HEROES

Jed o' Tarth

bubbs is jacked too. It must have sucked having to maintain the body of a junkie these last five years.

I'm wondering when Omar is showing up.

and yeah, this show is getting silly. you can't keep doing the good guy/ bad guy switcheroo every single episode.

[quote name='Bowed Bent Broken' post='1554629' date='Oct 13 2008, 22.33']I couldn't do it. a show about superheroes without limitations or any physical laws is just special effects. they lost me tonight. :([/quote]

They haven't lost me yet, but I don't really want to contribute anymore than my post at the top of the page. :(

Wow. What a horrific, incoherent mess. And so fucking sloppily written and acted. The first few minutes I seriously thought I was watching a daytime soap. The show has never really been known for its internal consistency, but I agree with the other poster, it seems like they're pulling stuff out of their collective asses the day of the shoot now. Could anyone make heads or tails of anything in the Hiro plotline? Why would he care to be recruited by thugs? Why would they think for a second he was recruitable? His little 'test' pretty much came out of nowhere. And of course they'll have a little twist to reverse it.

Its nice to see the Wire guys again, but after spending 5 years on the best written show in the history of television, they've gotta be slamming their heads against the wall with the crap they're forced to work with here.

[quote name='EHK for Obama' post='1554701' date='Oct 13 2008, 23.45']Wow. What a horrific, incoherent mess. And so fucking sloppily written and acted. The first few minutes I seriously thought I was watching a daytime soap. The show has never really been known for its internal consistency, but I agree with the other poster, it seems like they're pulling stuff out of their collective asses the day of the shoot now. Could anyone make heads or tails of anything in the Hiro plotline? Why would he care to be recruited by thugs? Why would they think for a second he was recruitable? His little 'test' pretty much came out of nowhere. And of course they'll have a little twist to reverse it.[/quote]

I agree 100%

[quote]Its nice to see the Wire guys again, but after spending 5 years on the best written show in the history of television, they've gotta be slamming their heads against the wall with the crap they're forced to work with here.[/quote]

I feel so bad for them... I'm sure the scripts they read were nothing like the shit they were asked to perform.

Marlo and Bubbs, you deserve so much better :cheers:

It really is suffering under the weight of too many characters. I'm not keen on Daphne, I'm not taken with the Suresh thing (eww), yet more villains getting introduced... It's a problem. The dialogue is not firing on all cylinders, either. Some painful moments in there.

I do like the explanation for "Lindermann", as far as that goes. I do like the fact that Nathan is a "syntehtic". And I do think the angle with Papa Petrelli could be interesting. But how the hell did he show up in Angela's dream/head, and how did he paralyze her? Very odd.

[quote]yet more villains getting introduced... It's a problem.[/quote]

If this show needs anything it is villains. There has been too few of them with any charisma or staying power (really only Syler)

Yeah, but puppet guy, and Knox, and Daphne, and, and, and... ? It's getting to be a bit much. The cast is too big, which means the story is getting sliced up into too many little pieces. Every time you introduce someone new, you've got to spend time establishing them, and given the half-assed Byzantine story they've got going, this is deadly.

I'm predicting that the show gets near-cancelled after this season, and they do one of those half-season "for the fans" deals to wrap it up. I certainly don't see it getting past one more season. It can't be a cheap show to produce, and I know that ratings have been on a downward trend for a long, long time (last week reversed that a little, but I suspect that'll prove to be a blip).

Yeah, this week's episode was the worst so far. Can't Hiro get a progressively wiser instead of progressively more naive? Future Hiro from season one was a million times better than the Hiro we have now, and I'd like to see him move in that direction. The bit with Ando in this episode just sucked. I'm sure there's some explanation, but I don't think it'll make it any less sucktastic.

OTOH, the rest of it was entertaining enough. Gotta say though, we took a break from watching season one of Dexter to watch it, and I couldn't wait to get back to Dexter. But...I still like it better than last season of Battlestar Galactica.

They neutered Angela Petrelli.

For the first couple seasons, she seemed to be a manipulative bitch who was behind who-knew-how-many of the goings-on. Now it looks like she really has been out of the loop for awhile, not to mention being incapable of outsmarting a paper bag.

Bringing Papa Petrelli back was simply a bad idea. Unnecessary.

Just a visceral reaction.

My biggest problem at the moment is the Mohinder storyline. First, injecting himself with an untried formula that he whipped up on the spur of the moment was [i]beyond stupid[/i]. Second, the mad-scientist-becomes-monster storyline is terribly unoriginal. Third, Maya was starting to improve as a character until she was stupid enough to go back to Mohinder's place. I hope they wrap this up really fast, but I fear it'll drag on.

Other than that, I just wish they'd weed out some characters instead of adding more all the time.

On a happy note, I loved Hiro's reaction when they walked into the "cantina". That was the Hiro we know and love!

[quote]I do like the explanation for "Lindermann", as far as that goes. I do like the fact that Nathan is a "syntehtic". And I do think the angle with Papa Petrelli could be interesting. But how the hell did he show up in Angela's dream/head, and how did he paralyze her? Very odd.[/quote]

The idea that Papa Petrelli is the head of a rival company was mildly amusing in its own way.

