NBA Off-season

Rhom

Most important thing no one is talking about: The Decision has set back an American city about 10-15 years. This is almost the equivalent of Katrina hitting New Orleans. Minus the deaths, of course.

Word was that the Bulls might go after a 2nd tier player after they tried for the big boys. Two guys mentioned were JJ Reddick or Kyle Korver. Since they couldn't get a 2nd max free agent, looks like they want both.

Bulls ink Korver 3yrs 15 million

Bulls offer Redick 3 years 20 million Orlando has 7 days to match.

Both would fill a big need for a perimeter shooter. Redick I've seen play, good shooter and a try-hard defender. Korver I don't really know much about other than the over 50% 3pt shooting.

Most important thing no one is talking about: The Decision has set back an American city about 10-15 years. This is almost the equivalent of Katrina hitting New Orleans. Minus the deaths, of course.

Oh, Clevelanders are more resilient than that. We're used to getting shit on, and are experts in turning that to bitter, satisfying hatred. Local TV was covering all the "LeBronfires" being held in the area, where Cavs fans go to burn their LBJ gear publicly. It's also common to be seeing people wearing number 23 Cavs jerseys with big black X's through the 23.

LeBron is a douche, but he's only the number 2 sports douche in Cleveland sports -- Art Modell has a lock on number 1.

Kind of funny that LBJ can't even be number 1 at that.

Details of the contracts emerge, http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5368003

[James and Bosh] signed matching six-year, $110.1 million contracts, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher. Dwyane Wade took an even bigger discount to stay in Miami, signing for six years and $107.5 million, according to the sources.

Sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford that James and Bosh are scheduled to make $14.5 million and Wade $14 million in 2010-11.

Each player took $15 million less over the life of the contract to sign with Miami, but the deals came with a caveat.

All three contracts, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein, have an early termination option after the fourth season that would allow LeBron, Bosh and Wade to return to free agency in the summer of 2014. Each player also possesses a player option entering the final season of the contract (2015-16).

Bosh and James' deals were completed through sign-and-trades, making all three eligible for 10.5 percent raises each year.

The Heat sent two future first-round and two second-round picks to the Cavaliers for James, while packaging two first-round picks to the Raptors for Bosh.

Sources told ESPN that Toronto reacquired its first-round selection in 2011, which Miami had from a 2009 trade that sent Shawn Marion to the Raptors, and added the Heat's own first rounder in 2011.

Miami then sent its first-round picks in 2013 and 2015 to the Cavaliers and Cleveland has the option to swap first-round picks in 2012, according to a league source.

Interesting that Cleveland and Toronto gets something out of this.

Something I just thought about while reading the last several posts:

LeBron James is an international superstar. He's been one arguably since he was 16 years old. For him, going to Miami to play with Bosh and Wade isn't about winning a ring (though that is part of it), it's not about playing in a big market city. It's about finally having peers. This is a guy who has been held on a pedestal for almost half of his life. Wade and Bosh are both guys who are on his level, guys who know a little bit of what he's gone through.

It makes me sympathize a little bit, but will never take away from the enormous amount of ignorant, arrogant douchosity he displayed during his little ESPN show.

I get it, this guy has lived like a "king" since he became an official adult and probably before. He doesn't know any other way to live. But that does not take away from the fact that he acted like a spoiled bitch and took a shit on an entire city and fandom while doing so.

Now, on the point that he's scared or whatever... I think it's more that he doesn't care. At this point in his life, I think he's given up on being an all-time basketball great, and is willing to settle for a massive amount of fame, money, and fun playing hoops with his buddies in Party Central, USA. And that's fine. It's his prerogative.

When you're 25, considered one of the greatest players in the game and you decide you "don't care" anymore and head off to a team with two other elite players, one of whom already owns the town your going to and has a ring already, then you're scared of something. Even if it's just yourself.

It will be very curious to see if more does come out about what went on behind the scenes in Cleveland. Gilbert's letter suggested that we would learn more, but I don't know that we can take that seriously at this point. I also think it's conceivable that Gilbert has things that he would like to share, and Stern has already cracked down and warned him to drop it. I don't mean incriminating-type stuff. Just behind-the-scenes drama that the media would eat up.

I'd very much like to see the TV movie on all of this. I mean, how did Maverick Carter and the other boys convince LBJ to push World Wide Wes aside? I mean, he was basically the only adult in the room through this whole process it seems...

