Winter Is Coming - Ready or Not

Fragile Bird

Snow is coming tonight, 6-10 inches, nothing compared to you guys up north. But Delmarva is a serious snow panicky area.

I don't want to go shopping but I have almost nothing here, so I'm going out. Also need meds. Snow is supposed to start later this evening. Wish me luck.

"I don't want to go to the store today, but the lord of the map says 'Yay! Yay! Yay! It's gonna snow all day, all day, all day!'"

I've been shoveling off my roof for the last 4 storms and it created huge snow mounds around my house and on my deck. I've never seen so many ice dams. Some people have just let snow pile up 4 feet high on their roofs. Newburyport and Salisbury had big roof collapses this morning so its starting to have an effect.

We got hit with 18 to 20 inches this storm so i spent most of the day snow blowing my drive and walkways. After that was done I spent the rest of the day shoveling giant snow mounds down to workable sizes so i could gradually snow blow out around the house. I've gotten 3/4 of the way around the house so pretty happy with the results. We now have a pile so high I was able to take my snowshoes and tamp down a pretty cool sled luge track for the kids. The pile is about 20 feet high and the track wraps around my backyard. Its pretty awesome. I even made it end right at my shed so the kids have two choices - bail out at the last minute or slam into the shed. It feels like the 1970's again!

Here's a question for those of you who live in snowy regions:

Do your sidewalks get plowed? We live in the historic district of the village and our sidewalks get plowed, but that news seems to astonish everyone I tell.

There are cities in Canada where the municipalities are well organized and have small, riding plows that plow all sidewalks. I think Ottawa and Montreal plow a lot of sidewalks.

Only limited parts of Toronto (downtown) get the sidewalks plowed, which seriously burns the neighbours who used to live in Ottawa. The rest of us have to shovel our own sidewalks.

Great pictures from the Maritimes in this link. There is one picture of a small snow plow lying on it's side. After some fierce blizzards, the temperature warmed up for a day and covered everything in freezing rain, and then the temperatures dropped again, turning all the snow piles into a concrete-like masses. Trying to clear the snow is like trying to clear concrete in many places.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/winter-storm-leaves-maritimes-quebec-in-deep-freeze-1.2958679?cmp=fbtl&utm_content=buffer7500f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Do your sidewalks get plowed? We live in the historic district of the village and our sidewalks get plowed, but that news seems to astonish everyone I tell.

Yes, the sidewalks hereabouts get plowed - usually with extended grader blades or small tractors equipped with snow chucker's - but its not a major priority.

Hasn't been much need for serious snow plowing this year - the snow is so scant the 'Tustamena 200' a qualifying dog sled race for the Iditarod, was first moved and then canceled. The Iditarod itself had to be rerouted because of a lack of snow, and the committee for that race is still gravely concerned about some areas.

After some fierce blizzards, the temperature warmed up for a day and covered everything in freezing rain, and then the temperatures dropped again, turning all the snow piles into a concrete-like masses. Trying to clear the snow is like trying to clear concrete in many places.

That's called a 'chinook' around here. Major pains in the butts. Shovel it while its falling, because if you don't, its there till spring. Heavy, wet glop, too.

Where I live (Bismarck, North Dakota) homeowners and business owners are responsible for their own sidewalks and parking lots. Thus, snow removal can be big business around here.

Same here in Hartford, CT and Albany, NY area. The property owners are responsible for sidewalks in front of their property. We're running out of places to put it though, I've seen some triaxle and bucketloader crews out the last few days.

Its going to vary from municipality to municipality. Some have in their ordinances provisions for snow removal from sidewalks from certain areas. Generally they would be the Central Business District or sidewalks within a certain radius area of schools. But sometimes municipalities will even include in their sidewalk snow removal areas more aesthetically visible areas such as historic districts. Some of the older suburbs around here have such a provision.

In the suburbs the rules are generally that the homeowners and business owners are responsible for clearing their sidewalks. Generally the towns will use small trackers with blower attachments to clear main roads sidewalks that school kids need to use. Its pretty much a hodge podge. Lots of people dont clear their sidewalks because they are either too lazy, physically unable or just don't care.

In the cities it is more of a cluster muckle - the plows plow the snow against the cars. The car owners shovel the snow on the sidewalks to get their cars out and no one bothers to clear the sidewalks. On main roads the business owners are pretty good about clearing walkways. I went running in Cambridge last week and it was kind of comical. Anytime you ran on a sidewalk that was a business it was fine. Then you would run on a city sidewalk and it was 2 inches of slush and shit.

In some parts of Boston they have a tradition of putting out placeholders on the streets for when they clear their cars out. Its was not uncommon a few years ago to see chairs, orange cones, old TV's, saw horses, and a variety of other equipment outside to reserve their spots after they cleared them out. I think the city has cracked down a little but there are always arguments and disagreements about parking spaces in the winter.

just saw that a hiker died last night up in the Northern Presidentials (NH). The temp was -30/-40 with winds over 100 mph. She was hiking solo, looks like she got caught on the ridges between Madison and Adams. She was apparently an experience hiker but that is not a good place to get caught, treeline can be tough to get to and the storms tend to come right over that section. I'm heading up to Mt. Adams in the next few weeks but if the winds are anywhere close to that range I'd like to think i would bail out before going above treeline.

Ottawa and Montreal have plows like this to clear sidewalks. I think we even have them here but they only break them out for the deep snow.

Sunday our maintenance staff busted out the snowblowers for the half inch or so of snow. I think it was for speed, to get out of the freezing winds.

just saw that a hiker died last night up in the Northern Presidentials (NH). The temp was -30/-40 with winds over 100 mph. She was hiking solo, looks like she got caught on the ridges between Madison and Adams. She was apparently an experience hiker but that is not a good place to get caught, treeline can be tough to get to and the storms tend to come right over that section. I'm heading up to Mt. Adams in the next few weeks but if the winds are anywhere close to that range I'd like to think i would bail out before going above treeline.

Damn, that's sad. Yeah there's a lot of exposure there and people always downplay the Whites because they are't over 10,000 ft, but the weather there in the winter is pretty much as nasty as it gets on this planet. I've done some winter stuff down near the Pemi and out towards Waterville Valley but there's very little above the treeline there. I can see how that stretch of the Presidentials could get really bad really fast.

You are exactly right about the relative height of those mountains being deceiving. Even in the summer I've had some crazy situations. We hike all the time in the summer but tend to ski in the winter so not a lot of experience hiking in the winter. Once you are 10 or 15 minutes above treeline you really need to keep your wits about you. A few years ago I was training for the Mount Washington road race so i did a training run up the auto road on Memorial Day. I got to 5500 feet and it was white out blizzard conditions. All I had was a small pack and my running gear. If I had kept going I could have been in big trouble, especially when the switchback turns north again. It came on so fast I could not believe it. It was closest I have come to real danger and that was in late May. Cant imagine being up there last night.

In some parts of Boston they have a tradition of putting out placeholders on the streets for when they clear their cars out. Its was not uncommon a few years ago to see chairs, orange cones, old TV's, saw horses, and a variety of other equipment outside to reserve their spots after they cleared them out. I think the city has cracked down a little but there are always arguments and disagreements about parking spaces in the winter.

This is more than common, I'd say its the norm, even to this day. In fact, as far as I know, the City of Boston Parking regulation specifically state you may use a "space saver" for the duration of a snow emergency +48 hours (etiquette dictates you shovel out the spot yourself, ya fucking jerk) though I'll admit I'm not sure how that's enforced.

Unrelated to parking, here is a photo of the sidewalk on my street:

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/whateveroprah/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb0143594.jpg

Archived