Texas, er, US Politics

Datepalm

Goin' Galt: The Freeper advice thread. http://www.freerepub...s/2956311/posts

:rofl: :rofl:

But there is a silver lining!

Just my opinion, but I believe America is a hinderance to end times prophesy, we are a stabilizing force protecting Israel from an end time that revolves around them. BO will make us irrelevant, thus allow the final battle to occur.

Just my opinion, but I believe America is a hinderance to end times prophesy, we are a stabilizing force protecting Israel from an end time that revolves around them. BO will make us irrelevant, thus allow the final battle to occur.

I like the mentality that God has set certain events to happen but we can delay these events with our actions.

I love that these people are withdrawing from society and public life. Ideally many other card carrying GOP members will follow suit.

disingenuous, that last. the basic fundy only likes israel because of its role in "end times," during which period israel and its inhabitants will be destroyed, but only after the temple is rebuilt.

so: temple rebuilt-->jesus comes back. w00t!

Apparently we slept through armageddon http://www.amazon.com/We-Slept-Through-Armageddon-ebook/dp/B00929AMRG

I'm pretty sure that if they really want to imitate John Galt the first thing they all need to do is stop praying and talking about God's will.

That God character is nothing but a collectivist. He has a whole book about it! Pretty good seller, too.

Australia

Actually, I already have my ticket. Unfortunately my visa is only good for 3 months.

I wish this guy had a blog or something I could follow, because it appears he's undertaking a doomed attempt to try and relocate to a significantly more liberal country on a tourist visa, under the goal of "Going Galt".

That God character is nothing but a collectivist. He has a whole book about it! Pretty good seller, too.

He seemed an awful lot like a Republican in the Old Testament. He was fine telling Eve what to do with her body, only cared about the 1% (Noah and family), and had an absurd fascination with Israel for starters.

He seemed an awful lot like a Republican in the Old Testament. He was fine telling Eve what to do with her body, only cared about the 1% (Noah and family), and had an absurd fascination with Israel for starters.

Yes, that, and then there's the whole "eye for an eye" thing. God also seemed much much more hawkish in the Old Testament.

Yes, that, and then there's the whole "eye for an eye" thing.

Meh, most everyone reads that wrong. An eye for an eye is the upper limit.

At the time blood vengeance and disproportional violence was the norm. (Hey, it's a rational strategy in a primitive society.)

Proportionality was actually a big step towards the rule of law and civilization in general.

Even the OT god had a progressive streak a mile wide.

Practically a commie.

That contract is called "The US electorate".

Blind support of Israel is not up for debate in US foreign policy because the voting public will not support any alternative. It's in the same category as "tough on crime".

It's not about inept policy makers, it's about the political realities in the USA. And democracy in general. ("Will of the People" can fuck ya sometimes).

Now that Obama doesn't have to worry about re-election â„¢ what's to stop him from treating Israel more rationally?

As for the militarization you say is occurring there's plenty of other explanations. It's not like Obama has been shy about the whole "blow terrorists the fuck up" plan, and plenty of that occurs in the gulf. With the support of local governments even.

This is done through the drone program, not conventional military forces typically. The only reason for the large US naval presence in the Gulf is for the US to wave its dick at Iran.

In twenty years, Texas will lean Democratic due to demographics. The Republicans are chronically screwed in the long run.

"Chronically screwed"?

In twenty years the socially deeply conservative Latino Republican candidate for the POTUS will blithely deny that the GOP ever held an anti-immigration stance in it entire history of existence.

One more election like this, and the anti-immigration issue is dead, simple as that.

"Chronically screwed"?

In twenty years the socially deeply conservative Latino Republican candidate for the POTUS will blithely deny that the GOP ever held an anti-immigration stance in it entire history of existence.

One more election like this, and the anti-immigration issue is dead, simple as that.

Not sure how the Republicans can turn their back on the post-Southern Strategy racism they've endorsed and promoted for so long: it's become part of their party's DNA (they've long since driven out the old Rockefeller Republicans). If they tried, you'd see a George Wallace-style third party, which would gut the Republican vote in the South.

