Outlander (Tv show)

AncalagonTheBlack

I'm fine with the slow pace, but only because I know what happens. The book is like 200 pages, so stringing it out for a whole season is going to make it seem REALLY slow. Also, unlike many other series, it's the Clair show, so you only get 1 PoV and yes it gets boring.

What? Mine is over 700 :stunned:

I'm fine with the slow pace, but only because I know what happens. The book is like 200 pages, so stringing it out for a whole season is going to make it seem REALLY slow. Also, unlike many other series, it's the Clair show, so you only get 1 PoV and yes it gets boring.

Yeah, I definitely think a different POV would help give the illusion of faster movement.

I really liked the third episode.

I couldn't get less interested in the real plot of the show, so I didn't care at all about the first two episodes.

But now I start to see a really nice (at least from my point of view of a complete stranger) reconstruction of a Scottish village of the 18th century, and this hooked me up. I'll watch the show just for that in the future, without any expectation.

I agree about the priest being very one dimensional, but having seen the preview for the next episode I think its going to be a good indicator on where the show will be going and how good it'll be.

Having said that, I like the character of Claire and the actress playing her so much that I'll give it the rest of the season before I really decide how much I like Outlander.

I just re-read Outlander and have the BOOK OBJECT with covers and printed pages right here. The novel is 850 pages long, not 200. It covers barely a year in the mutual lives of Jamie and Claire, though there are many flashbacks to their lives before they meet.

Interesting that people are saying the third episode has felt the weakest of the three so far. This is the episode in which was inserted a plot line that wasn't in the book and changed content.

You'd think writers and directors would have learned by now, starting with the debacles of Jackson's silly changes for no reason in LotR in characters and relationships and what happens.

I am not saying by any means that everything in a book should be included in a visual dramatization: in fact there's a lot of words in the Outlander novel that can well be done without. But putting in stuff that wasn't there, that is blatantly not part of the plots and storylines, and changing characters -- no!

I had a feeling the Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman-style bit with the poisoned kid was an insertion. It's too TV.

But what character(s) are being changed in the third episode, and how are they changing?

^ Exactly what I wanted to know. And were there new scenes other than that plot?

Well, they are definitely making Frank much more likable. I'm not saying he was unlikable in the books, at this point in the story. But, at least for me, he was neither here nor there and I was quickly persuaded that Claire shouldn't even have a question in her mind to stay in the past with Jaime. They have made him softer around the edges and more romantic than I remember him being, I guess to beef up Claire's eventual conflict - whether to stay or go.

Well, they are definitely making Frank much more likable. I'm not saying he was unlikable in the books, at this point in the story. But, at least for me, he was neither here nor there and I was quickly persuaded that Claire shouldn't even have a question in her mind to stay in the past with Jaime. They have made him softer around the edges and more romantic than I remember him being, I guess to beef up Claire's eventual conflict - whether to stay or go.

hmm.. I didn't think of that. Good point.

Did they change the dynamic between Claire and Jamie, too? I don't remember them being so familiar with each other this early in the story. My impression was that they didn't really start to get know each other until the wedding

hmm.. I didn't think of that. Good point.

Did they change the dynamic between Claire and Jamie, too? I don't remember them being so familiar with each other this early in the story. My impression was that they didn't really start to get know each other until the wedding

They spent quite a bit of time together before they got married.

In the novels Frank is a very good guy. This is all and part of the appeal of this novel for this particular reader, who grew up without team etc. -- this is fantastic. A very real woman, with many gifts and talents, who is attractive to and attracted to more than one guy. More than one thing going on at once. This is GREAT! Claire is special, but she suffers, especially in the serious connection between Claire and Jamie, and his -- let's face it, looking at the art of the era, etc. Jamie like saints' torture, suffering to keep them togerher -- and somehow, Claire and Jamie do keep together, despite time and the English.

I can't imagine that people felt this was the weakest episode so far. I'd say it's with a large margin the strongest, even if their was that cliched part about the poisoned boy. It felt much more intimate and none of the voice-overs felt out of place this time.

I can't imagine that people felt this was the weakest episode so far. I'd say it's with a large margin the strongest, even if their was that cliched part about the poisoned boy. It felt much more intimate and none of the voice-overs felt out of place this time.

I liked it, but reading a lot of reviews it seems like the voice overs aren't going over well with majority of the viewers.

I liked it, but reading a lot of reviews it seems like the voice overs aren't going over well with majority of the viewers.

To me it's just cheesy. It puts me in mind of "The Wonder Years" and I can't get used to it.

They were pretty horrible in the first and second episode. Three was imo alright though, eventhough I'm not a fan of voice-overs.

Sorry, I thought the book was much shorter (least it felt that way). Paperback has over 600 pages. I kinda forgot where book 1 ends and 2 begins.

Still, the Clair only viewpoint makes it tougher to have action all the time. Hopefully next episode they will move past Dr Quinn Medicine Woman.

Archived