HEROES

Jed o' Tarth

[quote name='Angeleyes' post='1537489' date='Sep 30 2008, 13.32']Anyone else get the feeling that Parkman's "Spirit Walk" may just be an incident similar to the Mic Feedback loop he got from Peter in season one when they tried to read each other's minds? As in, Peter puts him in Mental Prison, Parkman has the power to escape this prison... But at the moment he doesn't realize that maybe he is trapped. Thus he subconsciously is editing his prison, into a 'Spirit Walk' so his character finds a purpose outside of surrogate father in a creepy, probably unbeknownst to the CPA relationship with Mohinder and Molly.

Notice Walkman (Parkman's painter) says something to the effect that 'I cannot tell you when your spirit walk is complete. Only you can.'[/quote]
This was my first assumption when Parkman appeared in Africa. He is trapped in his own mind.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1538032' date='Sep 30 2008, 20.33']Well, she's dead now. Unless you mean the new one, Tracy?

I thought the Jessica/Nikki stuff in Season 1 was fine. I may be alone in this, but it always put me vaguely in mind of Dany: a storyline totally divorced from the rest of the action but touches on it in a few points before coming together at the end. However, Micah got a bit annoying in the end and the whole thing in S2 sucked to hell.

I am glad that Nikki/Jessica/whatever the other personality was is gone for good. Ali Larter is a reasonably decent actress and it'll be interesting to see what she can do with some new material, aside from boffing Captain Sheridan, obviously.[/quote]

That's what I meant. Honestly, if I hadn't hated Jessica/Nikki so much, I might've have bothered to learn a name.
As it is I just think of her as less annoying hot Ali Larter character reboot.

That's easier to remember.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1536901' date='Sep 30 2008, 05.40']As to the silver tongue... It's just weird, the way Sylar spoke as if he suddenly had knowledge of FBI and police procedures in hostage situations. I thought it so uncharacteristic that I figured it had to be a power.[/quote]

Remember that he took Charlie's power in season 1, the girl with the super memory. If he'd read up on some FBI manuals, that knowledge would still be as fresh as if he just read it. The rest is, as someone else mentioned, Sylar trying to be anyone other than Gabriel Gray- watchmaker.

[quote name='AverageGuy' post='1537288' date='Sep 30 2008, 09.31']Yes, I'm just trying to go out there to figure out how he copies their powers. He finds something in their brains, and then I would think it's implied he changes his own brain. Which might account for his instability. I was trying to say he might change his brain with telekinesis and his first victim's power just happened to be coincidental, though it helped him understand his own abilities better, which would explain why it was hardwired in.[/quote]

I think it goes back to when Suresh the elder first found him, and he said something to the effect of, "I just see how things work and am able to fix them." It makes me think that he examines the brain, and when he finds the part that gives people their powers, he is able to turn that on in his brain as well somehow.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1538032' date='Sep 30 2008, 17.33']Sylar's coming across as a bit of a chump.[/quote]

He's always come across as a bit of a chump. The only difference is, before he was shadowy and mysterious. Now we know all about him, which is that he was a big loser/geek who became a serial killer in order to get powers and be "special". Mama Petrelli's insight was new, though. She said that he can't help it, its his power that makes him need to examine others/kill. It's a little more interesting than him just being a psychopath, but I don't like the possible road of redemption it can lead him down.

I don't want to see Sylar as a good guy, ever. The most I can accept is a light shade of gray.

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1538721' date='Oct 1 2008, 12.14']I think it goes back to when Suresh the elder first found him, and he said something to the effect of, "I just see how things work and am able to fix them." It makes me think that he examines the brain, and when he finds the part that gives people their powers, he is able to turn that on in his brain as well [b]somehow[/b].[/quote]
The somehow is the issue.

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1538721' date='Oct 1 2008, 12.14']He's always come across as a bit of a chump. The only difference is, before he was shadowy and mysterious. Now we know all about him, which is that he was a big loser/geek who became a serial killer in order to get powers and be "special". Mama Petrelli's insight was new, though. She said that he can't help it, its his power that makes him need to examine others/kill. It's a little more interesting than him just being a psychopath, but I don't like the possible road of redemption it can lead him down.

I don't want to see Sylar as a good guy, ever. The most I can accept is a light shade of gray.[/quote]
I don't really see how her insight was that new...all we've seen him do is collect powers for two seasons. It has always been clear that he has a compulsion to collect more and more powers.

How is Sylar remaining evil, as is, interesting? There is no potential character growth there, nothing interesting in his future. There is nothing that can legitimately challenge him other than the Haitian or some bullshit the writers make up for the sake of it. There is nothing at all interesting about Sylar at this point other than his heritage maybe (adopted or not) and why.

The compulsion to examine is an interesting component - if this were a well-written show it would be very cool to watch him battle that. But it is not a well-written show so they won't.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1538734' date='Oct 1 2008, 08.22']How is Sylar remaining evil, as is, interesting? There is no potential character growth there, nothing interesting in his future. There is nothing that can legitimately challenge him other than the Haitian or some bullshit the writers make up for the sake of it. There is nothing at all interesting about Sylar at this point other than his heritage maybe (adopted or not) and why.[/quote]

I didn't say I wanted him to stay evil, I just don't want him to be a good guy out saving the world with Hiro and Peter. We don't need another good guy who can't be stopped.... or at least, who can only be stopped by his own retarded actions/decisions.

