Winter Is Coming - Ready or Not

Fragile Bird

This is more than common, I'd say its the norm, even to this day. In fact, as far as I know, the City of Boston Parking regulation specifically state you may use a "space saver" for the duration of a snow emergency +48 hours (etiquette dictates you shovel out the spot yourself, ya fucking jerk) though I'll admit I'm not sure how that's enforced.

Unrelated to parking, here is a photo of the sidewalk on my street:

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/whateveroprah/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb0143594.jpg

I might be crazy, but gods, this is awesome.

Just back in January I was marvelling over the fact that, while it had been cold, there was very little snow.

I think I cursed the city. Maybe all of the East. Well, maybe that's taking on a bit too much responsibility. :)

I start getting concerned when the front of the pile on the lawn is reaching 5 feet high. Throwing snow up and over is hard. The rest of the lawn is 3 to 4 feet deep in snow. I just know that, once again, my lawn will be the last one in the neighbourhood with snow on it in the spring. The people across the street shovel most of their snow onto the street, because there's no parking and the plows will come down and push it aside. They'll get all the afternoon sun and the bit of snow on their lawns will melt away quickly. There's a three storey house across the street from me that blocks a lot of the morning sun (I live on the west side of the street) and then the lawn is in shadow for the afternoon.

Many of my neighbours on my side of the street, the side the cars park on all winter, don't give a shit and also shovel their snow onto the street, screw the people who need street parking. So all winter I end up worrying about the driveway being blocked by folks desperate to park, and take a look at their car and tell themselves, oh sure, there's enough room for that car to get out. They park in front of my house because I haven't dumped three feet of snow in the parking spot. But with the big pile of snow on the other side of the street, the stuff the plows pushed aside, my back-up room is much shorter and I just know one of these days I'm going to clip the corner of a parked car. Well, I've never done it, but you have to be concerned.

This is more than common, I'd say its the norm, even to this day. In fact, as far as I know, the City of Boston Parking regulation specifically state you may use a "space saver" for the duration of a snow emergency +48 hours (etiquette dictates you shovel out the spot yourself, ya fucking jerk) though I'll admit I'm not sure how that's enforced.

Unrelated to parking, here is a photo of the sidewalk on my street:

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/whateveroprah/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb0143594.jpg

I always shake my head at the little one and a half foot wide path that people clear in front of their properties. It's barely wide enough for a person to walk through, never mind two. Is that in Mass? That's some serious snow.

But I came on to celebrate our high of 41F today. Hooray!

ETA:

Oh yeah, property owners are responsible for clearing their portion of the sidewalk.

I always shake my head at the little one and a half foot wide path that people clear in front of their properties. It's barely wide enough for a person to walk through, never mind two. Is that in Mass? That's some serious snow.

But I came on to celebrate our high of 41F today. Hooray!

ETA:

Oh yeah, property owners are responsible for clearing their portion of the sidewalk.

Yeah, Boston actually. I can't really fault residents (especially seeing as I am one of them) for the narrow paths. The sidewalks here are right in the street, so they have to compete with the plows, not to mention the successive beatings -- in terms of massive snowfall-- we took kept eating at the space.

People have been surprisingly good spirited about it though, stepping into houses entrance ways to let others pass. Very civil all around.

-4 when i left for work this morning. When i got to Cambridge it was probably closer to 5 degrees. Good testing ground for my new warm weather gloves. Picked up some Outdoor Research shells and used PL 400 liners. My hands were sweating like crazy so i think I've found a good system for cold weather skiing and hiking.

-22C here. -35C with the windchill. We got about the same amount of precipitation as Boston, but half of ours fell as rain. Then we had a flash freeze. The city is pretty much still encased in ice. Our narrow little street has three foot wide ice banks and the street itself is covered in jagged ice ruts about six inches thick. That shit isn't going anywhere for a while. The worst part is the city still allows people to park on both sides of most streets reducing what was comfortably two lanes with no snow into one precarious lane with both directions trying to drive on the centre line. Fun times in rush hour.

Other parts of Atlantic Canada have the crazy roof-high snow. My friends in PEI and NB have been posting some insane pics on FB. I don't know what's worse: all that snow, or the crazy ass ice. Equal amount of suckage, I think!

Supposed to go up to a balmy 2C for the next couple of days (with more snow, gah) then brutally cold again. Typical sucky February weather. Bluck.

The news this morning was all about the fact that so far this month, we have not had a single day above freezing, something that has never happened before. And it doesn't look like the cold will go away before March. And we have never seen Toronto being colder than Edmonton for this length of time.

My car hit a low of -5 F this morning.

One of the worst things to come out of this cold winter is hearing my conservative co-workers laugh at global warming like this absolutely proves it's a farce.

You need to answer back by saying "the phrase is 'climate change' you idiots, which is being triggered by global warming. 2010 was the hottest decade on record, which has warmed up the oceans and changed the air currents, shifting them around and creating new weather patterns."

Archived