Lost Season 6 thread

Demonblade

So wait. I'm going to be serious again.

If Mother couldn't leave and Voldemort couldn't (shouldn't) leave how on earth is Jacob able to leave?

And is he somehow tethered to the island when he's out there interacting with candidates?

That was the big burning question among all the questions I had last night.

Oh, and Mother gave Jacob a drink from that bottle that Voldemort smashed in Ab Aeterno.

So was that strictly a symbolic drink or is Jacob going to be missing something in passing the torch to the next candidate?

I think (and of course, this is purely my speculation) that once Richard became his consigliere, Jacob could leave the Island at will, because Richard was left in charge of the Island as temporary guardian. He also had Richard go and seek out people to bring back to the Island. I think that perhaps it's most significant that Jacob deemed the Losties important enough to go out and see them himself. We had never seen him off Island in that respect before, but we saw how he manipulated ships to wreck on the Island. I'm willing to guess that perhaps the Losties are the only ones he actively sought out himself.

So wait. I'm going to be serious again.

If Mother couldn't leave and Voldemort couldn't (shouldn't) leave how on earth is Jacob able to leave?

And is he somehow tethered to the island when he's out there interacting with candidates?

That was the big burning question among all the questions I had last night.

Who says Fake-Mom couldn't leave the Island? She doesn't WANT to, but I don't remember anything saying she couldn't.

Oh, and Mother gave Jacob a drink from that bottle that Voldemort smashed in Ab Aeterno.

So was that strictly a symbolic drink or is Jacob going to be missing something in passing the torch to the next candidate?

I'm assuming it was purely symbolic.

I mean, he shares some with Richard.

The game - Mother wants Brother to have it because ... why? No reason, she just loves him I guess. Jacob and brother play it and bond over it, which was nice, but we only get the most cursory philosophical discussion over the game. I get that the black/white represents their opposing outlooks, but we only get a tiny, tiny slice of that. Jacob doesn't even flesh out his ideas that men might be good - just a quick question he doesn't follow up on. MiB doesn't even give him something to think about, like 'Men can be loving and good at times, but overall they are just like mother said'

I still think there's some significance to the fact that it's MiB's game and Jacob even comments that the MiB is making the rules up as they go along...

And Jacob's belief that men are good is rooted in his desire to prove, at least to himself, that he is good too, despite his "killing" of his brother...

Anyone else notice that Jacob was born with his eyes open? No idea if that has significance or not, but it really stood out to me, especially that shot of the babies side by side.

See, the thing that stood out for me was that Jacob seemed to be calm and content as a newborn while MIB was crying his little heart out. Dunno, it felt to me as if the difference was intentional.

I didn't like this episode much. I expected answers, something beyond the "I'm SPECIAL!" bit. I agree with many of the people in this thread who have concluded that it seems as if the writers just put things in the show that seemed cool at the time and had no plan to explain them.

Count me in on those disappointed in the episode. But the show isn't ultimately about MiB and Jacob, it's about the Losties so ultimately I don't really care all that much about what answers this episode might have given.

(On a side note, I was completely thrilled with the end of the Sopranos. :lol: I sense I'll be in the minority when things are said and done on this, as well. :P)

Me too. IIRC, I teased Rockroi after he complained about the Sopranos finale. He still hasn't responded to any of my posts. :dunno:

Ultimately, this show is about the survivors of Oceanic 815: their journey, their discoveries, their redemption. As long as they receive the answers that are relevant to their journey, I'll be happy - and I'm happy to leave the rest to my imagination. We have 3.5 hours left to see the rest of the story - I can not, and will not judge until the story is complete.

I shouldn't judge too soon, you're right. I am happy with the 815 crew - their stories and motivations have been fully fleshed out and I understand how and why they are making the moves they do. It is a good story and I have enjoyed it these past 6 years. I'm just thinking that it could have been so much better (but I will reserve final judgement).

Sadly, my disappointment led to me not being excited for the finale and I read some spoilers. I kind of wish I hadn't, but I don't really care at this point. That's what's making me sad - that I don't care.

I have no idea what's to come, this is pure speculation, but I'll spoiler it anyway

Re: The Wine

With mom alluding to the transubstantiation (that's the right word, isn't it?) of the drink and the potential powers, I'm guessing Jack is gonna go slightly cannibal and in some manner, consume Jacob's ashes.

I think that someone else said it best - Jacob has a premature sense of honor and what's right, and thinks about things at an adolescent level - that of gaming. He's never been part of humanity, of real humans, or even what relationships are. For him, humans aren't really real. He's...well, a sociopath.

I think MiB at least understands that humans are real and he doesn't think all that highly of them. He manipulates them and knows how to push their buttons, but I also think he understands human life all too well.

Not sure who MiB is as I've been unable to watch this season :P) Here's some thoughts: Jacob is a metaphor (subconscious within the creator almost certainly) for the absolute horrendous influence those very few with the most severe mental issues and extreme intelligence have on the rest of us. Because of who he is he embodies power, a power we are all capable of, however his true power like the devil's relies on being given to him by others, and that is his weakness.

