Football 38- Fútbol, Futebol, Fußball, Soccer, Calcio, كرة القدم, футбол, サッカー, &...

Horus Ex Machina

Come on Milan!!, foul the fuck out of the little hobbit, who cares just get him off the pitch, please,please let Barca go out!!.

And it didn't happen, just like I was telling my colleague today. Damn I really should have put my bet my bet down on this one, I felt strongly that they'd pull it off but ultimately didn't go for it, thinking that "these are Italians, surely they won't condeed that many". Should have gone with my instinct ( how many times have I told myself that already, I wonder).

That said, if Niang had scored from his massive chance, I think the game could have gone Milan's way. But who knows, in that case Barca's attack might not have stopped at 3-0 up but just gone on. They owned Milan, and advance deserving it.

So this puts all the big boys in the quarter finals. It'll be between Madrid, Barca, Juve and Bayern, obviously.

I want Madrid to do it, I would be perfectly happy if Bayern won, it's not like they arn't deserving, really don't want Barca to win and I can't see Juve beating the other 3, which is good because I hate seeing Juve win anything and don't want them having the smugness of a double.

Condolences to Milan though, really wanted them to go through.

So this puts all the big boys in the quarter finals. It'll be between Madrid, Barca, Juve and Bayern, obviously.

I wouldn't write Dortmund off, I'm fairly sure they're better than Juve and they've done Madrid already this year. They'd need someone to but Bayern out though since, as a team designed specifically to stop them, they've absolutely got their number right this second.

Dortmund v Barca if it happened could go either way. They're not going to change their game or go defensive at all, so if they can't deal with the pressing they'll be stifled and could get embarrassed, but if the passing is fast enough that it bypasses the pressing, Barca could get a spanking like we've not seen before. We've seen them previously get unsettled when Arsenal got into their groove - they won the tie in the end, of course, but Dortmund are somewhat better than Arsenal.

I hope Barca get a German team next, anyway. Either match would be something to see (presuming Bayern get through, of course).

What about the return leg of the Europa League later in the week for Inter vs Spurs,I'm predicting a 1-1 draw for that.

Personally I just want this dismal season to end.

I feel your pain. It was pretty dismal for Milan too until they got Balo. I always new they didn't have the debth to win the CL, but after the first leg there seemed to be hope. Maybe if Pazzo wasn't hurt we could ahev put one in the net.. Oh well. Next year we'll have Super Mario in the competition (assuming they can hold onto third which I think they can). We need to sure up the midfield and defense a bit.

As for Inter, they were never going to waste resources on the Europa League. They have to concentrate domestically. Barring some big investments by Moratti we may see the Inter of the 90's back. He seemed to stop investing once he got his treble.

As much as I don't want to, I have to root for Juve now. I'll root for Gigi. Forza Buffon! If any player on the planet deserves a CL trophy it's him.

OMG Seattle comes from 0-2 aggregate to become the first MLS club to eliminate a Mexican club from the CONCACAF Champions League. Finally!! Three incredible strikes. Now we can have 3 of 4 semifinalists from MLS this season. Wow. The Mexican dominance at the club level may be ending at last.

Holy shit did they seriously? I was sure they were out. Well done Sounders. We might be competitors in the league but I'd love to see an MLS side go all the way.

I hope that Jurgen Klinsmann was watching this game bc this kid has AMAZING skill.

So after going down 0-1 and 0-2 on aggregate they came all the way back in the second half against what was probably the best club in Mexico at the moment. They underestimated Seattle tonight.

Are the Qataris about to hilariously torpedo Platini's Financial Fair Play malarkey? And coming so soon after he tried to tell them to stage their world cup in the winter...hmmm...

The Qatar royal family plans to offer the biggest clubs in the world £175million each to join global football league, according to a report in The Times.

The paper reports that the 'Dream Football League' will take place every two years (starting in 2015) in Qatar and 'neighbouring Gulf states', and will guarantee elite clubs the prize money, just for competing.

The league would have 16 permanent members (including four from England), with another eight 'competing on an invitational basis.'

According to The Times: 'The project is being driven from Doha and Paris after the recent takeover of Paris Saint-Germain by Qatar Sports Investment (QSI).

'Qatar is eager to win the full support of the increasingly influential European Club Association (ECA), which is involved in a continuing power struggle with Uefa and Fifa, but the recent ECA general assembly, held in Doha, featured a stern warning from Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, the chairman, to PSG about the French club's aggressive attempts to win power and influence among the game's elite.'

Each competition would be held in the summer, in 'off' years when there is no European Championship or World Cup. This is partly to display that Qatar can host a global world event, ahead of the World Cup in 2022, despite plans to host that tournament in the winter in order to avoid 40C-plus temperatures.

By way of comparison, Chelsea were awarded £47.3million for winning the Champions League last season - part of a total prize money pot of £595million. The DFL would hand out £4.2billion to the 24 sides just for taking part.

How much fucking money?!? Jesus.

What about the return leg of the Europa League later in the week for Inter vs Spurs,I'm predicting a 1-1 draw for that.

Personally I just want this dismal season to end.

And yet it wont for a while longer, not until Inter are in 6/7th place. As far as Inter goes, I just hope they don't fire Strama before the coppa game.

OMG Seattle comes from 0-2 aggregate to become the first MLS club to eliminate a Mexican club from the CONCACAF Champions League. Finally!! Three incredible strikes. Now we can have 3 of 4 semifinalists from MLS this season. Wow. The Mexican dominance at the club level may be ending at last.

Omg, great! I checked the score last night, saw they were 0-2 down, and thought: well, that's that I suppose. GO SOUNDERS

I want Juve/Barca in the next round.

Bayern/DROGBA would be nice to see, and he needs to play them next round as I don't see Galatasaray getting through against anyone else.

PSG/Madrid

And Dortmund/Malaga or Porto, I guess since I want Dortmund to go through.

Also Messi's second looked offside, so Barca were somewhat fortunate in that respect. (I didn't see a replay so can't confirm if it was, well I only caught it on the replay as I was getting a drink)

Yeah, pretty much expecting Bayern to win by a goal or two tonight. Don't think Arsenal have a chance. Would be nice to see them score early to make a game of it but I think it's more likely to be embarassing than that.

Archived