Tea kettles, electric gizmos, and food fights

Tears of Lys

I do use a drip machine generally, though I've tried some of the alternatives. What you're describing sounds absurdly weak, though.

My coffee maker (and most, I think) are very wrong about what constitutes "1 cup" of coffee; I use small (maybe 6oz?) coffee cups and what my coffee maker considers "2 cups" is about one of those. So my "10 cup" coffee maker really produces about 5 cups if I fill it all the way. Usually I don't, usually I make 4 cups (2 real cups) of coffee if it's just me drinking it.

Coffee scoops aren't standardized, but I think mine is at least 1 tbsp. I use 1:1 on those in coffee maker terms, so if my goal is 2 "real" cups of coffee, I use 4 scoops of whole beans and 4 of what my coffee maker considers cups of water. It's fairly strong as coffee goes but nothing unreasonable. And good beans. Zeke's 4 lyfe.

For every coffee maker I've even owned 2 cups as measured by the machine = one cup of coffee. I think a mistake many people make is thinking that a coffee scoop = 1tbs. A scoop designed for whole beans should be 2 tbs. Proper coffee should be made with one slightly rounded scoop of beans for every cup of coffee (2 cups by the machine's silly standards). And don't bullshit the grind; a course grind will make weak coffee.

I usually drink botz now, which is a big spoonful (I'm not sure exactly more than a tablespoon though) of very finely ground coffee in a mug and hot water, after a few minutes the grounds usually stay mostly at the bottom. Some people add sugar to the grounds before adding water, I don't, but sometimes I add spices like cardamom. If I have guests sometimes I'll make this in a special pot on a stove (for Turkish/Arabic coffee, which is basically what this is), but that's more time consuming and can be messy.

For every coffee maker I've even owned 2 cups as measured by the machine = one cup of coffee. I think a mistake many people make is thinking that a coffee scoop = 1tbs. A scoop designed for whole beans should be 2 tbs. Proper coffee should be made with one slightly rounded scoop of beans for every cup of coffee (2 cups by the machine's silly standards). And don't bullshit the grind; a course grind will make weak coffee.

Yeah, it's bizarre and frustrating that there are such nonsensical variations of what constitutes a "cup" of coffee on coffee makers. I've had coffee makers that range from "one cup" being 4 ounces to 5.5. And then of course my coffee grinder has its own setting -- you pick a number of "cups" to grind for. I've worked out so far that one unit of measurement from my grinder makes for about 6 ounces of water, so I pick the number I want on the grinder and just measure the water to match. Luckily our new fridge's water dispenser keeps a reasonably accurate count of the ounces of water it has dispensed.

Not necessarily, that depends on exposure/seeping time and water to coffee ratio.

I meant specifically for a common drip coffee maker.

My coffee is the instant variety. I boil water in my despised electric kettle then pour it over the weird looking groups. I like it.

You are an awful human.

I love the smell of coffee, but hate the taste. just one of those weird things, I guess.

Love tea though, all kinds of different blends.

This thread reminded me that there are GoT inspired blends and now I want them. Actually, there are a lot of blends at that site I'd like to try

Archived