When you're 25, considered one of the greatest players in the game and you decide you "don't care" anymore and head off to a team with two other elite players, one of whom already owns the town your going to and has a ring already, then you're scared of something. Even if it's just yourself.

LeBron has been considered one of the best players in the game (at least currently). I don't think anyone ever considered him one of the greatest. But I don't think he necessarily has to be scared; I think you're trying to be as harsh as possible for whatever reason. He just doesn't have that desire to be the greatest, and would rather enjoy himself. He's spent seven years with the expectations of a city riding squarely on him; he's allowed to get sick of it. It's not as much fun to watch, but I don't think you get to call him scared for making what is, objectively speaking, the choice that's better for his happiness and mental health. You want him to want to be the best, because it's more interesting, it's a better story, it's more dramatic - I want that, too. But it's not my call to make.

I just want folks to acknowledge that he's abandoned the pursuit of greatness.

Details of the contracts emerge, http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5368003

Interesting that Cleveland and Toronto gets something out of this.

I read that on ESPN earlier and it's bizarre that they don't mention the biggest thing in those "trades" for Toronto and Cleveland, that being the 15 million dollar trade exception. That is a huge exception if you are team that doesn't mind spending money ie Toronto. Cleveland probably won't do anything with it, but I'd put it at 75% sure that TO will use it before the end of summer.

What a trade exception does is allow uneven cap trades. So say there's a team out there who wants to shed salary to make more money, like say Phoenix. Toronto can now offer them nothing to take back Steve Nash's 13.2 million dollar salary if the Suns really want to get out from under the money.

I've been thinking on the "super-team" and a problem for them. What are they going to do when every team plays a zone against them 100% of the time? At best (unless they can get Okur or Bargnani or drag Rasheed out of retirement) they will have 1 3 point shooter on the team when it counts. Wade and LeBron are not great shooters.

I want the season to start already.

So I wonder if anyone here still doubts that the 3 big free agents had this all planned out for months or even years given the quotes from the weekend?

ESPN has an interesting article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5371956 . Nothing is going to come out of it unless Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer (best name ever for a newspaper by the way) has proof Wade promoted Miami to James or both before July 1st(which is tampering) it's moot. But wouldn't it be interesting if he does have proof? Would would the punishment even be? Something like what happened with Minnesota over the Joe Smith debacle?

In other news, looks like Toronto has shipped out Turkoglu to the Suns for Leandro Barbosa.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5372405

I'm very pleased with this move even if Barbosa stinks and backs up 3rd string pg Marcus Banks all year. Why? Because Turkolgu got one of the worst contracts in the NBA last year with 4 more years at 10 million or more each and Barbosa is signed for 7 million over 2 years.

Thank god for trade exceptions.

So I wonder if anyone here still doubts that the 3 big free agents had this all planned out for months or even years given the quotes from the weekend?

ESPN has an interesting article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5371956 . Nothing is going to come out of it unless Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer (best name ever for a newspaper by the way) has proof Wade promoted Miami to James or both before July 1st(which is tampering) it's moot. But wouldn't it be interesting if he does have proof? Would would the punishment even be? Something like what happened with Minnesota over the Joe Smith debacle?

The Pig Squealer is generally a terrible paper, though Windhorst is a great NBA beat guy.

The claim that this is just sour grapes from Cleveland fans based solely on his decision to leave is just wrong. A significant part of the fan base was heavily critical of LBJ after game 5 of the Boston series. Even prior to that game, there was a running debate regarding whether his weird, up and down performances were due to the mysterious elbow injury, or to him not caring. Game 5 was such an obvious tank job that a lot of folks were furious about it.

One school of thought is that he tanked the series intentionally because it would have been too hard to explain why he was leaving a team that had just won a title. In other words, he wanted to lose. Personally, I think otherwise, for the most part. He was on an emotional roller-coaster because he knew he planned on leaving, was frustrated that he had to carry the team, and so tried to prove a point by showing what would happen if he didn't carry the load. Whatever the reason, the self-described leader of the team intentionally gave less than his best effort, and didn't seem to care when his team lost. The man certainly has a right to go to another team, but tanking the most important playoff series in the franchise's history for whatever reason is inexcusable.

And Jesse Jackson with his "slave" comments is just an ass. Athletes have left this city before, and the pattern has always been that how they left determines the reaction. Many people in Cleveland hate Jim Thome because he ran this hometown hero line of bullshit throughout his contract year, going so far as to claim they'd have to tear the uniform off his body, before bolting. On the other hand, CC Sabathia made no such promises, took out an ad thanking the folks of Cleveland for their support, and gets cheered every time he returns. Fans don't have a right to hold onto a player forever, but they do have the right to expect effort in critical games.

