Winter Is Coming - Ready or Not

Fragile Bird

2 inches, tops, here. Good luck to everyone in the real storm - looks like we were in the lightest band in Murderdelphia.

How long you been living there, crazy man?

Looking at various accumulation maps...while my part of Long Island got 8 inches, areas 30 miles east on LI got 20 inches. That's some impressive precipitation banding.

Looking at various accumulation maps...while my part of Long Island got 8 inches, areas 30 miles east on LI got 20 inches. That's some impressive precipitation banding.

damn X-ray i dig it when you use your science speak... :leer:

Power still on here in Newton, Ma. Virtual whiteout conditions, and snow accumulation is hard to judge due to drifting*, but I'd guess around a foot, so far. The wind seems to have died down for the moment, though it was really howling last night and earlier this a.m. Also, I've been hearing distant thunder all morning which, apparently, is exceedingly rare for snow storms, though I can find no reports of any lightning strikes on my weather app.

Ahh! You've encountered the phenomenon known as Thundersnow - otherwise known as Giants Playing with Hula Hoop: http://thumbnail.ymlp.com/jham_Thundersnow.jpg

For a more scientific diagram of this curious meteorological oddity, see this: http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/graphics/photos0506/thundersnow3.jpg

Although we had barely 6" of really light fluffy snow, the husband used the new snow blower. he didn't want the winter to pass without using it :lol:

He did the whole drive*, even the area used only by the neighbors, who came out and not so much as a thank you. (but I reminded him, just because others are assholes is no reason for us to be---I was very happy that he had done their area too---not like it was anything hard to do with the snow blower and the weather being "mild" this morning (mild being no wind and the sun shining))

*we have a really long shared drive in addition to our personal drive

Oh hey! *waves to The Mance from JP*

It certainly hasn't been any kind of catastrophe up here, but they weren't kidding about the snowfall amounts. I'd say there is about 25" on average, though its probably closer to 3 feet on the sidewalks.

I have an aunt and uncle who live out in Marshfield, and they telling me a 100' section of sea wall collapsed and parts of Brant Rock are under like 8" of water, and the tide is still coming in. Yikes.

Definitely not as bad as we anticipated. The NY Daily News had an article about meteorologists apologizing for the hyperbole.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/meteorologists-apologize-northeast-blizzard-forecast-article-1.2093327

Took my daughter and the dog out to play in the snow. Not too bad.

Oh hey! *waves to The Mance from JP*

It certainly hasn't been any kind of catastrophe up here, but they weren't kidding about the snowfall amounts. I'd say there is about 25" on average, though its probably closer to 3 feet on the sidewalks.

I have an aunt and uncle who live out in Marshfield, and they telling me a 100' section of sea wall collapsed and parts of Brant Rock are under like 8" of water, and the tide is still coming in. Yikes.

Yeah i just saw the seawall on the news. The coast seems to be the story right now; still getting lots of sustained high winds, high seas etc. Inland is in much better shape. The low temps and high winds have kept snow from accumulating on tree branches and power lines, etc, which means outages haven't been much of a concern.

I've got some drifts that are close to 3 feet, and all my shrubs and the mailbox have some pretty tall hats, but out in the middle of the yard I'd guess maybe 16-18 inches. Tempted to start on shoveling, but there could still be hours of more snow to come. And with all the wind blowing everything around….I should probably just wait a bit. Plus, you know, jammies. And Kahlua.

Well, hang in there everyone who's experiencing Juno! Almost as unsettling as Juno may be to those in its path is the extremely atypical weather we're having here in Bismarck, North Dakota lately. It's like we've entered bizarro-weather world. While the northeast US, etc. is having a massive winter storm/blizzard the sun is shining, there is virtually no snow on the ground, and it is currently 51 F here! Something here does not compute :stunned:

Be safe everyone and I hope Juno is over soon with as little negative impact to you as possible.

Yeah, the bands seemed way more starkly defined than normal.

I've been here for six months or so, moved into Old City in August. Come say hey if you're in town! I keep meaning to look you guys up when I'm in NYC, but every trip I've made up has been slapdash and poorly planned.

I'm seeing a lot of hard-hitting journalism involving yard sticks.

I feel for the people trapped at JFK and LaGuardia since yesterday. And the sea wall, just wow.

Stay safe and warm!

Here locally, while not slammed with snow, there was a burst watermain in Bladensburg this morning that created a sinkhole that swallowed a car. While a family was inside. They were rescued. CRAZY.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Car-Falls-Into-Sinkhole-in-Maryland-289896011.html

Well, it's not 25", but we're getting hammered (and not in a good way) around Michigan/Ohio.

I know we've got around 15" in my yard right now. My poor dog has to bound through the snow when I take him out for a pee.

Look out, East Coast! :(

Well, here in Alaska, we got part of our normal winter back. As of a couple weeks ago, there wasn't even enough snow to cover the dead grass, and the temperatures frequently hit the low 40's (F). Now we got about six inches of snow and they might not have to cancel or reschedule the dog sled races. But normally the snow would be knee to waist deep this time of year. So....

Who's holding out? Who has Alaska's winter? Look, I get the 'white Christmas' thing. Have we moved into some sort of macho endurance thing? 'Yes, just like Alaskan's we too can tolerate sub zero temperatures and waist deep snow.'

• 2 weeks later...

I know we don't have 18 feet of snow here in the DC area but holy cow, it's cold. And getting colder for tomorrow. It was so windy and freezing last night that it was too dangerous for MC to walk from the train. Everything was arctic ice. Of course the driving was not too awesome either.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/15/d-c-area-forecast-crazy-cold-and-windy-sunday-with-dangerous-wind-chills-snow-possible-monday-night-tuesday/

Archived