So I just had the shit beaten out of me

Ski the Swift

Why did you not use the phone to summon the law? Were you afraid of a DUI?

Is this a joke? Would you really expect the police to respond in time to help you in this situation?

ETA: Answer my question on the first page Ski :P

Oh and I agree with Stego on most things, is this bad?

I mean shoot to kill against unarmed attackers?

Sorry but that's just effing sicko behaviour.

The problem is that you don't know they're unarmed in the middle of a fight. One of them could pull a gun or a knife at any time. These guys seem to have deliberately set out to attack people, and so (in the US at any rate) I'd certainly expect them to have a weapon.

But then, I'm a woman, so this sort of thing doesn't happen to me. :) If a bunch of guys chased me down and tried to lay hands on me, and I had a gun, I would not question whether or not they're armed. (Although pulling a weapon if you're seriously outnumbered might not be a great idea either, depending on the situation....)

How many of you were there? Why didn't you kick their asses?

There was five of us including me. We didn't kick their arses because the mates I was with aren't exactly the very strong or fighting type.

Just so I know: How hard is it to punch a ding in a car the size of a watermelon with ones fists? Because the fella who got my ear and face did that. So I'm not sure what the hell they were on.

I guess I got one of them real good but that didn't help out much because it just enraged them to kick my arse more.

1. He did call the police. That's why he was targeted. This happened in the early hours of Sunday morning in a city with some of the worst statistics for drunken violence in the country.

2. Gunz. Hahahahaha. Thanks for the advice, John Wayne. Ski lives in Australia in 2010, not Tombstone circa 1880. He's probabaly never even seen a gun that wasn't in the holster of a police officer, or on the TV. Life isn't a video game.

3. Yes, there's a whole bunch of "logical" things Ski and his mates could have and should have done to prevent this. However, Ski and his mates were all probably pretty drunk. They're also on the young side I'm guessing. And, this may SHOCK some people, but I doubt Ski has much experience in being involved in a deadly car chase. People in these sorts of situations tend to panic, rather than make "logical" decisions.

4. Why didn't Ski and his mates fight back? He says they did. Again people - life is not a video game. A fistfight is not the type of scenario where one person ends up battered and bleeding, while the other walks away whistling jauntily. If you get into a drunken fight, chances are your gonna get hurt pretty badly, regardless of who "wins".

Ski - I'm really sorry this happened, but glad your ok. Take some comfort in the fact that these douchebags will almost certainly be caught. In addition to being charged, the driver will definitely lose his licence. Also, it could have been much, much worse. If this sort of thing ever happens again, remember this piece of advice; do not get out of the car.

Also, it might help to see a professional about this. Getting beaten like that is a violation, and it can fuck you up psychologically as well as physically.

And take it from me, dude; There's no shame in getting your ass kicked. It can happen to anyone, regardless of how "tough" or brave they think they are. Remember the immortal words of Al Swearengen; "Pain don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back."

Whatever, Canada. Go play nice-nice at Tim Horton's, and leave the ass-kicking to us, hey? ;)

You've obviously never seen a Canadian bar brawl. Those things are fucking brutal. Anyone who takes pride in fights has more than a couple of issues.

There was five of us including me. We didn't kick their arses because the mates I was with aren't exactly the very strong or fighting type.

Just so I know: How hard is it to punch a ding in a car the size of a watermelon with ones fists? Because the fella who got my ear and face did that. So I'm not sure what the hell they were on.

I guess I got one of them real good but that didn't help out much because it just enraged them to kick my arse more.

Cars are aluminum so not that hard, it would still hurt like hell though but with adrenaline pumping and alcohol in the blood most people wouldn't notice until afterwords.

You've obviously never seen a Canadian bar brawl. Those things are fucking brutal. Anyone who takes pride in fights has more than a couple of issues.

I think that came across, but just to be clear, I was joking.

And also, 99.9% of all Canadian fights are hockey-related. ;)

4. Why didn't Ski and his mates fight back? He says they did. Again people - life is not a video game. A fistfight is not the type of scenario where one person ends up battered and bleeding, while the other walks away whistling jauntily. If you get into a drunken fight, chances are your gonna get hurt pretty badly, regardless of who "wins".

Not if you're a UFC fighter.