I've no doubt he ends up killing Ma Petrelli in the end, and then I want him to disappear or actually formulate a plan for what he wants to do outside of taking people's powers. Maybe he uses her dream powers to control the future and shape it exactly how he wants it to be. It would be interesting to see a future where the only supers left are Sylar, Adam, Peter and Claire... I guess.

[quote name='Dagger' post='1538751' date='Oct 1 2008, 12.35']The compulsion to examine is an interesting component - if this were a well-written show it would be very cool to watch him battle that. But it is not a well-written show so they won't.[/quote]
I suppose so. It seemed like the end of the episode had a decent chance to at least show some inner conflict before he took the powers instead of a sort of "Oh yeah, I should probably collect here" and immediate action. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.

The idea that Parkman is in his own head is a good one and would be interesting, still I'm not sure what the payoff is going to be other than it being an interesting twist. Sort of, so what if he figures out a way out of his mind or out of Africa?

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1538756' date='Oct 1 2008, 11.39']The idea that Parkman is in his own head is a good one and would be interesting[/quote]
The only issue I'd have with that idea is we saw him disappear from Future Peter's POV. They were standing there, Peter did his whatever and Parkman disappeared. So, either he trapped him in his own head [i]and[/i] teleported him somewhere else, or he just teleported him somewhere else. I suppose it's not completely out of the realm of posibility, but it just seems less likely. Also, I don't give the writers enough credit to see them remembering that Peter should be able to do that.

The other side of that plot that bothers me is that the bushman not only has the same power as the S1 painter, which I don't mind, but he paints in the exact same comic book style! [i]That[/i] bothers me.

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1538493' date='Oct 1 2008, 14.58']This was my first assumption when Parkman appeared in Africa. He is trapped in his own mind.[/quote]

Is it really necessary to trap us there with him though :P

Like the character, like the actor (first victim of the smoke monster in [b]Lost[/b]!). However, his storylines in S2 and S3 have been dull as dishwater.

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1538721' date='Oct 1 2008, 10.14']Mama Petrelli's insight was new, though. She said that he can't help it, its his power that makes him need to examine others/kill.[/quote]
I think she's still manipulating him. He doesn't want to think of himself as evil, so she gives him an excuse as one more way of controlling him. Or else the writers have forgotten he was still a bastard when he lost his powers.

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1538721' date='Oct 1 2008, 10.14']Mama Petrelli's insight was new, though. She said that he can't help it, its his power that makes him need to examine others/kill. It's a little more interesting than him just being a psychopath, but I don't like the possible road of redemption it can lead him down.[/quote]

Yeah, I liken it to a vampire like thirst for blood.

And Wert,

:lmao:

The show continues the same as it has always been. Moments of brilliance, moments of incredulous baffelement and moments of complete disinterest. The principal problem of the second season was that the stories fractured and all these characters that should have stayed together (indeed, we had spent a whole season waiting for them to get together) went their own way. What should be an ensemble show simply becomes a show of a thousand pieces. I'm seeing this same problem afflict this season, as a viewer the interest (and the time) is severely divided between multiple storylines, some of which are inevitable inferior and bog everything down (looking at you Parkman).

[quote name='redxavier' post='1539834' date='Oct 2 2008, 08.54']What should be an ensemble show simply becomes a show of a thousand pieces. I'm seeing this same problem afflict this season, as a viewer the interest (and the time) is severely divided between multiple storylines, some of which are inevitable inferior and bog everything down (looking at you Parkman).[/quote]

IMO the show is doing noticeably better this season at keeping characters together than they are compared to last season. I'm not saying it's perfect, but at least it [i]feels[/i] much less disjointed than season 2's beginning.

(Also, the fact that so far there's no new character as mind-numbingly boring as Maya and Alejandro were also helps.)

Okay, I'm entertained by Heroes a bit, but I find it hilarious that they are so clearly making it up as they go along. (Even moreso than what is done in the comic-book world...)

Hiro and Nemesis are adorable. (Yes, her name is Daphne, Nemesis is a better codename though)

[quote name='Ran' post='1537197' date='Sep 30 2008, 17.38']Hi Nails,

Problem with that is that Sylar never touched the police officer. Also, it's said that her power has to do with objects, not people. :)[/quote]

He did lean on the car before he said anything though - perhaps his power allowed him to remember a situation where an FBI agent had done something similar and was able to replicate it.

Sir Thursday

Just caught the first episode on the BBC. Middling start I have to say. Not back to season 1 form. There is still interest in the show of course, but I wish they would come up with some cool storylines or just axe a few characters.

P.S.

Anyone interested in seeing Nathan's character ( Adrian Pasdar) in an intriguing role should the series "Profit". That was villainous.

And yet another season where it seems we're giving a Nikki/Jessica/Tracy plotline that rambles with little to no connection to the main story. Parkman's story also seems to be a waste of time, though I agree, if he comes out of it with something connected to the rest of the characters, then it might re-deem it. Somehow, it'll all come together. At least, it better. :P

I'm confused as to where all of the stories are going!

Even the main story is somewhat sketchy, and it doesn't help that it's essentially the plot of both the first and second seasons regurgitated - stopping a bad future from happening. I wish they'd drop the time travelling elements (which they aren't very good at keeping consistent) in favour of something else.

Archived