HEROES

Jed o' Tarth

[quote name='Narishma Reborn' post='1562185' date='Oct 20 2008, 20.14']Wanted to call this theory first, at 10 minutes in...

Papa Petrelli steals powers, which for Adam caused him to crumble to dust once the immortality was gone.

Kinda obvious, but my folks didn't quite make the connection, so I thought I'd see if others confer.

If true, this is good, because it can FINALLY get rid of some unkillable characters. If the writers let themselves do that.[/quote]

I wouldn't mind seeing Peter go.

Fscking thank god. I know they're not likely about to kill Peter, but at least they can make a lot of things make sense (the scar, etc). They probably did it by accident, but hey, whatever.

I actually enjoyed today's episode. The Hiro vs. Precog was probably not a high point of originality, but hell, I laughed. Popcorn show indeed.

Well I tried turning off my brain to just "enjoy the ride" -- I fell asleep and missed about minutes 30-50, and woke up to see Sylar version 0.5 steal Peter's powers... LAME! The ridiculous amount of people dieing and coming back to life is only trumped by the amount of times people lose and gain variable powers.

we conjectured that Omar would show up, and his power would be Omar.

but honestly, I find it hilarious that people are actually agonizing about the quality of individual episodes in this show: after BSG started taking stupid-pills and the Wire ended, Heroes has been upgraded to my favorite hour on TV, and this has ZILCH to do with the intellectual caliber of the show (which as much as some might bitch, is still several school grades ahead of what a single button click would reveal on nearby channels). I enjoy the show because it simply presents damned-hell-ass powers well: brains are telekinetically cut open and examined, time is stopped to give people Texas funerals, and cheerleaders are maimed with zero accountability.

I truthfully require NOTHING else in a television show.

[quote name='Narishma Reborn' post='1562185' date='Oct 20 2008, 21.14']Wanted to call this theory first, at 10 minutes in...

Papa Petrelli steals powers, which for Adam caused him to crumble to dust once the immortality was gone.[/quote]

Yeah, that's also what I thought.

I'm actually glad Peter lost his powers - he was getting totally out of control with them. Though I don't think Papa Petrelli getting them is a good thing. I wonder if he'll also be afflicted with the hunger?

Yeah, I was wondering if getting the hunger -- which I'm pretty sure he doesn't know Peter had from future-Sylar -- may prove to be his downfall.

I can't imagine Peter's lost his inital power, or at least not permanently.

Following up on what someone said, that each time they try to change the future, they just create a future where it gets even worse...

Will the next season feature future Hiro discovering that aliens attracted by the Von Neumann machines created by Micah are going to blow up the entire solar system?

And I can't imagine it making it one more season after that, but if it did, next step up is the galaxy ... or at least the Orion arm of it.

I have to say I was very shocked to see Adam's death. I didn't expect them to do anything so final looking to him!

BTW, does anyone else think that we'll eventually learn that future Ando only fake stabs future Hiro? Lolz.

Maybe its been brought up before, but is anyone else noticing some of the comic book analogies with these characters? (I mean, besides the obvious powers, I guess)

A few that came screamingly apparent to me with the last episode:

Suddenly Mohinder's become a dark version of Peter Parker, mixed in with The Fly.

Papa Petrelli is such a Norman Osborne that its not even funny.

The whole Sylar, Peter, Dallas Petrelli thing is interesting.

Peter can intuitively mimic powers by emoting people, Sylar, by logically breaking them down and seeing how their brain works, and the dad, by simply leeching them away. (a la the Parasite from Superman)

Oh yeah, two more off the top of my head:

-the Puppet creepo was an interesting combo of the Toyman and Mad Hatter.

-I just noticed the Peter Petrelli had the alliterative super hero alias name thing going

Stupidity rules!

African Future Painter says he can only paint Parkman's future until this episode but apparently was lying and Parkman is a complete idiot.

Speed Girl doesn't get stopped by Hiro's time powers until this episode so he can conveniently save Ando.

