Britishisms invading American English

Ormond

If Britishisms are invading US English, will we be looking at the US switching to the correct spelling of grey, labour, colour, theatre, centre, etc?

I've always spelled it "theatre" but then again, most people who work in them do.

For the sake of consistency, we should probably bring the rest of our crime-words into line. Henceforth, a robber "robbifies", a murderer "murderizes" and a thief "thieverates". The extra syllables are a solemn indication of the severity of these acts.

I got into the habit of regularly using "bloody" at least 15 years ago, either from Brit cop dramas or Harry Potter (is it used in HP?), but started using "brilliant" from HP for sure. Before HP I used brilliant sarcastically, but changed my use to add a positive spin to it post HP.

For some reason my mother always found the word bloody to be very offensive (saw too much during WW II I think) but she picked up the word "bugger" from me, and I had to gently explain that if she found bloody offensive she would definitely find bugger offensive. :lol: She was great, she was. She was apalled, laughed, and tried to stop using it but it was a word she liked to would still use it.

I got into the habit of regularly using "bloody" at least 15 years ago, either from Brit cop dramas or Harry Potter (is it used in HP?), but started using "brilliant" from HP for sure. Before HP I used brilliant sarcastically, but changed my use to add a positive spin to it post HP.

For some reason my mother always found the word bloody to be very offensive (saw too much during WW II I think) but she picked up the word "bugger" from me, and I had to gently explain that if she found bloody offensive she would definitely find bugger offensive. :lol: She was great, she was. She was apalled, laughed, and tried to stop using it but it was a word she liked to would still use it.

you'll like this then

This seemed to be as good a thread as any in which to insert this question: How big of a scandal is the Jimmy Savile story over there across the pond? Is the fact that he's dead and gone sort of taking it off the radar of the typical Brit? (Link for folks who may not have heard of this:) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/jimmy-savile/9627219/Jimmy-Savile-scandal-BBCs-George-Entwistle-faces-MPs-as-it-happened.html

We're hearing about it over here on NPR and I was curious as to how big a splash it was making there.

This seemed to be as good a thread as any in which to insert this question: How big of a scandal is the Jimmy Savile story over there across the pond? Is the fact that he's dead and gone sort of taking it off the radar of the typical Brit? (Link for folks who may not have heard of this:) http://www.telegraph...t-happened.html...

It's massive. And the scandal keeps getting bigger.

It's horrific because the man was a mainstay of primetime entertainment for so long all of which seems to be tied into the abuse. Now it turns out that coach loads of vulnerable girls were brought in from special schools and the like and taken back stage for some of his shows. So the entire fabric of decades of light entertainment shows was made, potentially, into a vehicle for organised child abuse.

not really a good topic.

It's not clear when it all ended. The man was involved in volunteer work at hospitals and special units. He's been linked to an infamous set of allegations around Haut de la Garenne in Guernsey too. In some of the institutions (apart from the BBC) he was involved with he was given his own office, bedroom, sets of keys etc which obviously starts to raise all kinds of wider issues. The police are working on preparing a case - so clearly there are people still alive who are considered to be potentially criminally culpable.

Archived