Video Games: Grinding To Oblivion

Relic

You say that like 7.7 is a bad score. That's about what I'd rate Last Light anyway, and I enjoyed it.

Why does everyone seem to think that anything below a 9 means a game is shit these days?

Because that's generally the score given to an AAA game that means it is shit. Anything under a 6 is something I'd have to have a very, very good reason to touch, generally, and anything below a 5 is basically something that they shouldn't have reviewed. Scores are pretty much from 7-10 these days.

I've heard the comments for the Gamespot review will make you want to disassociate yourself from all gamers.

You mean more than everyone sensible already does? Gamer culture is goddamn toxic.

I won't be getting GTA5 any time soon due to no money. I am looking forward to playing it though and am hoping my brother ends up buying it.

I just don't understand why anyone gives two shits about reviews? I have never purchased a game or not purchased a game based on some arbitrary number that some schmuck I don't even know gave it. I read a lot of reviews to just read what they said about a game, but have never paid any attention to the number grade attached to it.

In this day and age if you want some information to determine whether you buy a game or not, which is the smart way to make a purchase, there are plenty of ways to find that help. I just don't understand how a number will give that to you.

Do people honestly just avoid any game without a certain rating?

Reviewers hand out 10s like candy on Halloween these days. Perfect scores don't even mean anything anymore. I can't think of a single game in history I'd give a 10/10 to. Even my favorites of all time, every game has its flaws.

Age of Empires II... and maybe Civilization IV.

Also, IGN certainly gives out high scores quite often, but not perfect scores. They've only given 14 perfect scores since 2001, that's only a little over one a year. And for them, 10/10 is 'masterpiece' not 'perfect'.

ETA: And of those 14, one was Wii's re-release of Chrono Trigger and another was an updated version of Pac-Man. So really its more like 12 perfect scores. Point is, a 10/10 is still meaningful for them, even 9+ isn't really anymore.

Also, the fact that there are three main characters and not one of them is female is disappointing enough; but Rockstar's response when the matter was brought up really put me off. Grantland had an article last week that pretty much sums up my views on the matter. Obviously not every game needs to have a female lead, but I think its important option to have when possible. And when a game has 3 leads instead of 1, its pretty ridiculous if none of them are.

I can be a female in multiplayer? That sounds so much more appealing. I've no problem playing the male lead (Master Chief, all day!), but in a sandbox game I'd really appreciate being given the choice. I like this article. So anyone know what multiplayer is gonna be like in this game?

Stuff like the phone calls, the lack of entertaining diversions, and subpar shooting mechanics.

Ah. The phone calls are basically gone. You can call people to instigate minigames and so on, but they don't call you. Pool and darts are still in the game, but there's also golf, tennis, base-jumping, BMXing, a ton of different races and a few others. The shooting mechanics have been tossed out and replaced with Max Payne 3's combat system, with a much better cover system. Some characters can even use (sort of) bullet time, most notably Franklin when he's driving, allowing you to pull off overtaking moves and power slides much more easily.

Although being able to skip missions you fail three times seems like a really bad idea. I hope thats something you can disable.

It's an option. If you fail a mission for the third time a prompt comes up, but you can say no and continue retrying. Rockstar implemented this after being told that casual players will simply stop playing if they can't ge past a mission within a certain amount of time.

I can be a female in multiplayer?

Yes.

So anyone know what multiplayer is gonna be like in this game?

Substantial. There's going to be separate multiplayer game called GTA Online. It launches next month and you will be able to access it from GTA5. Initially it will consist of the Los Santos map with a ton of different features and multiplayer/co-op missions, as well as multiplayer-only storyline (consisting of an alleged 500 missions to start with, though I expect a lot of these to be fairly repetitive). Rockstar have said they are already planning to expand the map over time and add new missions, and they'll have a team dedicated to this. Some people are already expecting them to update Liberty City from GTA4 and put it in the multiplayer mode, maybe accessible from the airport or something.

