Bin Laden reported killed

Jojen

<official mod warning>

Look, I hate doing this. But some of you apparently haven't read the Board Rules and FAQ (see links in my signature below) about one-liners, flat-out insulting people, and spam. I've already deleted a bunch of posts and feel like the mods should have better things to do other than hand out suspensions tonight. So: Don't insult people, e.g. calling them a fucking moron, or the like, unless you want your posts deleted and to get suspended. Be a little smarter than that, mmkay? Also, be civil, even if you think whatever someone just wrote is a flaming pile of monkey poo. Debate, but don't name-call and that includes in-thread accusations of being a troll. If you think someone is actually a troll or violating the rules, use the Report to Moderator button that is on the bottom left of every post.

</mod>

There are 100s of people outside the White House cheering 'USA! USA!'. Gotta love my adopted countrymen, although that chant usually occurs when more than four Americans congregate togeter.

I'd like to hear a few more details about the operation before going all analytical. For instance, I didnt catch if it was Islamabad where he was taken out.

There are 100s of people outside the White House cheering 'USA! USA!'. Gotta love my adopted countrymen, although that chant usually occurs when more than four Americans congregate togeter.

I'd like to hear a few more details about the operation before going all analytical. For instance, I didnt catch if it was Islamabad where he was taken out.

Most likely they are drunk GWU students. The White House was pretty close to my freshmen dorm.

He was killed in abbottabad

This is great timing actually. On Sunday the Taliban announced the start of their annual spring offensive. That is more interesting this year than in the past because of all the work that the US and ISAF has done over the winter to push the Taliban out of their former strongholds. Essentially the Taliban is expected to ramp up attacks all over Afghanistan for the next week or so. More than anything this would be to show the Afghans that they are still here, undaunted, and in control. They had put themselves in a bit of a tough situation, if you ask me. Because if they're kept in check for the most part over this next week they are going to look like they are weak and that the tide of the insurgency has turned.

Killing OBL, and the timing of it, is like a big middle finger to their spring offensive. This was supposed to be the Taliban's big week and two days into it the central figure in this whole cluster fuck is dead. I've been as pessimistic as anyone about the Afghan war, but I think that anyone who hopes for an Afghanistan that is safe and run as a democracy instead of an Islamic throwback to the middle ages should be optimistic about this news.

I know he needed to die. I'm glad we finally caught him. He was an evil man.

But I just can't revel in the idea of anyone being shot in the head. It's a good but somber moment for me, although I recognize I am probably in the minority amongst the chants of "USA! FUCK YEAH!" that are currently littering my facebook feed.

I think Obama should have the head put in a box so he can keep it in his office and make lengthy monologues to it, Swearengen/Indian head style.

I get where the people concerned about revelling in death are coming from, and I'm a pretty peaceful, liberal, non-death penalty guy but ... fuck that. I have zero problems dancing on this motherfucker's grave.

Yeah, it was Abadabad. Interesting it was near the LoC, although that might actually be pretty safe from his perspective (possibly even safer than the tribal areas on the Pak/Afghan border where drones could easily catch him).

And this would do what, exactly? Piss off a lot of people, cause more strife, and have no benefit but making Americans feel smug?

The guy's dead. What's done is done. Screwing with his corpse will do nothing whatsoever. Let's try to at least have the appearance of a civilized country, rather than something out of the Dark Ages, mmkay?

I think you some how miss understand my point. His body can not be returned because his grave would be used as a rallying place for those of like minds. Nor did I suggest his body should be desecrated. His body should be disposed of in an unmarked grave much like the top Nazis were buried in unknown places.

I think Obama should have the head put in a box so he can keep it in his office and make lengthy monologues to it, Swearengen/Indian head style.

I get where the people concerned about revelling in death are coming from, and I'm a pretty peaceful, liberal, non-death penalty guy but ... fuck that. I have zero problems dancing on this motherfucker's grave.

He should be like Cartagia in B5 and just keep a shadow cabinet of heads.

75 users reading this thread.

If that doesn't speak of the media's strength for demonizing individuals, then I don't know what does. I guarantee you that if Kim Jong-Il died we wouldn't have this many people caring about it. Nor if we had a thread about AIDS being cured, even.

It's fine and dandy that a sickening human being died, but what the hell is with all the "fuck yeah, America!" when America has sponsored plenty of terrorists, and is responsible for far worse tragedies than 9-11 ever was? Brainwashed patriotism.

I'm more interested in the board's reaction to the death than the death itself.

I think you some how miss understand my point. His body can not be returned because his grave would be used as a rallying place for those of like minds. Nor did I suggest his body should be desecrated. His body should be disposed of in an unmarked grave much like the top Nazis were buried in unknown places.

Well, I can agree with that. Sounds like the best course of action, but I suppose we'll see what happens.

I'm more interested in the board's reaction to the death than the death itself.

What do you mean?

I'm just sickened by such fanatical happiness over bloodshed by my fellow men. Sure, nod and be grateful that one more terrible human being is out of this world, but to revel in it and want to "dance on his grave" is just barbaric and repulsive.

Yeah, it was Abadabad. Interesting it was near the LoC, although that might actually be pretty safe from his perspective (possibly even safer than the tribal areas on the Pak/Afghan border where drones could easily catch him).

Interesting that the mission occurred in a mansion outside Islamabad, when the US has been told OBL was tucked away in the tribal areas. Yes, Cyrano, he probably was safer there, and a lot more comfortable.

I am curious about the details. Amazing that the mission was given the nod a week ago and there were no leaks.

And I sincerely hope this doesn't send a wave of reprisals across the world.

As to his body, I think there is going to have to be a return after verification, etc, etc. The US would be vilified for keeping the body or putting it on display. Just think how much money and person power would go to guarding it?

Archived