Oh, Ski. I hope you're on the mend and that there will be no lasting physical/mental shit from this. Also, everything that Brady said.

ETA: Guns and drivers with road rage = road menace. Not only do they end up shooting the other driver, they also tend to end up shooting bystanders. Unless you live in a desert, yes, there will always be people around you who might get hit by a stray bullet or two.

Cars are aluminum so not that hard, it would still hurt like hell though but with adrenaline pumping and alcohol in the blood most people wouldn't notice until afterwords.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to ding a car these days, even with your fist or foot if you aren't concerned with the welfare of what you hit it with.

3. Yes, there's a whole bunch of "logical" things Ski and his mates could have and should have done to prevent this. However, Ski and his mates were all probably pretty drunk. They're also on the young side I'm guessing. And, this may SHOCK some people, but I doubt Ski has much experience in being involved in a deadly car chase. People in these sorts of situations tend to panic, rather than make "logical" decisions.

I don't know, Ski has been fairly short on the details of this "car chase" so we've got very little idea wtf happened.

Knowing Ski, this story is part of a cunning plan to pull out of Worldcon at the last minute :ninja:. How convenient that he lost his mobile - now none of the BwB can contact him...

Nah, in all seriousness, I'm glad you're alright Ski and hope your doctor gives you the OK to fly to Melbourne.

Glad to hear you're going to the doctor, Ski. It never hurts to get checked out. And I'm sure you're going to feel pretty sore for a while.

They didn't get your teeth, did they? That would be the only thing I'd fear for in a fight. Don't want to lose my pearly whites.:D

Rest up and feel better. Oh, and stay away from drunken debauchery for a while. It's obviously hazardous to your health. :grouphug:

Glad to hear you're going to the doctor, Ski. It never hurts to get checked out. And I'm sure you're going to feel pretty sore for a while.

They didn't get your teeth, did they? That would be the only thing I'd fear for in a fight. Don't want to lose my pearly whites.:D

Rest up and feel better. Oh, and stay away from drunken debauchery for a while. It's obviously hazardous to your health. :grouphug:

Cheers guys. I'm very glad they didn't get any of my teeth, I had braces and thousands of dollars spent on them.

Unfortunately I'm not so certain about staying away from the booze though. Circumstances place me at the World Con at the beginning of September. <_<

Wow, glad you're ok Ski.

But you should probably change your username after admitting that you got cornered after a road chase. Swift. Huh. Ski the Slow-moving is more like it. :leaving:

A friend of mine got a couple of his teeth knocked out for no reason at all a few months back. He was behind these three guys in an all night pizza place on the Lower East Side in NYC and when he went to give his order, the guy ahead of him got angry that he was cutting in line. He said he was sorry, thought they had already ordered...well, turns out they HAD ordered, because right about then their slices came out of the oven but they just wanted to start something with him, just because. He really didn't want to get into anything, told them it was alright and just a misunderstanding. Finally, he decided to just turn the other cheek (literally) and turned around to leave. One of the guys spun him around and sucker-punched him in the face. He must have had either brass knuckles on or maybe a large ring, because my friend remembers feeling metal hitting his teeth, which knocked them out.

Anyway, sometimes people just want to start these things. I never understand it, but some people just can't control their rage I guess, or get off on causing pain.

A friend of mine got a couple of his teeth knocked out for no reason at all a few months back. He was behind these three guys in an all night pizza place on the Lower East Side in NYC and when he went to give his order, the guy ahead of him got angry that he was cutting in line. He said he was sorry, thought they had already ordered...well, turns out they HAD ordered, because right about then their slices came out of the oven but they just wanted to start something with him, just because. He really didn't want to get into anything, told them it was alright and just a misunderstanding. Finally, he decided to just turn the other cheek (literally) and turned around to leave. One of the guys spun him around and sucker-punched him in the face. He must have had either brass knuckles on or maybe a large ring, because my friend remembers feeling metal hitting his teeth, which knocked them out.

Anyway, sometimes people just want to start these things. I never understand it, but some people just can't control their rage I guess, or get off on causing pain.

Assholes like that need to run into black belts more often.

Wow, glad you're ok Ski.

But you should probably change your username after admitting that you got cornered after a road chase. Swift. Huh. Ski the Slow-moving is more like it. :leaving:

I confess that the alcohol consumption prior didn't help my cause =(

Archived