June 2010 - What are you reading?

RedEyedGhost

I just finished David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas (2:42am), and it was absolutely wonderful. I'll write more once I've given it some time to digest.

Up next is something much lighter, Giles Kristian's Raven: Blood Eye. In fact, I think I'll be going lighter for the next several books - my brain needs a break.

Now it's your turn; you know the drill.

Finished The Princess Bride last night. Fantastic.

Now I'm reading two books which coincidentally happen to be about people going about killing Ancient Greek mythical monsters and gods - Age of Zeus by James Lovegrove and God of War by Matthew Stover. Which of these books will destroy the other in a bloody duel to the death?

I actually finished these books in May, but only now I got to talk about them.

First it was N.K. Jemisin's "The Hundred Thousand Kigdoms" which came as a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect much and the synopsis made me think of a different story, but in the end it proved to be an interesting novel. It has its flaws, but nothing that stands in the way of the story. I've also posted a review on my blog.

I also finished Andreu Martin's "Barcelona Connection", a crime/noir novel. Not the best I read, it feels a bit like a movie script and I think that this is due to the fact that the novel was first wrote as a script and after that as a book. It points to a few realities that although are known they are also ignored sometimes.

Now I am reading K.J. Parker's "Purple and Black" and I will start today Helen Oyeyemi's "White is for Witching".

Now it's your turn; you know the drill.
I cannot help thinking of the other thread and getting all outraged that someone would have the nerve to ask me what I'm reading.

N.K. Jemisin's "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms"

*sigh* Ok it's a good book, I mean there have been dozens of good reviews all over the net and such but none of them mention the simple fact that the darned thing is a romance.

OMG.

I have nothing much againts romance novels, but if I buy a (genre) fantasy book, I expect fantasy not a heroine looking for love.

Its heavily into romance and follows the traditional structure and has all the elements of a romance novel, it was very disturbing lol.

The mythology part also falls flat, unfortunately. Despite the violence it seems pretty cut and dried and strangely pc.

It makes me laugh that the whole problem is jealousy. I mean, this soooo a romance novel and not fantasy at all. Dang.

I've just finished Gathering Storm and am now reading Warriors. Last night I read the part I heard GRRM read way back at Worldcon Denver. Now to finally finish the story...

Well, with still no way to justify spending money on new books that I really want to get, and some stuff I'm looking forward to not due until later in the year, I find myself reading the odds and ends that have been sitting on my shelf for years and years...for instance, I've got the Elizabeth Moon Heris Serrano Omnibus that I bought for some reason I can't remember nearly 10 years ago and I'm finally getting through it...

I cannot help thinking of the other thread and getting all outraged that someone would have the nerve to ask me what I'm reading.

Hahahahha. :P

I just finished "The City and the City" by China Mieville (loved it) and now am dithering what to pick up next from my "To read" pile. Perhaps "The Lions of Al Rassan".

Hahahahha. :P

I just finished "The City and the City" by China Mieville (loved it) and now am dithering what to pick up next from my "To read" pile. Perhaps "The Lions of Al Rassan".

Have you read Kay's Under Heaven? It's excellent.

I'm still reading Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham. I'm about a half dozen chapters into Book Two. I'm a little dissapointed that magic is beginning to loom large since Durham was doing so well without it.

I didn't finish An Autumn War by Daniel Abraham, yet two chapters left - but I just have the urge to write this down.

Wtf? Sterile? Oh Mr. Abraham - thank you for the twist. I really thought that Maati will bind the Andat and everything will be okay again. Never saw the sterilization coming. Awesome!

I've just started Steph Swainston's Above the Snowline. Not quite sure what to expect from it, I'm often a bit wary of prequels, but I did enjoy the Castle trilogy a lot so hopefully I'll like this as much.

I didn't finish An Autumn War by Daniel Abraham, yet two chapters left - but I just have the urge to write this down.

Wtf? Sterile? Oh Mr. Abraham - thank you for the twist. I really thought that Maati will bind the Andat and everything will be okay again. Never saw the sterilization coming. Awesome!

Pretty much my reaction as well.

Pretty much my reaction as well.

Stone-Made-Soft was the most likeable Andat, thus far. I am not sure if I'll see any of them again. I miss Stone-Made-Soft =(

Yeah man, you are cruel, after reading your Username I got sad :P

Archived