Despite Mrs. Petrelli saying last season that it wasn't possible to kill Adam for the long years the company controlled him, Mr Petrelli does it easily even though he could have done it at any point for say the last 30 years before his attempted suicide murder thing making Mrs. Petrelli look even more like a fucking idiot.

Peter magically regains the use of his brain and can use his powers again but then his power isn't working properly again as he doesn't leech his Dad/Fear guy/Speed girl's powers before his dad seemingly steals Peters junk.

Mohinder continued his inexplicable descent into evilness. Why is he webbing people up? Well obviously because having powers has turned everyone of the heroes "bad".

Claire is a retard and should have died instead of Adam. Hmm I guess that one is just my opinion.

[quote]African Future Painter says he can only paint Parkman's future until this episode...[/quote]

What's the issue? Once he meets Parkman, he's able to paint other things. Far as I can tell, his paintings of his confrontation with Hiro are brand new.

[quote]Speed Girl doesn't get stopped by Hiro's time powers until this episode so he can conveniently save Ando.[/quote]

Fair enough, though given that Hiro can change the rate of the passage of time, maybe it just took him making an extra hard effort to fully stop time which he had never really bothered to do before?

[quote]Despite Mrs. Petrelli saying last season that it wasn't possible to kill Adam for the long years the company controlled him...[/quote]

Fair enough on this one, though I suppose saying that they had a way of killing him would have possibly gotten some questions, which in turn may have led to discussing Arthur. But I think that this thing was certainly on the fly.

[quote]... then his power isn't working properly again as he doesn't leech his Dad/Fear guy/Speed girl's powers before his dad seemingly steals Peters junk.[/quote]

He doesn't often grab people's powers in 15 seconds, so this is silly.

[quote]Mohinder continued his inexplicable descent into evilness.[/quote]

I think the stuff he injected into himself has messed with his brain. Not all that inexplicable, given how comic book science works.

[quote]Speed Girl doesn't get stopped by Hiro's time powers until this episode so he can conveniently save Ando.[/quote]
[quote name='Ran' post='1562914' date='Oct 21 2008, 13.52']Fair enough, though given that Hiro can change the rate of the passage of time, maybe it just took him making an extra hard effort to fully stop time which he had never really bothered to do before?[/quote]
Hiro didn't "stop" (or slow down) time in this instance. He blinked out, did some stuff, and blinked back a femtosecond later.

[quote name='Ran' post='1562914' date='Oct 21 2008, 13.52']Fair enough on this one, though I suppose saying that they had a way of killing him would have possibly gotten some questions, which in turn may have led to discussing Arthur. But I think that this thing was certainly on the fly.[/quote]
We have no proof that Arthur Petrelli was actively associated with the company concurrently with the company wanting to kill Adam Monroe.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1562885' date='Oct 21 2008, 13.23']Speed Girl doesn't get stopped by Hiro's time powers until this episode so he can conveniently save Ando.[/quote]

In their first encounter, when she stole the first half of the formula, Hiro did freeze her for long moments before she regained the ability to move.

[quote name='Ran' post='1562914' date='Oct 21 2008, 13.52']What's the issue? Once he meets Parkman, he's able to paint other things. Far as I can tell, his paintings of his confrontation with Hiro are brand new.

Fair enough, though given that Hiro can change the rate of the passage of time, maybe it just took him making an extra hard effort to fully stop time which he had never really bothered to do before?

Fair enough on this one, though I suppose saying that they had a way of killing him would have possibly gotten some questions, which in turn may have led to discussing Arthur. But I think that this thing was certainly on the fly.

He doesn't often grab people's powers in 15 seconds, so this is silly.

I think the stuff he injected into himself has messed with his brain. Not all that inexplicable, given how comic book science works.[/quote]

Ran,

First Peter has grabbed peoples powers in 15 seconds or less so no it wasn't silly. Second, so the painter suddenly being able to paint everybody's future instead of Parkman's doesn't strike you as odd considering it didn't happen until right when the story needed it? Third the point of the conversation between Traci and Mohinder was to describe what happens when you first used the power that was 'installed' in you. Traci murdered a guy by accident and feels remorse, Mohinder has murdered several and despite his character previously being completely goody two shoes he suddenly is a monster with no remorse. Yeah.

