U.S. Politics: Official 2012 Freakout Thread (Mk. I)

Inigima

South Carolina called for Romney on BBC, but technically still Obama in terms of votes counted - excellent moment of awkwardness from BBC presenter given these two facts with no context.

Yes, I noticed in 2008 that they really don't get the whole "projections" thing.

That Indiana Senate result puts a stake through any Republican hopes of getting the Senate.

And the fact that it's all due to hating on women just gives me a beautiful feeling inside.

That Indiana Senate result puts a stake through any Republican hopes of getting the Senate.

The social extremism of some of the tea party supported candidates seems to hurt the GOP in the Senate races, and going by women's vote numbers I have seen elsewhere in the presidential race as well.

South Carolina called for Romney on BBC, but technically still Obama in terms of votes counted - excellent moment of awkwardness from BBC presenter given these two facts with no context.

Yeah I was watching NBC and they had Romney with a check mark but only about 39%. lol

That was quite amusing. I can see how it would be a bit disconcerting to see Obama with 70% of the votes on the screen when Romney has just been announced as the winner, although given how the system works I would have thought the presenter might have been able to work out what was happening.

Some Americans do seem confused by their election system as well, the Huffington Post electoral map someone linked to briefly gave South Carolina to Obama as the victor for about five minutes before it suddenly flipped colour when they realised their mistake.

That was quite amusing. I can see how it would be a bit disconcerting to see Obama with 70% of the votes on the screen when Romney has just been announced as the winner, although given how the system works I would have thought the presenter might have been able to work out what was happening.

Some Americans do seem confused by their election system as well, the Huffington Post electoral map someone linked to briefly gave South Carolina to Obama as the victor for about five minutes before it suddenly flipped colour when they realised their mistake.

Right now on Yahoo/ABC in SC Obama is shown to have 29k votes vs Romney with 23k votes, Romney is projected as winner. WTF?

Right now on Yahoo/ABC in SC Obama is shown to have 29k votes vs Romney with 23k votes, Romney is projected as winner. WTF?

That probably depends on the historical voting patterns in the districts that have already reported as well as exit polls. Not so strange.

I think they're basing the projection primarily on the exit poll result for SC. The BBC did show it, I think it showed Romney with an estimated lead of 6 or 7%.

In some ways I prefer the British election night approach of waiting until the votes are counted, although I can see the disadvantage in America since it would take a long time for any results to appear.

Archived