Banshee

Fragile Bird

Sad news.  Sepinwall is reporting that the creators planned for this to be the final season. I'm looking forward to 8 amazing episodes.

This makes more sense than cancellation. Like they say, it's their highest rated show.

I find it enjoyable fare if only for the insane amount of testosterone flowing through absolutely everyone present (male and female). They are all walking CHuck Norris regardless of their frame, with what has to be the same mutation Wolverine has. At the same time I also felt during season 3 that it was becoming a bit of a joke how much crime revolves around this small town. Season 4 seems to be heading in the direction of telling us more about how the lead character became a killing machine and it looks as if it will go back in the direction of sorting out the old romance. 10 episodes may have been more reassuring for them to get everything tied up but I'm cool with it ending on (hopefully) a high.

Meh, the last half of season three was disappointing. They should never have fridged Siobhan and wasted Chayton Littlestone. Luckily we can still look forward to the Knick :)

Meh, the last half of season three was disappointing. They should never have fridged Siobhan and wasted Chayton Littlestone. Luckily we can still look forward to the Knick :)

Never watched the knick. is that the hospital one? Is there as much testosterone? I got the impression they were very different shows?

Never watched the knick. is that the hospital one? Is there as much testosterone? I got the impression they were very different shows?

They're totally different, but they are the two best reasons to have a Cinemax subscription. The Knick is a weighty period drama set in an NY hospital.  It's great, terrific performances from Clive Owen and Andre Holland.

It is. The show has nowhere near the amount of testosterone Banshee has. They are. :P

Basically JB 24 and Kindly Old Man already told you everything you need to know about it :)

Pfft. I think every single episode of Banshee has been fucking awesome. Big, BIG fan of the show. Sad that season 4 is its last season but glad it's going to likely have 4 strong seasons of solid, awesome, kick ass television to fondly remember. 

Pfft. I think every single episode of Banshee has been fucking awesome. Big, BIG fan of the show. Sad that season 4 is its last season but glad it's going to likely have 4 strong seasons of solid, awesome, kick ass television to fondly remember. 

Completely agree. I've honestly never been dissapointed with one single episode of Banshee. It's totally selling it short to say it's all about the fights. The characters are pretty great too.

Banshee was a fun binge watch but that's really all the show is just pure fun and badasdness. Couldn't get into the Knick which is surprising cause I like Soderbergh a good deal but the pilot was pretty cliche.

Banshee was a fun binge watch but that's really all the show is just pure fun and badasdness. Couldn't get into the Knick which is surprising cause I like Soderbergh a good deal but the pilot was pretty cliche.

The rest of the season wasn't though :p I hope you watched beyond the first episode :p

Banshee was a fun binge watch but that's really all the show is just pure fun and badasdness.

Completely agree. I've honestly never been dissapointed with one single episode of Banshee. It's totally selling it short to say it's all about the fights. The characters are pretty great too.

I'm more with Mark on this one. It's all about the badass-ness but it's incredibly consistent in that and honestly there's nothing wrong with it being great at that. The characters are all functional but I do find the "long lost love" element silly (they thankfully moved on from that in season 3). They all feel a bit iconic in that they are juggernauts who won't be swayed much from what their template is. But again that adds to the awesomeness for me.

It reminds me a lot of Spartacus while being far more consistent.

I'll be checking out what the showrunners do next. I should probably check some of the directors too as there have been episodes that are very cinematic with some clever tricks thrown in.

I'm more with Mark on this one. It's all about the badass-ness but it's incredibly consistent in that and honestly there's nothing wrong with it being great at that. The characters are all functional but I do find the "long lost love" element silly (they thankfully moved on from that in season 3). in.

I'm willing to bet that this series ends with Hood reunited with whatever the name of his love interest and the annoying teenage daughter. Siobhan and that pesky Gordon are both gone and the search for Job, with the added certainty that we'll learn more about Hood's origins will lead to a nice happy ending :ack:

It reminds me a lot of Spartacus while being far more consistent.

Spartacus beats this show on pretty much every level.

I'm willing to bet that this series ends with Hood reunited with whatever the name of his love interest and the annoying teenage daughter. Siobhan and that pesky Gordon are both gone and the search for Job, with the added certainty that we'll learn more about Hood's origins will lead to a nice happy ending :ack:

Spartacus beats this show on pretty much every level.

The fight scenes in Banshee are better and they are generally more inventive behind the camera. Spartacus wins in terms of characters and storytelling though

I've been wanting to try Spartacus but I've heard so many mixed things about it.

You will probably hear mixed opinions even from one person. I still maintain it has one of the worst pilots I've ever seen. It was only after serious contemplation and faith in this boards opinions that I went back and tried. It's excellent from episode 6 onwards with great twists and turns. Thanks to the zany stylised dialogue and general behaviour of the Romans it never takes itself too seriously. The sex and violence is on par with Banshee too.

There are times where the story drags a bit and it sometimes stumbles from loss of great antagonists but it keeps things fresh. Less consistent than Banshee but when it's good it totally surpasses it.

Back to Veltigar.

I also dread a "happy ever after" style ending. I really hope they do something a bit less predictable with it though. I generally dislike shows where old flames seem to be able to rekindle a romance after 10+ years as it suggests there has been zero character development for them in between. But maybe I'm just not enough of a romantic to "get" it. [spoiler] I also think the husband dying is a major cop-out. Just once I'd like to see a show where the protagonist gets the girl/guy back and utterly ruins the 3rd person's life without any get-out clauses of "the partner was evil/cheating anyhow or conveniently dies". Same goes for Siobhan's death where they tried to make it momentous but I never got the impression there was anything genuine between Hood and her (although she may have had stronger feelings for him) and I'm pretty sure that's what they had established during season 2? But it did get around the whole "does she blow his cover" problem. [/spoiler]

Too bad. I've really enjoyed Banshee. It's over the top and doesn't pretend to be anything but. I always got a chuckle out of their "In Memoriams" after the death of characters. Kai Proctor is one of my favorite antagonists.

Archived