Guardians of the Galaxy thread 2 ... Great movie, or best blockbuster of the decade?

Howdyphillip

Marvel embrace the core elements of the comic books. Their canon is consistent as they have enough love and respect for the source material not to take a large steaming dump all over it whenever it's time for a re-boot. What's the point of the first X-men trilogy and even the two Wolverine movies? None, all those myriad story lines have now disappeared, vanished forever like the echos of a bad dream. There's money to be made from giving the whole thing a do over after all. Same with spiderman, superman, fantastic 4 and so on and on. The people making those films couldn't give a fuck about the books because they don't see it as literature, just rather silly children's illustrations that they can extract characters from to award themselves an interested audience.

Give them time. They can be "faithful" to the comics because the comics reinvent themselves every 5 years or so (nowadays they reinvent themselves to be more like the movies). We don't know how long Marvel will stick to this shared continuity for. Which Kalbear also said.

and if you think the Spider-man film reboot was bad then it has nothing compared to "the clone saga" or "one more day" in terms of making a mess and rebooting in a very lazy fashion.

In comics there's always been a Marvel vs DC mutual exclusivity amongst some fans. It's funny how in the movies Marvel itself is split into a "we have to hate the ones marvel don't own". In fairness, the other folk have generally done an awful job of late. I'm very curious as to how X=men apocalypse will turn out now that Singer has his continuity back (and doesn't have to go to court over the rape allegation)

Statham could make a fairly compelling recurring villain of some kind. Especially for someone like Cap. Taskmaster would have been a decent choice, for instance (though he's awfully small potatoes). Maybe the leader of the Wrecking Crew?

"Favorite actor" and "best actor" are two different things, imo. Statham is a lot of fun to watch and I'll see most any movie as long as he's in it. That doesn't mean that I think he's the best actor, just that I really like what he puts out.

I have never seen a movie that I disliked that had Keanu Reeves in it.

Statham could make a fairly compelling recurring villain of some kind. Especially for someone like Cap. Taskmaster would have been a decent choice, for instance (though he's awfully small potatoes). Maybe the leader of the Wrecking Crew?

Can't see Statham as a pure black hat, would have to be a part a little more ambiguous, he's too likeable to play evil. Maybe he'll eventually do a mcconaughey, would be nice to see him in something non action related.

IMO the MCU needs more likeable villains. Apart from Loki the villains are fairly mundane (and mostly dead.) Lee Pace claimed his acting as Ronan was over-the-top but he still seemed very dull.

I'm usually someone who sympathises with the villains, but not so much in Marvels films.

I was having dinner with a friend last night and he asked me an interesting question: Who's your favorite actor right now?

:cheers: Top notch post. I've been a fan of Chris Pratt from Parks & Rec and love seeing the success he's having now, especially since he's also one of the few actors who's also entertaining in interviews (a frustratingly small club which also includes our boy Tom Hardy).

(For the record my current favourite's Michael Fassbender with Hardy, Charlize Theron and Jeff Bridges not far behind. But Chris isn't too far behind those who aren't too far behind Fassbender.)

Don't watch Lake House, or it'll ruin your streak.

Or Johnny Mnemonic

Matrix Revolutions

Chain Reaction

Constantine...

Finally got to see GotG. I had a blast watching it - I know very little of the backstory/history of the comics so I didn't have any baggage around changes, etc. Great characters, dialogue was awesome...the surviving floating in space bugged me some but it is somewhere top 5 super hero movies for me.

the surviving floating in space bugged me some

It seemed like he was in space a bit too long, but apparently humans and animals can survive in a vacuum for short periods of time pretty regularly. Although it is a much grosser experience than just frosting up a bit, and even after the physical effects wear off, there can be lasting cognitive changes.

I was under the impression space isn't quite as cold as you think, because there are so few molecules floating around, you lose very little heat via conduction and convection.

The big issue would be his lungs exploding out of his chest, but if the mask somehow can protect his lungs then it's not impossible.

It seemed like he was in space a bit too long, but apparently humans and animals can survive in a vacuum for short periods of time pretty regularly. Although it is a much grosser experience than just frosting up a bit, and even after the physical effects wear off, there can be lasting cognitive changes.

This movie was so much fun, that I've decided not to be bothered by the exposure to space scenes, even if right at the beginning it did a little.

I was more bothered by Groot apparently pulling energy from nowhere to grow shitloads or release glowy seeds or whatever... but then I decided it's Guardians of the Galaxy, who cares about physics?

Anyway, I'm in the 'loads of fun, not instant classic' crowd. I preferred Cap 2 and Thor 2 both. As has been repeatedly discussed, the villains were pants, and all the more disappointing because the original versions of both are much more nuanced. Sure, there's still time for Thanos (and Nebula, which is good, because I'd like to see more of Karen Gillan in that role), but they just ruined Ronan. Yondu was by far the most interesting character who was even semi antagonistic.

And there was a bit too much going on at one time in the climax. It always slightly irritates me when a film repeatedly cuts between several different action scenes going on at one time, because to me the end result is that all of them feel like they're dragging on.

The heroes were excellent though. I was a bit bothered by Gamora's casual change of sides and everyone basically just accepting it as a given, but other than that, all the characters were well done (and distinctive, not always with this kind of ensemble in this kind of time). Groot and Drax were the highlights.

With the surviving in space without a suit scene, the first time I saw it I was scratching my head at it a little but once the articles started coming out to educate us on the fact that so many other sci-fi movies have lied to us about what happens during space-exposure and Guardians had it pretty much correct I was glad James Gunn went that route.

Then there was the thing at the end revealing he's not all human anyway, so his survival seemed even more believable than mere science would allow.

Archived