Yesterday's NY Post headline was classic. Big picture of Lebron and the headline reads "Welcome to New York, Jackass."

Awesome.

Bron better get used to this shit. He deserves it.

In other news CP3 made some comments about the Knicks forming their own "Big Three". Amare, Paul, and Melo? I'd take it...

So remember when I mentioned that the trade was Turk for Barbosa? Well it's a lot bigger now and involves another team. The Raps are also trading Jose Calderon and Reggie Evans to Charlotte for Boris Diaw and Tyson Chandler. I'm not sure how it's actually working but according the Raptors beat guy Doug Smith the Raptors don't even have to touch their trade exception from the Bosh deal. While there is no "confirmation" on the big sites yet Steve Nash has already confirmed on twitter that Barbosa is gone, and Tyson Chandler himself confirmed to Yahoo Sports that he is a Raptor.

I'm fricken ecstatic at these deals. We take back a little more money short term but save around 35 million in the next two years cap wise. Both Turk and Calderon's contracts were awful and they are both gone. Add in that Chandler is basically exactly what you want paired with Bargnani and Diaw is fantastic defensively and a solid playmaker on offense and I'm a happy boy.

And who knows what we are going to get with the trade exception.

Yesterday's NY Post headline was classic. Big picture of Lebron and the headline reads "Welcome to New York, Jackass."

Awesome.

Bron better get used to this shit. He deserves it.

Based on the expected drop in his Q score, it could cost him well over $100M. Heh. Not only did he piss off fans in Cleveland, New York, New Jersey, Chicago, and Orlando, but his popularity even among fans at "neutral" sites has dropped precipitously as well. That's just an enormous loss of potential income.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/71071/spike_lee_channels_oliver_stone_in_diatribe_against_miami_thrice

I'm fricken ecstatic at these deals. We take back a little more money short term but save around 35 million in the next two years cap wise. Both Turk and Calderon's contracts were awful and they are both gone. Add in that Chandler is basically exactly what you want paired with Bargnani and Diaw is fantastic defensively and a solid playmaker on offense and I'm a happy boy.

I think the only way to win a title without a superstar is to have a dominating defense. Diaw and Chandler are good acquisitions in that direction, and Jarret Jack is a hell of a defensive PG. If I were you guys, I'd see if there was any way to pry Iguodala out of Philly, because that would give you a hell of a defensive backcourt.

Based on the expected drop in his Q score, it could cost him well over $100M. Heh. Not only did he piss off fans in Cleveland, New York, New Jersey, Chicago, and Orlando, but his popularity even among fans at "neutral" sites has dropped precipitously as well. That's just an enormous loss of potential income.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/71071/spike_lee_channels_oliver_stone_in_diatribe_against_miami_thrice

Which will all be a non issue if/when they start winning.

See also: Ron Artest.

So remember when I mentioned that the trade was Turk for Barbosa? Well it's a lot bigger now and involves another team. The Raps are also trading Jose Calderon and Reggie Evans to Charlotte for Boris Diaw and Tyson Chandler. I'm not sure how it's actually working but according the Raptors beat guy Doug Smith the Raptors don't even have to touch their trade exception from the Bosh deal. While there is no "confirmation" on the big sites yet Steve Nash has already confirmed on twitter that Barbosa is gone, and Tyson Chandler himself confirmed to Yahoo Sports that he is a Raptor.

And who knows what we are going to get with the trade exception.

Pretty good job by Toronto getting rid of awful deals. Hedo should be very happy too, he could be a great fit in Phoenix. I wonder who is going to play power forward though. If they are hoping to survive with Hedo / Warrick playing 4, they are really, really optimistic.

I also wonder what Charlotte is doing. So far, they lost Felton, Diaw and Chandler while adding Calderon and Reggie Evans..Ugh!

Which will all be a non issue if/when they start winning.

Not exactly. The better Miami does, the more NBA fans in places like Orlando, New York, Chicago, and L.A. are going to remember this whole thing. They'll be resented the same way as the Yankees are for buying up championships, except without the tradition and media power. And no matter how well that team does, LBJ will be just one of three instead of just "the man" himself. I don't think his Q rating will ever completely recover from that.

See also: Ron Artest

Can't recall seeing too many Artest ads on TV.

Archived