So I just had the shit beaten out of me

Ski the Swift

Personally, I have no interesting in fighting and don't have an ego or pride thing in backing down. It's not worth it. Too many assholes out there who don't think a fight ends at first blood, and I'm not keen on taking chances when I have a wife and family to support. But if the other person or persons won't let it go, well, you may be willing to put your life in some drunk asshole's hands, but I'm not. And in my state, brandishing a weapon under those circumstances is perfectly legal.

And if you have a gun what's to say the other guy doesn't have a gun? Drunken assholes aren't generally known for their rational response to things. The fact that it is perfectly legal would greatly concern me but then I think US gun laws are insane so going over it again seems rather pointless as no one changes their minds.

If I'm not mistaken, Ski's in Australia. So all this gun to a fist-fight cowboy High Noon hypothetical is awesome if you're like, American and like, live in America. But it's kinda fucking moot to the Australian guy in Australia who's already been in the altercation and is now bleeding.

Ski, as far as your phone etc, do what makes the most sense to you. As to the bleeding from your ear, I hope you're indulging in some of that universal healthcare and getting yourself checked out. In the meantime, maybe we can all start researching the gun laws of your country and figure what we'd each do if we were in your country.

Ski's 'Riverside motherfucker' made me believe he's from California. I could be mistaken.

As for the gun argument, it's been summed up rather well by S John.

If i was being chased for several miles, in california (especially riverside) i'd have a gun ready and waiting.

Things are different in other parts of the world, and i get your guy's opinion about fire arms. But they are reality in the US, and a right. One i'm fully willing to exploit.

Had i been in that situation (again, assuming it's in Riverside, California) i would have assumed the other car had a weapon as well. Obviously the best end to this situation is getting away, but if cornered i would have protected myself.

Guest Raidne

In the meantime, maybe we can all start researching the gun laws of your country and figure what we'd each do if we were in your country.

I appreciate the point, and I see that it does look like Ski's from Australia although I swore he was talking about California, but if people in the thread are going to draw lessons to apply for themselves in the future, then what matters is (1) their own sense of morality (2) and the laws of the country that they'll be taking that action in (or, I suppose, in the US, which state). Naturally, if we were giving Ski advice about American law when he was in Australia, we'd be US centric assholes. Here, we end up talking about US law because, frankly, only an American would consider pulling a gun in this type situation, pardon my stereotyping.

Lastly, I offered to take the gun use hypos to a different thread if anyone found it offensive for it to be here, and that offer still stands, and of course anyone can feel free to do so sua sponte, as well. I could see it either way, and since Ski's offline, hopefully taking himself to a medical facility, so anyone can feel free to make that call as far as I'm concerned. :)

Edited for terrible typos.

Personally, I have no interesting in fighting and don't have an ego or pride thing in backing down. It's not worth it. Too many assholes out there who don't think a fight ends at first blood, and I'm not keen on taking chances when I have a wife and family to support. But if the other person or persons won't let it go, well, you may be willing to put your life in some drunk asshole's hands, but I'm not. And in my state, brandishing a weapon under those circumstances is perfectly legal.

I gotta agree with FLOW's attitude here. Fights are stupid and dangerous.

That's why I suggested AVOIDING them in the first place, which is usually pretty easy. And if you are forced into it, and the situation warrants it, escalating to a weapon can be a valid choice.

At the same time, this would not seem to be one of those situations because, unless there's missing details here, it seems this fight could easily have been avoided, which is the smart move.

So, Ski? I'm assuming you're no longer posting because you went to the hospital?

I didn't go to the hospital as the whole ear thing was just a cut on the part where my ear is attached to my head. It hurts and I will be going to see the hospital today.

I would of gone last night but I was drunk and had been up for quite some time. But the injury list to date seems to be:

-Almost having my ear punched off and as a result a tear with lots of blood and owies.

-Giant black eye and dislocated nose.

-Also feels like my right leg has been bent into another shape. I recall them trying to pull me out of the car and when that didn't work, they slammed the door onto my legs a few times.

If I'm not mistaken, Ski's in Australia. So all this gun to a fist-fight cowboy High Noon hypothetical is awesome if you're like, American and like, live in America. But it's kinda fucking moot to the Australian guy in Australia who's already been in the altercation and is now bleeding.

Ski, as far as your phone etc, do what makes the most sense to you. As to the bleeding from your ear, I hope you're indulging in some of that universal healthcare and getting yourself checked out. In the meantime, maybe we can all start researching the gun laws of your country and figure what we'd each do if we were in your country.

Quite right, I'm from Australia so all this gun talk doesn't really fit. First thing I did though was cancel the phone.

The police turned up pretty much just after the guys left and went through a whole interview. There was I think six of them and five of us, unlucky for me I somehow ended up being targeted for calling the police :thumbsdown:

We did get the number plates, so hopefully something is done about it and I can charge those mofos with assault or something.

Ski's 'Riverside motherfucker' made me believe he's from California. I could be mistaken.

I just really like the song.

Thanks y'all for the concern as well.

Guest Raidne

Oh good, I'm glad it's not serious head trauma, although what you describe nevertheless sounds like it pretty much sucks.

What did the hoodlums want, anyway? To rob you? To just into a fight? Did they confuse you with someone else?

They were just angry young men I guess. They wanted our phones for some reason, stupid really when as soon as any are stolen we would just cancel them. Lucky for my friends, my phone was the only one stolen. So inconvenient for me though. Pretty glad they didn't take my wallet though as there was quite a bit of cash in it.

I'd rather get the shit kicked out of me than have to shoot someone.

I'm not against getting my ass kicked. But this situation started off as a little more than just a random ass kicking. Car chase? Big group?

Seems like the right time to exploit my right to have a gun

As this took place in Australia, this now a non issue.

I thought he was talking about Riverside, California, too. :dunno::dunce:

The armpit of southern california...

Because I work late and sometimes have a lot of cash on me, I have pepper spray on my key ring as well as one of these in my truck. Ok against a lone attacker but not so good against a gang...

Sorry but I have to look at the responses from some of the US citisens and go WTF?

I mean shoot to kill against unarmed attackers?

Sorry but that's just effing sicko behaviour.

Ski and his buddies acted apropriatly in the situation, they didn't want to fight and tried to avoid it, when forced to they defended themselves against superior numbers and lost.

Nothing wrong in that in anyway, especially since they didn't shoot anyone.

Here you require a special license to carry a gun and using it in that situation would still result in charges, heck even pulling it would probably result in charges let alone killing someone!

In that situation let me ask you which group is more likely to be carrying weapons?

The thugs attacking Ski and his mates or the thugs attacking them?

Replace thugs with criminals maybe you will get the point.

Ski seems to be ok and his mates don't seem to be any worse off either, so why are people bullshitting about using guns?

Because that is what it is imo simple BS in this situation.

Archived