Now that Obama doesn't have to worry about re-election â„¢ what's to stop him from treating Israel more rationally?

Uh, the fact that he doesn't want to destroy his party or their chances in 2014, 2016?

Shit, the fact that he doesn't want an internal revolt from within his own party?

Blind support of Israel is basically written into the DNA of the US political system.

This is done through the drone program, not conventional military forces typically. The only reason for the large US naval presence in the Gulf is for the US to wave its dick at Iran.

\\

Or the alternate reason which is to secure US interests and assets in the area. You act like the US wasn't in the area before Iraq War pt 2.

Not sure how the Republicans can turn their back on the post-Southern Strategy racism they've endorsed and promoted for so long: it's become part of their party's DNA (they've long since driven out the old Rockefeller Republicans).

I don't know, the Democrats appear to have managed it quite fine.

Give it a couple of decades and conservative Latino's might be riling up the conservative base about those illegal immigrants sneaking across the border from Canada, and not having to earn their citizen status the way the it took the hard working Latino community decades to. Unless the whole system breaks pretty fundamentally, the two parties are going to keep shifting very precisely around whatever issues are at the shared center of gravity of 51% of the vote. When immigration or gay rights go fully mainstream, they'll find some new angle to polarize people. Worry not.

Or the alternate reason which is to secure US interests and assets in the area. You act like the US wasn't in the area before Iraq War pt 2.

Certainly it was, primarily because of Iraq and Iran, it's just the the numbers have increased even further in recent years as the media ratchets up against Iran a la the precursor to the Iraq invasion. What "interests and assets" do we need the military to procure in the Gulf? We have strong alliances with the oil-producing gulf states. The reason there are such large numbers of US troops there is because of Iran. Ever since 1976, there's always been the perceived threat of Iran bombing Gulf refineries but it'd be an incredibly stupid, unlikely act on Iran's part regardless of the amount of US military presence there, so again, this is flawed Cold War era logic. This is the only way I can see the military installments in the Gulf "securing US interests and assets in the area" (which is really just a military-industrial complex/foreign policy platitude that is quite meaningless as people rarely specify what they're securing exactly). Again, it's bad strategy for peace-keeping purposes and I'm sure the powers that be are well aware of this so claiming that Obama or the national securing establishment is trying as hard as possible to keep the peace is disingenuous. They may not be war-hawks (we'll see) but they're certainly not taking the optimal measures to secure a peaceful solution.

Uh, the fact that he doesn't want to destroy his party or their chances in 2014, 2016?

Shit, the fact that he doesn't want an internal revolt from within his own party?

Sorry, I should have specified that this was more of a rhetorical question meant to get at the fact that an argument many people had for electing Obama again was that he'd actually be able to be the 08 campaign version of himself after the election -- which, given the historical precedent set by any president's second term, is a foolish notion as it never happens. I was trying to make the point that these things change very little from administration to administration -- Republican or Democrat. Of course, if he really wanted to be a true leader, he always has the option of establishing a rational, moral, cost-effective foreign policy that is equitable between Israel and Palestine, thereby taking the Democrats down (this would actually be optimal as it would open the door for genuinely liberal parties to fill the void).

ETA: This is also assuming that going against AIPAC would make the Democrats inoperable and destroy them, which I have my doubts about.

Love the guy who says he's tried to get his family to watch Dr. Zhivago for years. Not only are they racist, worse still, they're nie kulturny

ETA: Last night at dinner my friends were laughing about this picture. I don't remember it being previously posted, but if it was, it's funny enough for a repeat.

well all i can say about this is...if there is a god then perhaps he will inspire all of those crazies enraged citizens to retreat into their caves, with 6 months of dehydrated food and all the ammo they can carry, leaving the rest of us to interact freely and without fear that they will be alive come spring...

...and I especially liked the poster who was bragging about being off the grid, while he was mooching free internet and cell phone from family and neighbors...when I was growing up we called that 'being a bum' :smoking:

Archived