HEROES

Jed o' Tarth

[quote name='redxavier' post='1548477' date='Oct 8 2008, 17.25']As much as I enjoy watching Heroes as an overall experience, it is really is plagued with little problems. The writers cannot write time travel with any kind of sense for instance and it's beginning to bug me... my advice to the writers is to leave the future alone.

I loved FutureSylar in this, and that scene really made the episode for me, but then I am a sucker for bad guys turning good.[/quote]

See, I found him much less attractive. Last season we got him in a towel, this season.........an apron- which might be okay if it was only an apron, but no.

I still think that, so far, this season is a big improvement over last season. If nothing else, it feels like things are generally moving along better, and not getting bogged down so much. Just as an example, if this were season two, I think "present" Peter would still be trapped in that criminal's body, and getting more emo by the day.

Plus, fewer annoying kids! :thumbsup:

Now, if only Mohinder would get a clue. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Regina' post='1548537' date='Oct 8 2008, 17.56']I still think that, so far, this season is a big improvement over last season. If nothing else, it feels like things are generally moving along better, and not getting bogged down so much. Just as an example, if this were season two, I think "present" Peter would still be trapped in that criminal's body, and getting more emo by the day.

Plus, fewer annoying kids! :thumbsup:

Now, if only Mohinder would get a clue. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I don't understand, last season was the towel AND he'd just stabbed a guy...........

A bit late watching it this week.

Some of the dialogue in this episode was terrible. The Peter-Peter conversation before the future one got shot in particular. Was ready to turn it off and take a break before Syler went nuclear. That was cool.

I do like how Mohindar has continued his role as the guy who pretty much screws up anything he touches, I like considerably less how unashamedly teh writers ripped off [i]The Fly[/i] (or should that be [i]The Spider[/i]?).

I was trying out this new, "Stop thinking about it," thing during this episode and it more or less worked. It was tremendously dumb fun. It's not Season 1, when everything more or less tracked, but it's not Season 2 either, which was shat out by an elephant who'd eaten Tim Kring's script notes during a visit to the zoo and they had no time to go with anything else.

I kept thinking that Molly's age in the future seemed wrong, then I realised what I was doing and stopped thinking about it.

I suspect this season is best to watch whilst high, but whilst watching [b]Heroes[/b] is probably quite capable of driving people to drugs, I've decided I don't care enough to go down that road. Just switch off the brain, enjoy the occasional nuclear explosion and the reasonably attractive women/men (delete as applicable) on the show, and don't worry about anything else. You can enjoy the show much more that way, mainly because you are now qualified to write for it.

You know, all three seasons have had the exact same plot: The future is bad. The heroes have to change it. Hijinks ensue.

The exact cause of the Bad Future is different and the scale is increasing; first season it was just New York blowing up, second season was a world-wide plague, third season is the whole world blowing up, but otherwise, it seems like they just had one idea for a plot and they're just trying different flavors of it.

Oh, maybe it's like Final Destination and the world was [i]supposed[/i] to be destroyed and the heroes are just delaying the inevitable. Hey, Ali Larter was in that movie, she should know you can't cheat death!

I still want to like it, but my disbelief is being suspended so far out there it's about to fall off.

This brings to mind a general question: Can anyone enlighten me with TV shows that have actually addressed time travel in a good way? I can't for the life of me think of anything.

And [i]Quantum Leap [/i]doesn't count.

[I might just branch this off into another thread]

Here's something worth talking about...
And I realize we aren't interested in using our brains to dissect the plot because, well it hurts!

But...

There seems to be some very interesting Older Parent/Adult Children Dynamics coursing through this series, and I'm wondering if someone better at analysis then me might see anything in them...

Originally,
Mama Petrelli - Always liked Peter better than Nathan. Papa P always prefers Nathan. Season one seems very similar to Arrested Development's Lucille ("I never cared for GOB")

Doc Suresh - Mohinder is always working for his love and attention, but comes to realize his father was trying to insulate him from Fringe science ridicule.

Kaito Nakamura - Kidnaps Hiro, was trying tough love. Never thought about his sister running the company (No, not THAT company!) Then shows faith in Hiro, trains him, empowers him.

Season 2

Bob - Trusts Elle... WHY? Gives her responsibility... WHY?

Season 3

Mama P points out that Kaito always trusted Hiro too much. Two episodes after she points out that the only reason Elle was around is Bob...
THEN she proceeds to use Sylar, under the basis of "He's my son, and I know him better than you all do..."
Anyone seeing interesting connections. I wouldn't expect them to continue season to season, but Season three definitely has an interesting dynamic.

Keep in mind I left out Clair and Micah... because well... I just hate them. Thus I restricted this discussion to Elder parents, and Adult kids. If anyone wants to open it up, go for it. I certainly am not haha.

Guest Raidne
And if Adam had the mutation hundreds of years ago, why is everyone popping up now? Is it really just the event horizon, or whatever, of the mutation, or did Adam just decide to hit a sperm bank a couple generations ago?

[quote name='Raidne' post='1549266' date='Oct 9 2008, 09.13']And if Adam had the mutation hundreds of years ago, why is everyone popping up now? Is it really just the event horizon, or whatever, of the mutation, or did Adam just decide to hit a sperm bank a couple generations ago?[/quote]

Comic book science. The gene was always there. There might have been a few others with powers, like Adam, early on, but the unleashing of the atom with the detonation of the atomic bombs in Japan during WWII escalated the proliferation of the gene throughout the world. :P

Guest Raidne
[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1549285' date='Oct 9 2008, 10.25']Comic book science. The gene was always there. There might have been a few others with powers, like Adam, early on, but the unleashing of the atom with the detonation of the atomic bombs in Japan during WWII escalated the proliferation of the gene throughout the world. :P[/quote]

But then why name the earliest mutant Adam? Hmmmmm???

