HEROES

Jed o' Tarth

This week's episode was awesome. I have no idea what the official title of the episode was but I shall dub it the "Cavalcade of Retarded". Every single plotline, every single scene was a continuing string of retardedness. Everything that has ever been bad in this show was in this episode. Heroes inexplicably losing powers so that the "plot" can advance? Check. Heroes being utter retards? Check. Side plots which have no bearing whatsoever to the rest of the story and are boring? Check. Overacting? Double check.

I loved it

[quote name='grozeng' post='1545407' date='Oct 6 2008, 22.28']I actually really liked this episode. I am wondering how future Peter was killed by a chest shot though.[/quote]

Simple really. The writers are retarded and forgot he already had Claires power. Hence the scar.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1545413' date='Oct 6 2008, 22.32']Simple really. The writers are retarded and forgot he already had Claires power. Hence the scar.[/quote]

Well I don't think Future Peter really has a scar. He uses the illusion power to put it on his face for some reason we don't know yet (at least that's the explanation I use). But the chest shot should not have killed him, even with the Haitian around and if it did "kill" him, he would revive once the Haitian left the room.

[quote name='grozeng' post='1545407' date='Oct 6 2008, 21.28']I actually really liked this episode. I am wondering how future Peter was killed by a chest shot though.[/quote]

Well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on it for now, unless it's never mentioned again, thus justifying the reaction of it being "simply stupid".

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1545422' date='Oct 6 2008, 22.39']Well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on it for now, unless it's never mentioned again, thus justifying the reaction of it being "simply stupid".[/quote]

That's my take on the show. I enjoy it for what it is and don't try to overanalyze. I also wish they showed us what Suresh looked like. I understand why they didn't (because they don't want to grind his story to a halt) but it would have been cool to see a big fly or spider talking to Peter.

[quote name='grozeng' post='1545427' date='Oct 6 2008, 21.44']That's my take on the show. I enjoy it for what it is and don't try to overanalyze. I also wish they showed us what Suresh looked like. I understand why they didn't (because they don't want to grind his story to a halt) but it would have been cool to see a big fly or spider talking to Peter.[/quote]

Wait. What? I missed something.

And who's the "big return surprise"? Gotta be Daddy Petrelli, right?

Is it possible that Future Peter didn't save Claire from Sylar originally? Maybe he got his scar prior to getting the power. Season 1 Sylar could have still gotten Claire's power and she'd still have regenerated to be alive to kill Future Peter later on.

I also suspect that Mohinder has had the power of Stupidity all along. If I ever get my season 1 DVDs back I'm going to watch just to see if Peter didn't get stupid until he and Mohinder crossed paths.

What is the importance of Adam? I don't get why he's pivotal if Claire has the same power.

[quote name='mcbigski' post='1545449' date='Oct 6 2008, 21.59']What is the importance of Adam? I don't get why he's pivotal if Claire has the same power.[/quote]

Well, Adam is kinda the first Power, right? They probably all derive from him, so there's gotta be something to it. I'm cool with it because David Anders is a fun actor and I'd like to see his character get used better.

Wait... doesn't Peter automatically absorb the powers from everyone in contact with him? Why should he have to go through a special process to get Sylar's power?

No matter how ridiculously absurd and inconsistent it was, I really, really liked this episode.

[quote name='grozeng' post='1545418' date='Oct 6 2008, 20.35']Well I don't think Future Peter really has a scar. He uses the illusion power to put it on his face for some reason we don't know yet (at least that's the explanation I use). But the chest shot should not have killed him, even with the Haitian around and if it did "kill" him, he would revive once the Haitian left the room.[/quote]

I can't believe I'm going to defend this :bang: but... I think Peter's power doesn't give him the depth of ability that Sylar's does. While he does have Claire's power I believe that it is only active when his own power is active, and therefore the Haitian nullifying Peter's power will allow him to die a "true death".

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1545448' date='Oct 6 2008, 20.59']Wait. What? I missed something.

And who's the "big return surprise"? Gotta be Daddy Petrelli, right?[/quote]

I don't see how it could be anybody other than Papa P. But the writers are fucking awful, so who knows. :dunno:

[quote name='Tagot' post='1545453' date='Oct 6 2008, 21.03']Wait... doesn't Peter automatically absorb the powers from everyone in contact with him? Why should he have to go through a special process to get Sylar's power?