[quote]On a happy note, I loved Hiro's reaction when they walked into the "cantina". That was the Hiro we know and love![/quote]

Yes. Though I was thinking of the old "Bar With No Names" where villans in Marvel Comics would congregate. Then I actually, purely by accident I assure you, thought about it: "How can there be a bar where villanous powers go to look for work and yet the world still has no idea that powers exist? I mean, look at how the Level 5 guys acted in public..."

Why did the company allow these dangerous people to just be living alone like the Vortex guy and the Doll villain? Wouldn't they have killed them or put them in level 5? Is there any reason (other than having some people for Claire to potentially go after)?

The only thing annoying me about this show is how characters don't seem to learn from their mistakes. Or learn... at all. Especially Hiro. He's been through a whole helluva lot of stuff since he realized his powers and yet he's still as naive as when we were first introduced to him.

And Mohinder, well, he's never been that interesting. Making him a weird spider/fly/insect-like monster has just made him an uninteresting spider/fly/insect-like monster.

Also HRG's shtick is really getting old. "I'm just trying to protect my daughter, who is invincible and can't die but still needs protecting even though she's helped save the world and stopped a guy from going nuclear and killing us all and other shit but she's still just a little girl."

The rest of the show I haven't had a problem with. Papa Petrelli was reported as having killed himself, which was a convenient way of getting his son to not attempt to prosecute him/Linderman. I always figured he'd be back in some way, though there needs to be a good explanation as to why he's the big bad and wants to kill his sons (per Angela's dream).

[quote name='Ran' post='1554796' date='Oct 14 2008, 01.35']I do like the explanation for "Lindermann", as far as that goes. I do like the fact that Nathan is a "syntehtic". And I do think the angle with Papa Petrelli could be interesting. But how the hell did he show up in Angela's dream/head, and how did he paralyze her? Very odd.[/quote]

Since Angela's power is prophetic dreams, he could have had Parkman's dad insert him into the dream. It seems like his power might be similar to Eve(?)'s in season 1, the speaking power. The way he told her not to move or to stay still or whatever made me think that at least.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1555144' date='Oct 14 2008, 07.43']Why did the company allow these dangerous people to just be living alone like the Vortex guy and the Doll villain? Wouldn't they have killed them or put them in level 5? Is there any reason (other than having some people for Claire to potentially go after)?[/quote]

I was under the impression that the vortex guy was one who escaped from Level 5. The puppeteer, though, I don't have a clue. I think he'll just be a minor villain with a somewhat cool power who turns out to be little more than character development for Claire.

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1555153' date='Oct 14 2008, 11.48']I was under the impression that the vortex guy was one who escaped from Level 5. The puppeteer, though, I don't have a clue. I think he'll just be a [i]minor villain with a somewhat cool power who turns out to be little more than character development for Claire.[/i][/quote]
You pretty much made my point here, the writers are just creating characters to trying to create situations or fuel development with no concern for how the new characters fit into the story. The vortex guy might be legit, although I thought the only ones that escaped were the ones that banded together. The other one though is just fucking awful.

Yeah they seem to just be coming up with powers and shit just to make us go "wow". Honestly they need to return to the core story.

Like every show/comic that does so, there were 3 flaws with this whole show, that they fucked up right from the beginning:
1) Time travel. It doesn't work... it simply confuses everyone, and pretty soon your whole story becomes one massive clusterfuck. With future peter impregnating past sister who teleports through time to stop future peter's mom from banging his dad and blowing up the universe in the nick of time going back to get a pickle for her hamburger which was the last pickle ever made so they bring more back from the past and blah blah blah... I won't even mention the whole Ali Larter shit, where they just gave her a new role because her old character sucked.

2) Invincible heros. X-men does the best job of having their core heros NOT be invincible. No one is completely invincible, and everyone has PHSYICAL as well as psychological flaws. The fucking doctor is in a wheelchair for Christ's sake. With Peter, future Peter, Syler, Adam Monroe, and Clair all virtually invincible, it becomes really gay.

3) No closure. They really need to have story arcs that aren't one massive soap opera. They need to do it Babylon 5 style, where we originally thought that Season 1 they get together, Season 2 they form their team, season 3 they beat down the villians. So far they just go from clusterfuck to clusterfuck. There is no unity amongst the characters, and no real "moving forward" for the characters. Everyone is still all spread out and they keep adding more and more characters. The company shit needs to end already, and they should wholesale slaughter every character involved with it... instead of making it the source of all evil.

At this point, they basically need to kill Peter, Syler (too powerful), Mohinder (mad scientist crap is retarded), HRG, Mama Petreli, all of the company, and limit all powers to being SUPER-human, not godlike. If they made the powers obey roughly the laws of physics, they wouldn't have this shitstorm.

So in last week's episode did anyone notice that Sylar's kid's name was Noah, as in HRG Noah? So in this clusterfuck of a story in the future, is Claire the baby's mama or did he just love HRG as a partner so much he had to name his son after him? :P

Archived