I'm actually enjoying this season, but this is what sucks about Heroes. Everything's way too soft to maintain any reasoned speculation, which is one of the best things about, say, ASOIAF.

[quote name='Galactus' post='1547796' date='Oct 8 2008, 09.19']Mind, doesen't he have to get the "feel" or whatever for the person before actually using them?[/quote]
He didn't when he got invisibility. And he phased through handcuffs in season 2, but intangibility seemed to come from standing across a street from DL; they never really interacted at all. For that matter, he got Sylar's telekinesis with little interaction, and wouldn't you think he'd have gotten both powers at the same time anyway? If the show's being consistent--

Oh. Right. [i]Heroes.[/i]

Ok, finally caught up this weekend.

Clearly this season has been completely incoherent so far. But at least it is entertaining so I will slog through it. The kids have been written out to a good degree and I appreciate that. Leaving only Claire who is on a really odd tradgectory but it is making some sense if you work hard enough.

Right now my major beef is that in Season 1, anyone could die at any time, permanent real death not to be brought back, the exceptions being Claire and Peter. In season 2, death was much more fickle and very few actually made the permanent crossing over. Now in season 3, death is working very hard and getting no-where. Even if you are dead, you are still alive. I understand having to kill off Niki to get rid of Micah, but did you really need the unexplainable triplets theory to keep a hot blond on the show? Why toss Elle off if you wanted to keep the sex-appeal? And Linderman is now a emmisary from the great beyond? Papa Pattrelli is making a come back after being dead for years? I am now waiting for Molly's parents to come back to ask for thier kid back.

Second Major Beef, powers seem to be less then great right now. Other then Sylar, no one seems to really be able to use theirs to great. Nathan flies only once and that was in an obvious suicide attempt, which had she tried anything else would have been useless. Hiro is getting his ass whopped by super speed, though he should be able to continue to slow time enough to hold her in place, or at least teleport ahead of her. Matt somehow has been able to use his mind reading power to get future seeing, maybe it is the drugs? Peter seems to have at some point lost the regeneration power in the future and cannot get it back. (He also seems to have lost his power absorbtion trick as well, given he needed past Peter to grab Sylar's power.)

Last major problem, future relationships. Seriously, now, do we have to constantly re-arrange dance partners in the future. And what about the irish chick from season 2, after the plauge was prevented, and the future she was trapped in got reversed, did she disappear with it, is it completely inaccessible now, has Peter decided he just does not care about her? The future really is a fickle, fickle mistress in this show so far. (And is willing to let anyone get a peak at her.)

Things not bothering me as much as other people. Peter's scar and apperently being vunerable to bullets. Since he was about to get shot by Claire in episode one and had to teleport to safety, it seems likely enough that he has completely lost his regeneration power, as we do not see future Peter use it at all. Also given he seems to have lost the power of absorbtion, needing past Peter to get Sylar's power, it makes sense that he can not get it back from Claire. So some apperently Mohinder f's up somehow in the power retake angle and Peter loses some power-ups.

Sylar needing to explain the "understanding ability", since in season one they explained that the only obvious marker Sylar has is for telekensis and that is the one power Peter steals from Sylar by proximity, I am ok with him needing some extra-help to get the others.

Claire turning villian. No biggie. Since she has been refused help by the "good guys" in learning to protect herself, it seems likely she will go villian since they will likely be the only ones that will assist her.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1549370' date='Oct 9 2008, 09.11']But then why name the earliest mutant Adam? Hmmmmm???[/quote]
Bad sushi?

Well, he was in Japan pre-refrigeration, so maybe he just had one nigiri too many and overdosed on mercury. Poof. Mutant.
:leaving:

[quote name='14th Dragon' post='1554169' date='Oct 13 2008, 13.11']Sylar needing to explain the "understanding ability", since in season one they explained that the only obvious marker Sylar has is for telekensis[/quote]
They did? Is this in one of the comics?

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1554516' date='Oct 13 2008, 21.05']Hmmmm...would things improve on this show if Ali Larter's "hero" costume was simply her [i]Varsity Blues [/i]whipped cream bikini? And she wore it all the time? Just throwin' that out there...[/quote]

I like the way you think sir!

There's so much stupidity and ridiculousness in tonight's episode I can't even speak.

Its getting to the point where one has to wonder if they planned anything or just brainstormed the day of shooting the episodes about what would be *in* the episode. I'm beginning to doubt that there is a story to be told.

Not one of the characters are even remotely interesting so far, they just keep getting dumber each episode *sighs*. I third the whipped cream bikini vote. I really don't understand why they keep bringing her back as a character.

They've just made all the characters pretty useless now.
SPOILER: tonight
I had guessed about Parkman's father being behind the Linderman thing awhile ago, that is a little interesting at least. Of course they ruined it with Mr. Petrelli. Angela Petrelli really needs to die. Her continuing plotline seems to be simply revealing annoying secret after annoying secret. Hiro used to be my reason to keep watching for comedic value... not so much anymore. I can't believe they made him kill Ando (we know there will be a twist and Ando will magically be back next week). Claire forgiving her father so quickly, or seeming to is frustrating. Future Claire at least seems interesting. I prefer the non-goody goody Clair to this one.

Archived