being Parkman.

Archived