Football 38- Fútbol, Futebol, Fußball, Soccer, Calcio, كرة القدم, футбол, サッカー, &...

Horus Ex Machina

I wonder if Rodgers would opt to have Lucas man-mark Bale.

Would Lucas be physically up to that?

Anyway concentrating on Bale does work to a point and at the moment, it's the best way of coping with them but it does let Lennon lose something major, and while his final product is rotten when he's given that much room it gets dangerous for the opposition.

Especially if Holtby and Dembele are on the pitch, coz that opens up all sorts of room. Seriously, a new striker and a slightly more efficient winger and, if Bale stays, Spurs will be a major force.

DC win! 1-0 over RSL, off a gorgeous diving header from Pajoy on a ball deflected by Nick Rimando, one of Pajoy's rare moments of brilliance. Encouraged by the 15 minutes or so I saw Ruiz as well. Glad to have won our home opener.

DC win! 1-0 over RSL, off a gorgeous diving header from Pajoy on a ball deflected by Nick Rimando, one of Pajoy's rare moments of brilliance. Encouraged by the 15 minutes or so I saw Ruiz as well. Glad to have won our home opener.

They looked solid tonight. They got a bit of luck with that rebound to Pajoy. RSL's defenders aren't usually that lazy. Then again,those aren't exactly the usual RSL defenders.

Ini, I thought of you when I came across this.

http://espnfc.com/bl.../id/728?cc=5901

Can you call yourself a U.S. soccer fan if you don't support MLS? And why is it important? Can the two be mutually exclusive? If so, is that bad? Or do they need to be intertwined, in order to build a bigger base of support?

I cannot imagine this question being posed in Europe or South America. But does it happen where people have a nationalistic fandom without supporting a pro league/team or vice versa?

Ini, I thought of you when I came across this.

http://espnfc.com/bl.../id/728?cc=5901

Can you call yourself a U.S. soccer fan if you don't support MLS? And why is it important? Can the two be mutually exclusive? If so, is that bad? Or do they need to be intertwined, in order to build a bigger base of support?

I cannot imagine this question being posed in Europe or South America. But does it happen where people have a nationalistic fandom without supporting a pro league/team or vice versa?

I don't like to throw around the word Eurosnob, but if an American claims support the USMNT and doesn't support or ridicules MLS then they're a hypocrite. Our national team's improvement is directly tied to MLS since, without a national league, most of our young players didn't have a place to launch their careers from back before the 90's..

BTW, all those Italians playing in Montreal look really really sharp right now. Marco Schallibaum is the real deal. Who says a European can't coach in this league? :dunno:

I think the must-support-an-MLS-team position is bullshit. If you don't roughly know the shape of the league and a few of the relevant players, that's finenot a great sign... but for me, for example - soccer is distinctly my third sport, and Chelsea my third team. Baseball's my fourth or fifth sport, and even there, I have a defined allegiance (the Blue Jays). I don't have the time to pick up another team, especially considering there is no ease in terms of available media coverage and broadcast matches. I don't think that makes me not a fan of the sport.

ETA: Original drunk post was supposed to say "that's not a great sign", not "that's fine".

I don't like to think it means you "can't be a fan of the sport," but I do see a lot of snobbery and I think it isn't always about the soccer on display. Too often it's just a desire to feel superior, to trash the US, or other not-very-laudable reasons.

Also, MLS isn't the only professional soccer league in the US. If you're a staunch supporter of a NASL side, and don't pay attention to MLS, how can that mean you "aren't a soccer fan"?

I have a friend who knows a fair bit about MLS and doesn't like it, and wrote up why recently. I may as well link it here: http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/a-gentlemans-game-played-by-hooligans.279/page-17#post-503561

I agree with him about some of it but I support the league anyway because I support domestic soccer. I think any true soccer fan should want American soccer leagues to succeed, but I can't blame them if they don't think MLS is doing it right. That said, I don't think everyone who bashes MLS is a soccer fan who wants American soccer to succeed. Some of them want something to be elitist about and nothing more. Those people aren't soccer fans. They're fans of feeling superior.

I don't like to think it means you "can't be a fan of the sport," but I do see a lot of snobbery and I think it isn't always about the soccer on display. Too often it's just a desire to feel superior, to trash the US, or other not-very-laudable reasons.

Also, MLS isn't the only professional soccer league in the US. If you're a staunch supporter of a NASL side, and don't pay attention to MLS, how can that mean you "aren't a soccer fan"?

I have a friend who knows a fair bit about MLS and doesn't like it, and wrote up why recently. I may as well link it here: http://brokenforum.c...-17#post-503561

I agree with him about some of it but I support the league anyway because I support domestic soccer. I think any true soccer fan should want American soccer leagues to succeed, but I can't blame them if they don't think MLS is doing it right. That said, I don't think everyone who bashes MLS is a soccer fan who wants American soccer to succeed. Some of them want something to be elitist about and nothing more. Those people aren't soccer fans. They're fans of feeling superior.

i am a fan of the mls albeit a reluctant one. i was onboard with it in it's infancy in 1993. the quality was abhorrent. the early days left the sport almost completely unwatchable from the point of view of one who was used to watching 'the beautiful game' played at a very high level. it has gotten a lot better.

i have been a fan of the portland timbers since their days in the apsl, a league and the usl. and most of my love for the club was because of the fan experience and not for their dazzling play. they really are all that has me tied to the mls. otherwise it would just not be something that i care too much about. there is simply too much football out there. the european seasons are long. there are international tournaments. the mls for me was typically a last resort for my soccer fix.

as mentioned above the game itself has improved dramatically. one thing that has helped is the incredible influx of foreign players. the designated player rules have been key in drawing in big names and sometimes even big talent.

i have forced myself to be more into the mls. it needs american support. i am not helping grow the love of soccer in the united states by not supporting our local league.

i have american friends who still cannot watch the mls. i cannot blame them. it is all about personal preferences. it is not about a feeling of superiority.

how much the mls has contributed to the usmnt is without question. now, you have a place for these college level players to continue playing and developing. the really good ones now can far more easily be seen by european teams and hopefully get signed. those are the guys you want on your national team. i am happy as can be if the mls is nothing more than a european league tryout for american players. that is how the usmnt will really come into its own. our best must play against the best. think of how good landon donovan may have been had he actually played in europe instead of getting upset about being a bench player in germany so many years ago?

a well deserved win for the magpies.

cisse just looked so casual taking that shot. i see another five or six in him before the end of the season.

the midfield looked great the entire game. my problem was gouffran. he is very fast but just gives the ball up far too easily.

now a win on thursday against anzhi to advance in the europa.

What's the deal with the dangerous passes this weekend? Neville gave Wigan a goal yesterday by playing ... through on goal (our goal), and today Walker and then Defoe does the same.. Are footballers more stupid these days? Do they need a map pointing to the right goal, and a visual chart somewhere identifying the team colours?

Colour me confused

Archived