Nested is a nifty browser simulation

"The interface is perfectly simple, which makes it easy to start playing and even easier to keep clicking away. The display is set up like a directory of nested folders. You click on a universe, which gives you access to a number of galaxies, each of which contains planets, asteroid belts, and such. You can click to explore planets, and if they harbor intelligent life, you can view the species and cultures, visit their museums, and even see their thoughts.

Or you can keep diving deeper, perhaps into the bones of a creature, or into the elements that make up a rock, then into the atoms and the quarks, and deeper still into an alternate multiverse. Fly inside a black hole, then through a white hole, and discover a hypoverse or a lasagnaverse or a sharkverse. Sift through the stars and see what universes are hiding within."

eta: Formatting

I've dusted off Darksiders from my long-neglected pile of games I've never beaten (needed a break from Diablo3 but wanted to stay with the apocalyptic theme), and last night I got past the part that glitched out and caused me to put the game aside in the first place a few years ago. Its certainly not a great game, I listen to podcasts and am barely paying attention to the screen, but its a competent enough zelda-clone; so hopefully it won't glitch out again. The completitionist in me really would like to whittle down that pile. I finally finished off the original Bioshock last weekend as well; and I don't like it nearly as much as Bioshock Infinite.

Ah. The phone calls are basically gone. You can call people to instigate minigames and so on, but they don't call you. Pool and darts are still in the game, but there's also golf, tennis, base-jumping, BMXing, a ton of different races and a few others. The shooting mechanics have been tossed out and replaced with Max Payne 3's combat system, with a much better cover system. Some characters can even use (sort of) bullet time, most notably Franklin when he's driving, allowing you to pull off overtaking moves and power slides much more easily.

Good, I had the same reservations as Fez and I am planning to wait to see what people thought of the game after it has been out for a while. I mean, I know my friends would not be put out with me when I told them I couldn't talk because I was in a running gun battle with the Yakuza while driving a stolen vehicle that was on fire. Niko got shit on.

God, Lara in Tomb Raider getting the grenade launcher is just great. Between the enemies going "oh fucking shit she has a GRENADE LAUNCHER RUN" and story!Lara finally catching up with videogame!Lara and realizing that she's a badass fighting some completely insane people, its a very well done moment.

Had a lot of fun with Fez in the last week. I've got about 29 regular cubes, 7 anti-cubes and 3 artifacts, but really don't know what else to do. Unlocked New Game + so used the first person view to help me out a little. It's a great little game with a fantastic design and soundtrack, and I'll probably come back to it some day as I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of it all.

But now I'm going back to Papers Please. Glory to Arstotzka!

God, Lara in Tomb Raider getting the grenade launcher is just great. Between the enemies going "oh fucking shit she has a GRENADE LAUNCHER RUN" and story!Lara finally catching up with videogame!Lara and realizing that she's a badass fighting some completely insane people, its a very well done moment.

It really is. So badass. There's a few moments in the game like that, but that's probably the best.

Had a lot of fun with Fez in the last week.

:leer:

:P

. I strongly suggest anyone who hasn't played this game give it a try. Terraria is the pinnacle of indie games plus he's basically completely re-done the whole game like 3 times as free patches. He deserves your money.

I wonder which one will be released first, Terraria 1.2 patch or Starbound :P But yes, Terraria is great.

So, GTA5 cost over $200 million to make, allegedly. But it also grossed $800 million on the first days on sale http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/18/us-taketwo-gta-idUSBRE98H0Z720130918.

Dayum son! Only 39 movies in the whole history of movies have made more than $800 million at the box office, and that was in the course of an entire theatrical run. I'm guessing GTA 5 will double that number by the time it stops selling in any substantial numbers.

So because GTA 5 seems to be a swan song for the current generation of consoles, I thought maybe it's time for some top 3/5/whatever lists of this generation. Here's mine (I didn't play the Xbox that much)

1. Last of Us - also the best looking console game of this generation (in my opinion)

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - even though I'm a grown man I fucking loved this game

3. Red Dead Redemption

4. Bioshock 1

5. Call of Duty 4 :D

Edit: 6. Can't believe I forgot Uncharted 2

Archived