Superman and Batman

Batman

I'm picturing someone like Vince Vaughn playing Batman complete with spandex and a bit of a belly like Adam West. If you took the straight humor route, could you make a good/fun Batman movie? Would it be commercially successful?

As has been said it's called Batman and Robin. And yes it was commercially successful. It also almost ruined the franchise.

This is the one aspect of Shield I'm really interested in. I'm not certain how much well actually see movie characters beyond Maria Hill (eventually) and Colston...

samuel L Jackson said he thinks he should do a cameo. He probably thinks he should be paid as well which is the only reason I can't see them letting him cameo. Same goes for Hiddleston playing Loki. I guess friends had a lot of A list actors turn up so if SHIELD is successful enough we may get to see some of the large screen characters appear.

I think it's possible to have a more light-hearted Batman without going BAtman and Robin or the 6os tv show, What would be curious is if in the movies Superman is the dark moody one and Batman is comparatively more light hearted.

No. No return to campy Batman. No one wants to see it. The reason that superhero movies are doing so well is because they have moved away from shlock. Some might think that these movies are too dark these days, but I would argue that the ticket sales tells the tale of what people are looking to see. Also, Vince Vaughn is no longer funny.

No. No return to campy Batman. No one wants to see it. The reason that superhero movies are doing so well is because they have moved away from shlock. Some might think that these movies are too dark these days, but I would argue that the ticket sales tells the tale of what people are looking to see. Also, Vince Vaughn is no longer funny.

I don't think that we need to make Batman quite as "gritty" as the Dark Knight movies to be successful. Both the Iron Man and Spiderman franchises are built on not taking things too seriously. Having a few quips and sight gags is good; it doesn't hurt to remind the audience that we are watching a grown man dressed in a costume fighting crime, after all. Batman could do the same thing (and if it seems out of character to have him making quips, you could have Robin or Gordon or Riddler or whoever making them.

The problem is that full-on camp is BORING. If Batman has thermal underwear to save him against Dr. Freeze or shark repellant on his belt, then why would anyone care about any danger he is in? We can simply expect Deus ex Machina, and why would I want to watch that? So I guess I'm sort of in the middle ground. A little bit of cheesiness/camp is fun. A lot is unwatchable.

As has been said it's called Batman and Robin. And yes it was commercially successful. It also almost ruined the franchise.

No. This has already been tried, it was called Batman and Robin.

Never forget, this was the movie with the the Bat-credit card.

Batman and Robin is what I was referring to in my original post when I mentioned a mash up of Dark Knight and camp.

I don't know that I would want to see it, but I wonder if there's a market out there for it? :dunno:

Seeing how hard it is to balance the light versus serious approach to these stories, I'd rather they fall on the more serious side of the spectrum.

MoS has already established this franchise to be darker (and less kid friendly, quite frankly), so I expect the follow-up movies will be the same.

Speaking of kid friendly Superman, has anyone else checkout the tie in Superman toys for Mos? They sucked. Even my 5-year-old son who loves Superman didn't want any of them. The 3 3/4 inch figures were lame and limited and the others were weird stunted stretch figures. Actually, the toys were as just as bad for Dark Knight.

My son preferred to keep collecting the Imaginex DC superhero figures, which includes most Justice League characters.

Anyway. Just an observation.

I love the Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon series, but yeah, keep that to animated tales where I think the writers have better reign over the stories they tell and if one episode doesn't work out too well, they've got a chance with the next one to get it right, with a movie it's 2-3 years of waiting and if it sucks then the movie goer is SOL.

I want live-action movies with light-hearted moments, inspiring heroism, and a touch of the funny ("puny god"), but I want the overall story to have weight and a level of seriousness where heavy shit happens and characters soberly realize the cause and effect of theirs and others' actions but not so far that it goes to taking itself too seriously.

A difficult formula to get right, I grant you, which is why there are so many super hero movies that displease people, they go too far one way, not enough in another, but as far as seriousness goes I think the ones that got it right range between in tone from The Avengers to The Dark Knight. Both these movies I love and were perfect to almost perfect in their own way (imho) and mega hits as well, but I think they each straddled the line. Anything more lighthearted than The Avengers goes too campy anything more dark or serious than The Dark Knight, goes too serious. Movies like Superman (original with Christopher Reeve), Iron Man, and Batman Begins and a few others fall in between the range of these other 2 movies and has a good tone to tell their stories.

As I got to thinking about it... I don't know that I disagree. We've had iterations of the Dark Knight. We had an attempt to mesh the Dark Knight with camp and that didn't go so well. But what if you went straight campy? Bat-shark repellant and all?

No. Just no. If you want campy Batman watch the new animated series, or go rewatch the Adam West stuff. It's all heresy, btw.

No. Just no. If you want campy Batman watch the new animated series, or go rewatch the Adam West stuff. It's all heresy, btw.

No, whether it's dark and brooding or campy psychedelic it's all legitimately part of Batman's legacy. I just agree with you that it doesn't belong as a big screen live-action movie.

No, whether it's dark and brooding or campy psychedelic it's all legitimately part of Batman's legacy. I just agree with you that it doesn't belong as a big screen live-action movie.

I disagree. The campy shit was an abomination, and not at all what Batman was created to be.

I disagree. The campy shit was an abomination, and not at all what Batman was created to be.

It wasn't what he was created to be but it got thrown to the wall and it stuck there for too long and now the statute of limitations has run out on it being an abomination, it's now legacy.

While coming in listening to ESPN radio this morning, Mike Greenberg started going on and on about how he misses the campy Batman from the sixties and was arguing that a movie in that mold would do well.

As I got to thinking about it... I don't know that I disagree. We've had iterations of the Dark Knight. We had an attempt to mesh the Dark Knight with camp and that didn't go so well. But what if you went straight campy? Bat-shark repellant and all?

I'm picturing someone like Vince Vaughn playing Batman complete with spandex and a bit of a belly like Adam West. If you took the straight humor route, could you make a good/fun Batman movie? Would it be commercially successful?

Batman and Robin was commercially successful, so almost any kind of Batman will make money.

Would it be good? I cant see it. Finding an actor of Adam Wests quality would be almost impossible. People underestimate just how good he was in that role.

I would like to see some more humour. Grant Morrison did it well without sacrificing edge or quality. Perhaps add the Bat Cow?

At least some filming of Superman and Batman to be in Detroit - :Snoopy Happy Dance:

http://variety.com/2...gan-1200591899/

Now all I have to decide is whether to stalk Bryan Cranston or Ben Affleck. Decisions, decisions...

Affleck did have a habit of putting his balls on peoples necks back in the 90's, so if that's your thing go with Affleck.

This is the one aspect of Shield I'm really interested in. I'm not certain how much well actually see movie characters beyond Maria Hill (eventually) and Colston...

If Loki shows up to taunt or haunt Coulson, I'm in!

Archived