No matter how ridiculously absurd and inconsistent it was, I really, really liked this episode.[/quote]

I don't recall Peter using anybody's power that he didn't first know how to do intuitively. Why am I trying to rationalize things :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1545448' date='Oct 6 2008, 22.59']And who's the "big return surprise"? Gotta be Daddy Petrelli, right?[/quote]

SPOILER: big return surprise
It totally is Daddy Petrelli. They already cast him (supposedly Robert Forster). It's going to be company vs. company. The other question I have is how does Claire start working with the villains who seem to be working for Daddy Petrelli.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1545475' date='Oct 6 2008, 22.23']I can't believe I'm going to defend this :bang: but... I think Peter's power doesn't give him the depth of ability that Sylar's does. While he does have Claire's power I believe that it is only active when his own power is active, and therefore the Haitian nullifying Peter's power will allow him to die a "true death".[/quote]

Honestly, that sounds like a Post-hoc fangeek explanation. Too many inferences from nothing necessary to get from what they gave us (almost nothing) to the conclusion you drew. Don't let the writers off the hook that easily. There's really no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. They spent all of last season randomly pulling shit out of their ass when it was convenient and completely forgetting things when it wasn't.

I'm with Slurk on this one. A descent to season 2 levels of randomness, inconsistency, and stupidity for sake of plot furthering convenience. Peter absorbs all powers by proximity, but he needs instruction to get Sylar's and only develops Sylar's Season 3 tacked on power-motivated hunger after such instruction. (no evidence of it after any of the dozen Pete/Sy meetings in previous seasons) Future Pete killed by gunshots and remains dead even after the Haitian leaves while Claire and Pete apparently survive a nuke without problems.

Characters acting pretty much the complete opposite of themselves after 4 year character arcs that are apparently so severe, so thorough, and so well done that this show would most certainly never be capable of portraying it. Parkman is still wasting everyone's time. And of course the real threat to the future seems to be the stilted exposition virus which plagues every future character on the show.

So...yeah...this was shit. But now Pete conveniently has some demon to struggle with to counter his invulnerability. Via clumsy exposition we get that Claire believes Peter to be a murderous villain, but no idea where her sadist streak comes from.

And I know the question is unasked and likely to remain unanswered, cause the writers have no interest in the logical consequences of their plot contrivances, but where the hell does future Peter fit in? He shot Nathan to stop a future where mutants are all in camps. He did so. Now his future is gone, so how does he fit in the current one where everyone's a mutant and the world gets destroyed? That is not his future any longer. Might there be yet another future Peter in that one? Is that simply too confusing for the show to even bother with? Might this be advice to other shows not to fuck with time travel cause it does get this confusing?

And why does every timeline change seem to fuck things up even more? While this too is fangeek speculation most likely thoroughly unintended by any of the writers when they sat down to conceive the first season or this one, might super-fucked futures like this one be the reason the Company was willing and eager to let the nukes reign over NYC, as it'd somehow prevent the ultra plague or earth splitting or any number of other horrible futures?

Since this show is no stranger to strained exposition, they need a Matrix 2 style architect character to explain all this shit in a logical fashion. Just to give the illusion that the writers actually know what the fuck they're doing and always have known.

[quote name='EHK for Obama' post='1545525' date='Oct 6 2008, 22.04']Honestly, that sounds like a Post-hoc fangeek explanation. Too many inferences from nothing necessary to get from what they gave us (almost nothing) to the conclusion you drew. Don't let the writers off the hook that easily. There's really no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. They spent all of last season randomly pulling shit out of their ass when it was convenient and completely forgetting things when it wasn't.[/quote]

But if we don't give them the benefit of the doubt, then this has to be considered the worst show on tv - and it's not even close.

And we [b]must[/b] infer shit, because I don't think the freaking writers have answers for these types of issues.

[quote]I'm with Slurk on this one. A descent to season 2 levels of randomness, inconsistency, and stupidity for sake of plot furthering convenience.[/quote]

I don't think it ever elevated above the season 2 level of crappiness. The only thing this season has going for it compared to season 2 is that there's not anything [i]quite[/i] as bad as the wonder-twins storyline (although Mohinder turning into the Beast is pretty bad).

[quote]Peter absorbs all powers by proximity, but he needs instruction to get Sylar's and only develops Sylar's Season 3 tacked on power-motivated hunger after such instruction. (no evidence of it after any of the dozen Pete/Sy meetings in previous seasons) [b]Future Pete killed by gunshots and remains dead even after the Haitian leaves while Claire and Pete apparently survive a nuke without problems.[/b][/quote]

This seems to fit with my ramblings upthread. Future Peter dies when his powers are turned off by the Haitian, so why would they turn back on when the Haitian leaves? His body's already dead. Claire has a fundamental difference in her that makes it so her power cannot be deactivated, and this does not transfer to Peter...