Krafus,

She wasn't frozen when Hiro used his power in the first episode, she was faking it.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1563061' date='Oct 21 2008, 15.45']Krafus,

She wasn't frozen when Hiro used his power in the first episode, she was faking it.[/quote]

When was that mentioned? I can't recall that scene.

[quote]First Peter has grabbed peoples powers in 15 seconds or less so no it wasn't silly[/quote]

Whose power did he grab in 15 seconds or less? ;) Saying it doesn't make it so.

And it's not really like it's generally a _conscious_ power. He grabs it when he grabs it, and then he has to _know_ he's grabbed it, which he generally doesn't know. How often have we seen him do the "whoah" Keeanu Reeves thing when he busts out with yet another power he didn't realize he grabbed along the way?

[quote]doesn't strike you as odd considering it didn't happen until right when the story needed it?[/quote]

No. It reminds me of [i]Watchmen[/i], where Doctor Manhattan's view of the future stops at a certain point full of static, and it's the only thing he can see until he gets past that point. For Mr. African Sir, Parkman was static, and once he got past him, he was able to see beyond that.

[quote]Third the point of the conversation between Traci and Mohinder was to describe what happens when you first used the power that was 'installed' in you. Traci murdered a guy by accident and feels remorse, Mohinder has murdered several and despite his character previously being completely goody two shoes he suddenly is a monster with no remorse.[/quote]

I don't get this criticism. Comic book science. He injected himself with some juju, it gave him powers and has driven him batty at the same time. What does Tracy have to do with anything?

The issue with Mohinder's turning is his immediate and heartfelt reaction to Tracy's subterfuge. It was like he had been waiting for someone to finally question what the fuck he was doing so that he could pour his heart out. Believing its authenticity from Tracy was classic moronic Mohinder at the height of his naivete despite turning into a monster (sort of).

eta- I really can't get over how predictable and fucking awful the entire Claire storyline was. That was one of the worst storylines within an episode that I can remember (maybe back to her flying bff). At the end, what exactly did Claire do that impressed anyone (in the context of the characters)? If anything, it should have tipped Doyle off because she so obviously was asking to be shot...when there was no fucking point. Doyle was going to make the mother shoot anyways (although I suppose getting her to fire off more than one time was not his plan), so wtf. How were neither Meredith nor her mother immediately thinking, "All we have to do is shoot Claire!" right from the very start???

I had my boyfriend watch the first episode of this season and the recap they broadcast right before and I was almost embarrassed at how terrible this show is and how I insisted he watch it. I think a part of him is wondering how I could be amused by this show and have an IQ above 80, and frankly I don't blame him. I've never aplogized for making someone view a movie/show with me until Heroes. But here I am, still watching. : /

Just caught up and watched the last three episodes. Although I hated season two and was not too impressed with the beginning of season three, I really enjoyed the last couple of hours. I like how they introduce plotlines centered around new heroes with creative powers but dont drag them on forever but have them end within one or two episodes.
Hiro's storyline was funny for the first time this season (come on, both the shovel-thing and exchanging the sword were good ideas), Adam's comeback was well done and Mr. Petrelli seems to be the best villain the show had since Sylar in season one. Even Mohinder's and Nikki's (what was her new name again?) storylines are kind of creative and enjoyable.
If they now manage to give a more or less plausible explanation for what happened when Mr. Petrelli faked his suicide and connect it loosely with the events from season one (and most importantly clarify the relation between the two companies), I'm willing to like the show again.

Weekapaug,

So he's schizo. I still don't see the issue. ;) It's clear to me that he's just not right in the head since he shot up with that concoction, and anything he says or does has to be filtered through that. :)

I think it'd be rather hard for any mother to think of shooting her own daughter, even if intellectually she knows her daughter would take no harm from it.

Archived