>1cm snow expected in uk, whole country to close indefinately!

BigFatCoward

Yup. First Capital Connect seem to be running the trains on my line without a problem.

That is pretty amazing in itself, seeing how utterly shite their service is on normal days.

I spent my entire breakfast refreshing the Rail Information page, hoping that the copious amounts of snow in Sussex would have closed the line. Sadly not, but instead there was a broken down train at Gatwick to do the honours. Woohoo! :D

Lyanna: must be just like a bit of home, right?

This is the year it will snow in Phoenix. I can feel it in my bones.

I have it all planned out- I'm going to grab a 12 pack of Budweiser, a couple lawn chairs, and my friends and I are going to camp out at the intersection of 7th St. and Indian School Rd. and watch all the traffic accidents. People here can't drive in the rain, so given a good hard snowfall, there will be accidents all over the place.

In baltimore we're supposed to get 16 INCHES of snow tonight, maybe even 18, which is like a foot and a half, which is like, what almost 45 cm? I'm not good at math. Anyway I'm not even getting off work tomorrow, which is an outdoor job mind you. FML

In baltimore we're supposed to get 16 INCHES of snow tonight, maybe even 18, which is like a foot and a half, which is like, what almost 45 cm? I'm not good at math. Anyway I'm not even getting off work tomorrow, which is an outdoor job mind you. FML

Yeah, this is what I've been dealing with since yesterday morning. Man the hell up and get frostbite like the rest of us. :smoking:

That being said, I'm over this weather. It needs to disappear post-haste. Bad news is they're predicting even *more* snow come Sunday. :tantrum:

Also, I learn the oddest things by looking up where people are from (well, odd to me.) Most golf in the world is controlled from St Andrews! Sussex - not at all where I thought it was. (which was next to wales the western english coastline someplace). Pitea - has an island thats unsinking due to bouncing back from the weight of glaciers, which is just weird.

Maybe you were thinking of Wessex rather than Sussex?

I've heard that Scotland is also still rising in a reaction to the melting of the glaciers in the last Ice Age, whereas England is actually sinking slowly instead.

Back on topic, there has been a reasonable amount of snow by Cambridge standards, which given that I'd never seen significant snowfall here until back in February this year, isn't saying much. I'm currently wondering if the council are ever intending to actually attempt to clear the pavements or anything other than major roads, today the only clear bit I saw was the path leading up to the County Council offices.

Tomorrow I'm going up to Scotland on what should be a 7 and a half hour train journey if everything runs on time, so I'm really hoping they deal with the snow well.

Not surprising they cleared the path to the County Council offices, if your local council's anything like the one in West Sussex where one of my close friends works - everyone working there who lives within a three mile radius was expected to walk to and from work today if necessary. :/

Said friend was meant to be turning up to mine today and couldn't because of the snow. :( And I got to work with no drama at all, and Shepherd's Bush was snow-free so there wasn't even any pretty white stuff to look at outside. :( I feel bereft.

I've recently got in the habit of sleeping 7 hours and waking up, added to this living in a city this cold weather and snow just feels like bollocks (beautiful clouds with sun behind it on the horizon yesterday was something though). Planning on going up to the 'wilds' this weekend, the woods, the hills the heathland, the cold wind, the snow in face, has felt good in years past, context, mindset. I'm someone who likes to put himself into the extremes of nature (like many others), but put me in a place where I want comfort but aint getting it, damn I'm alittle irritated :P

Edit to add: Just looked out the window seeing the rooftops and trees capped with snow in the quietness of the night :) *Happy*

Maybe you were thinking of Wessex rather than Sussex?

I've heard that Scotland is also still rising in a reaction to the melting of the glaciers in the last Ice Age, whereas England is actually sinking slowly instead.

I'm sure that makes Scotland rather happy. :P

I had this notion that all the Exes were bunched together someplace next to you-know-where. I swear I went camping in one of them once.

I'm sure that makes Scotland rather happy. :P

Yes, it may take a long time for England to be submerged while Scotland rises higher, but the Scots are willing to wait ;)

I had this notion that all the Exes were bunched together someplace next to you-know-where. I swear I went camping in one of them once.

There's Exmoor, which is fairly near to where Wales might be is such a country existed. Most of the -exes are nearer to London, Sussex is south of London, Essex is east of London, Middlesex is just next to London and Wessex is to the west of London, although it does stretch a long way, even up towards where the Welsh border might be if such a thing existed. Although the other compass points are represented with Sussex, Essex, Wessex, I don't remember hearing of a region for the North Saxons, which is probably a good thing since I don't think anyone would want to live in a region called Nossex :leaving: .

DC shuts down after 1 inch and we are getting 12+ so we are screwed.

Yeah, It's one thing for cities that never get snow in any great degree to be freaked out by it. But this happens in DC with some degree of regularity. I lived there for a while, and we got a foot of snow that completely shut the place down. The whole federal government went on holiday I think. I believe the lack of snow tolerance has to do with the number of people who are from other parts of the country, because given the place's weather, it should really be better equipped to deal.

Aww, this thread is making me miss Sweden. Swedish winter is awesome.

NYC snow can be okay, Central Park (and other parks) looks very nice after a good snow storm but New Yorkers in general can't deal. I rember feeling completley chocked the first time I hear schools in NY closed because of snow. That has never ever happened to me in Sweden.

Glad this storm is comming now, before Im flying anywhere.

ETA: Can't stop giggling about the little area of "barmark" south of Goteborg. :) Even Malmo is getting snow!

DC shuts down after 1 inch and we are getting 12+ so we are screwed.

Not only does Seattle shut down with more than an inch of snow, last year the green crowd that runs the city convinced the roads department not to use road salt (not even the modern alternative to NaCl). During a week of heavy snows (I forget the exact details, but there was more than one day with a 6-inch fall), they just put sand on the roads, and told everyone that should be sufficient. Not only was it impossible to drive anywhere, but they still had snowed-in streets a week after everyone else in Puget Sound had melted out. In an astonishing move for the land of the latte lappers, they actually voted the mayor out this fall, and the winter snow mess was considered to be a major contribution to his downfall.

You win a cookie.

Not surprising they cleared the path to the County Council offices, if your local council's anything like the one in West Sussex where one of my close friends works - everyone working there who lives within a three mile radius was expected to walk to and from work today if necessary. :/

Said friend was meant to be turning up to mine today and couldn't because of the snow. :( And I got to work with no drama at all, and Shepherd's Bush was snow-free so there wasn't even any pretty white stuff to look at outside. :( I feel bereft.

It's that damned Central Line. Why can't it snow underground?? But then, even the District Line was running so I had no excuse not to get into the Bush for work.

That 'man' is the most annoying comedian I've ever seen.

? "Man"?

Archived