...I'm very close on giving up on this show.

For some reason, I just assumed that Claire's gun fired special Peter-killing bullets - the result of four years of research into dealing with rogue supers. I even distinctly recall there being a flash of blue when the bullets impacts - though if no one else saw that, I suppose I must just have imagined it... :leaving:

I am really not feeling season 3 at all. I have been comforting myself all this time with the possibility that it was the writer's strike that made season 2 suck out loud. Like hey, maybe they just got off to a rocky start of the season and the rest of it would've tied it all together and been awesome, right? Now it feels like they've slipped into Lost-territory where the writers are just writing dumb shit and being mysterious for the sake of being mysterious, and there's no actual plot going on and no hope of resolutions to anything.

I loved season 1 of Heroes. We were discovering everybody's power, everything was shrouded in mystery that helped set the tone rather than just confuse people, the world is going to shit and the heroes have to save it and there was Hayden Panetterie, Missy Peregrym and Ali Larter. With the main arc being "save the world" and the smaller arcs of saving the cheerleader etc. I felt that the show was doing something different and fun, and they held an appropriate level of "what the hell is going on with ???" the entire season. The mysteries there were rooted in the story and uncovering them made the show better. We learned who the Man with Glasses really was and what he did, who he did it for, etc. We learned what was really going to happen (that is, who exactly is going to blow up?) at the end of the season and so forth. Also, the only time travel (Peter and Hiro on the subway for example) served to add some extra plot-twists and generally just set the show up.

Season 2 was just plain "what the hell is going on?". Peter wakes up in Ireland, Kristen Bell is hot and shoots lightning, the world is going to shit but it's also not going to shit, Hiro travels all over time and fucks the timeline up royally, stupid teen drama with Claire and Flyboy, the company is evil but not evil and who really knows what the hell is going on, then Peter dumps some irish chick in the future and Nate gets shot. Season finale. I'm sorry, what? I realise being cut off in the middle of the season was detrimental to making sense, but Season 1 made a lot more sense by episode 11 than Season 2 did.

Season 3 is starting to look sort of like Season 2. What the fuck happened to the irish chick? Why do they keep traveling in time and making things confusing and retarded? As someone mentioned, what the hell happens in four years to make [i]everything[/i] different? Peter's a terrorist hunted by Claire and the fear-eater is now a good guy? Or is Claire a bad guy now and Peter is a terrorist like John Connor is a terrorist? And someone is a Jeff Goldblum fan and had to write Mohinder into the Fly or some stupid shit.

They need to make their minds up about the time travel. Either stop going into the future and start living in the present, letting things unfold whichever way they will unfold, and only use the white-eyes-paint-the-future thing for projecting the chaos to come. Or, and I think this might be the better option at this point, pick one version of the future (everybody's got powers, everybody's dead, or whatever) and just transport the plotline there. Those who died in the intervening four years stay dead, those who survived carry on with a whole new story arc. Like this thing about Claire being a hunter for whatever power and Peter (and presumably others) being sort of the rebels could be the main ingredient.

If they travel through time in episode 5, I will stop watching this series.

I actually really enjoyed that last episode overall. There were still a few cringe worthy moments (Parkman, Hiro, Sylar teaching Peter his power, etc.). Still, I enjoyed it. I guess I was finally so traumatized by the incredible idiocy of the writers that my brain goes numb and just thinks happy thoughts while the episode is on. At least Monroe is back, despite being another invincible character, he is at least entertaining.

By turning my brain nearly entirely off, I was actually to enjoy (most of) the episode. I didn't mind all the inconsistencies, and my biggest reaction was when it was shown that Daphne was married to Parkman. Poor Daphne, from smartass thief to housewife...

Besides, we had the return of Adam, so for me the episode ended on a positive note. I do wish there was a bit less time travel, though. Besides, if powers are common as dirt in the future, then why are there apparently no other people with Hiro/Peter's time-travelling ability who've visited the past?... Oops, there I go, again using my brain too much.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1545787' date='Oct 7 2008, 08.38']Oops, there I go, again using my brain too much.[/quote]

That's the key - everytime I'd pause the show to complain about how the time travel elements make no sense, my wife would tell me to shut up and stop thinking so much. Good advice.

I'm about ready to give up on this show also, which is too bad, considering how much fun season 1 was.

Archived