U.S. Politics: Official 2012 Freakout Thread (Mk. I)

Inigima

People, babysitting the individual numbers as the results come in is pretty much meaningless. A lead with 20% of the vote in may mean something or it may not. The relevant data comes in how well the reported results correspond to the polling data from those precincts, which is a bit more complex than you can view just from a number of votes and a % of precincts reporting.

That's how you get situations where SC is called for Romney even with Obama doubling him in the counted votes. They're smart enough to know that those votes came from the 1 blue county in the state (for example) and that that is meaningless WRT the statistical impossibility of Obama carrying the state.

Relax, peeps. Too much information is just as bad as not enough.

Yes, you have driven me to use the word "peeps."

Slick == what the hell are you doing awake?

Datepalm, too. you all is crazy.

I know that I physically can't go to bed. I'm sick and I know the boy will be up in a few hours and I still can't drag myself away from CNN and BBC.

N

I'm totally geeking out here and having a blast.

And yeah, i've got a paper to hand in tommorow i've barely touched, a bunch of urgent stuff at work and i'm behind on Nano. OTOH, I can sleep in if I get some of it done now.

People, babysitting the individual numbers as the results come in is pretty much meaningless.

Just a heads up: you are offering this advice to people who congregate to discuss hypotheticals about fictional characters. And that's just in this thread.

Watching the election. I took tomorrow off work specially for this.

I love elections. I'm a nerd.

I'm not quite enough of a nerd to specifically take a day off but I did swap one of my days off with someone so I could watch the coloured maps.

I need to get out more.

People, babysitting the individual numbers as the results come in is pretty much meaningless. A lead with 20% of the vote in may mean something or it may not. The relevant data comes in how well the reported results correspond to the polling data from those precincts, which is a bit more complex than you can view just from a number of votes and a % of precincts reporting.

That's how you get situations where SC is called for Romney even with Obama doubling him in the counted votes. They're smart enough to know that those votes came from the 1 blue county in the state (for example) and that that is meaningless WRT the statistical impossibility of Obama carrying the state.

Relax, peeps. Too much information is just as bad as not enough.

Yes, you have driven me to use the word "peeps."

Too much of a good thing being bad? You are 120% wrong. Vive l'election!

Obama up in FL with 0% out of Miami-Dade. He's got a good shot to win. 60% of the vote is in in FL. Closing in on crunch time.

The BBC pundit was claiming he'd heard from Miami that Obama's vote there was up compared to 2008, which would be a good sign if it turns out to be accurate.

Having frequented the board for a long time, I can tell you that "too much information" is what has kept this place alive for the last 10 years.

:love:

And lots of :grouphug: to DP, Slick and Silanah and all of the other people still awake. I was out of the country for one US POTUS election and I don't remember much of it. i had sent my absentee ballot in weeks prior and all that was left was the drinking. And then, after the shitshow (this was the 2000 election), more drinking.

One of our leading news websites just posted this:

The current electoral college vote (you need 270 to win) is:

Obama: 65 (Vermont 3, Illinois 20, Connecticut 7, Delaware 3, Massachusetts 11, Rhode Island 4, Maine 4, Maryland 10, District of Columbia 3)

Romney: 56 (Kentucky 8, West Virginia 5, South Carolina 9, Oklahoma 7, Tennessee 11, Georgia 16)

Does this accord with what you guys are seeing up there?

Archived