In the real world a few of these types of psychopaths are uber-successful, but this is the catalyst that akes that type of behaviour so congruant for success, and thus emulated by those not harwired (this is our quick route to power, ignore others existence, but by doing this we would still rely on others for power. A bully needs the victim to act like a victim. Those persecuted when they take control of their own power, the former persecutor shrinks as they have lost the power they were being given. If the formly persecuted then becomes the persecutor then the role has just been reversed, and it likely will as it is seen as the route to power.

The essential point is this: this is not the route to real power as it relies on others for that power, power we have already but are in such doubt about.

I have mixed feelings about the episode but more than anything 45 minutes did not seem long enough to tell the distant back story of the Island. Honestly it seems as though they were suggesting that fake-mother was also some sort of Smoke Monster when you consider that she killed an entire village and seemed to know what the fate of those entering the light would be. Was she the first? if so then how long ago? during the period when Egyptians built the statue, temple, and smoke monster engravings/vents?

How is making a plane crash and killing 80% of the people on the plane giving anyone a choice?

Was the choice he gave Dogen (come with me or your son dies) much of a choice? Was Ilana? Was his asking Hurley directly? I think that his idea of free will is kind of weak.

It's otherwise interesting to think of FakeMom as this plotting, scheming person. I didn't get that level of competence from her; I genuinely thought that she thought MiB would be 'the one' and had been setting them up for that, and thought Jacob...wasn't. It didn't seem like a lot of this was in her control, one way or another.

Desmond making the choice to follow Kevin caused the plane crash.

So, FakeMom had powers, right? Because she trashed the makeshift village and managed to kill all of the other people. Her powers were pretty destructive? We don't see her heal anyone with her powers. Does Jacob just create that ability for himself? Why does that power work when he is off the island?

(Btw, anyone else think that in about...oh...one year? Maybe two, we'll have a chance to buy the DVD: "LOST Explained"? It'll just be the producers and writers being interviewed and explaining everything without the distraction of actors or filming schedules.)

(Btw, anyone else think that in about...oh...one year? Maybe two, we'll have a chance to buy the DVD: "LOST Explained"? It'll just be the producers and writers being interviewed and explaining everything without the distraction of actors or filming schedules.)

Sure. It will contain mainly new questions and mysteries.

Or maybe this DVD should be created by fans, and given to the writers ?

Posting the original conversation between the two:

It's funny, I had thought that MiB was trying to find a way to leave the island. But, it seems that he's actually looking for a loophole that will allow him to kill his brother instead (as seen in the video clip).

I was thinking the mom was the original "old smokey" and that's how she trashed the villages AND filled in the dig site. And that MiB took over that ability as he HAD to have been "brought back" somehow (per their mother stating that she "made it" so they could not kill one another). That leads me to believe that MiB is now old smokey and can take on any physical form, including his former self.

It's also interesting that island "spoke" to MiB, showing him the ghost of his mother--something MiB is now capable of doing with others--showing them the dead (all except for Hurley who has this ability on his own-similar to MiB in human form).

And this clip (start at around 25 seconds in), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-2mqMUI3s

Has MiB holding the same "wine" bottle and breaking it (symbolically speaking, a breaking of the "bond" in a sense). But, it also reiterates that there is a forced balance. Whoever takes over as guardian of the island will (in turn) keep the MiB from leaving.

It makes me wonder about who will stay behind to replace Jacob, and, if someone will eventually take over for the MiB as well--if he too can have a successor.

It makes me wonder about who will stay behind to replace Jacob, and, if someone will eventually take over for the MiB as well--if he too can have a successor.

I'm calling it now: Hurley will be the new smoke monster. (More likely it will be Desmond, but a man can dream, can't he?)

So my hubby started watching the pilot today...he's been emailing me every 2 minutes:

What the fuck is that loud sound?! That's no good...

Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit!!!!!

Who the fuck is this blonde bitch?! "I'll eat on the rescue boats." They ain't coming bitch!

Dear god! Does something bad happen to the puppy?!

Seriously though, does something bad happen to the dog?! Does he get eaten by the bear? Does he at least die being noble? Like defending jack from the bear?

And what was charlie doing in the bathroom? Is he a druggie?

Holy shit! The pilot just got eaten! Fuck me!

:rofl: This is entirely too fun for me! I'm also answering every question with "Hmmm" so he really thinks Vincent is going to die...

So my hubby started watching the pilot today...he's been emailing me every 2 minutes:

:rofl: This is entirely too fun for me! I'm also answering every question with "Hmmm" so he really thinks Vincent is going to die...

Hahaha, mine is on season 3 now. And he's like,

"who is this Juliet ho?"

"wtf does Ben want with Jack?"

"haha, Sawyer got a fish treat"

(snicker)

• 4 years later...

Archived