Vikings season 3

cdawnb

For those more knowledge of Christian pre Danelaw England, was almost dying by crucifying for being a murderous viking ever a real sign of holy act? This is not me being a ass, does being nailed equal stigmata?

Also Athelstan has done a butt load of murderous acts with the vikings, why is it people still treat him as a priest? Why does Ecbert wants him to be one so badly?

I liked the scene of Ecberts son getting the info from the prisoner. Didn't see it mentioned. Good episode I didn't think the supernatural stuff was overdone I kinda liked it. Torstein :(

Ecbert is the man. He will probably end up being the "trickster who's weapon cleaves you" though with Kalf being a misdirection :(

Everyone everywhere assumes Ecberth will betray or do some low move...

AmI the only one trusting him entirely ? It's not naivety, it's just that I think it would be bad writing and redundant to make him a "vilain" after having explained to us so much of is interests (old history, the golden age of the antiquity...) and motivations (he's like Ragnar, fascinated by other cultures).

Everyone everywhere assumes Ecberth will betray or do some low move...

AmI the only one trusting him entirely ? It's not naivety, it's just that I think it would be bad writing and redundant to make him a "vilain" after having explained to us so much of is interests (old history, the golden age of the antiquity...) and motivations (he's like Ragnar, fascinated by other cultures).

The show really doesn't do villains well though.

Has anyone else been brought to mind of the three Norns, with the three women in Kattegatt and their visions of the Wanderer (who sure does possess the characteristics of Odin, who also wandered / wanders -- many of our characters are closely associated with Odin, and Ragnar is supposedly his son, and Ragnar too loves to wander and learn -- as does Athelstan). Norns are associated with transitional events and actions. The Nordic world, now in more close and even in some cases, as with Athelstan, familiar contact with the Christian world and Europe, is entering an era of transition. Transition is difficult, often bloody, and mixed positive and negative.

Anyway that's the sort of responses the second episode provoked for me while watching it.

It's hard to buy that her relatives raped Princess Kwenthrith from early childhood on up. That would destroy all her value for a marriage chip. The writers just don't know what to do with this character to make her interesting. So she's a disturbed, out-of-control, sexually voracious, drunken female, who dances in front of men (without any female attendents). This is just stupid for the period. Princesses simply are not allowed to behave that way. They don't get raped either, unless its by an enemy on the way to killing them.

As for King Ecbert -- Kings are never to be trusted by anyone. Their power and their kingdom always trumps everything and everyone else.

One feels safe presuming Bjorn is going to have something to say to Kalf in one of these episodes.

SO MUCH TO REPLY TO!!!

It drives me insane. I have seen her called everything from broodmare to cow to baby machine.

I like her. A lot actually.

Yeah its gross. I like her too. She grew on me, and i can understand where shes coming from. She sees her path and tries to follow it. So far, its all come true. Aslaug has no reason to doubt her choice. She has a lot of respect for Lagertha and envies Lagertha's strength and integrity.

Where do you guys go for these kind of comments?

All over the webz actually.

Probably the Vikings FB page.

I belong to a couple of fb Vikings pages and yeah. The most vehement and vitriolic Aslaug hate comes from there.

Floki is obviously a characterization of Loki. He is an agent of chaos. He likes creating problems. He always acts as the spark to start battles, fights and so on.

In a sense, yes. But also the nature of the god, Loki is more complex than simply being chaos. The Loki of myth may be a catalyst, but is also the one to solve a problem. Wild fire that burns away the unnecessary and decrepit in order for new growth. (hence the association of Loki and fire or Kaun. Hel, its even in his name.) Last season showed the character of Floki being very similar to Loki by being the one to aid in fixing that problem shaped like Horik. :B

Flóki means "tangle" in Norse. There is no doubt a connection. Messy, complicated, frustrating...

:thumbsup: Here's your cookie.

The character moves with chaos. I do think Floki is going to be anti-Ragnar at one point, or find himself in extreme disagreement with him. A trailer peek implied this....His hatred for Christianity is going to be A Thing and cause a lot of issues in the dynamic. Floki's ambivalence has led him to be quite jaded. Ragnar is very open to new ideas and is rather tolerant. The two will clash and it wont be pretty.

Ecbert needs to back the f up.

lol, tbh, i like it. Of course, Ecbert won me over pretty hard so im having difficulties not shipping it.

So my DVR failed once again to record the ending of a show.

It cutoff with Torstein lying on the ground, arm cut off, the others around him, and he looked like he was a dead man. Did he die?

Yeah same here. Thank the gods for On Demand.

The song playing before Torstein gets his arm cut off was a reprise of Helvegen. Im not sure hes gonna make it and im sad. The ending there was ambiguous about it. Floki and Rollo being like "it aint yer arm thats the problem" is like oh no. I love that character, hes so lovable. I think he might be dying despite the amputation. We'll have to see."
Also Athelstan's stigmata thing mirrors that weird dude who shows up in Kattegat. Wtf is that about? I have a feeling it has to do with the spread of Christianity.

Has anyone else been brought to mind of the three Norns, with the three women in Kattegatt and their visions of the Wanderer

Oh yeah. I was even figuring out which of the women were which Norn.

Siggy: Urðr

Aslaug: Skuld

Helga: Verðandi

All three dream of the Wanderer and feel anticipation and hopefulness. Its interesting.

I have to admit something: Im having a hard time sympathizing with Athelstan these days. Im not even sure its a good idea to trust the dude. I dont think he'll turn his back on Ragnar or Lagertha, but i feel like he will turn his back on the rest, including Bjorn. :/

It's hard to buy that her relatives raped Princess Kwenthrith from early childhood on up. That would destroy all her value for a marriage chip. The writers just don't know what to do with this character to make her interesting. So she's a disturbed, out-of-control, sexually voracious, drunken female, who dances in front of men (without any female attendents). This is just stupid for the period. Princesses simply are not allowed to behave that way. They don't get raped either, unless its by an enemy on the way to killing them.

Ummm...I find this to be a pretty gross stance to take. The implication has been always that Kwenthrith is unstable because of abuses. There werent much in the way of therapists in those days. You can see Ragnar quite visibly grossed the fuck out when she tells him about this stuff. And it really isnt that much of a stretch. People did terrible things to their daughters, sisters, and nieces. An abused woman with no outlet acts out. The characters in-universe do take note of her odd behavior anyway. To say its hard to buy is kind of...unfortunate on your part.

As for Kalf, hes expendable.

The war god Tyr sacrifices an arm to Fenrir in order to chain him. Tyr is associated with Odin, his second, sometimes his son. With all the Odin imagery this ep, maybe our man Torstein will play a role like Tyr?

The war god Tyr sacrifices an arm to Fenrir in order to chain him. Tyr is associated with Odin, his second, sometimes his son. With all the Odin imagery this ep, maybe our man Torstein will play a role like Tyr?

Good catch! Although its his hand, not whole arm. I could hang with that, and hope the sad funeral music was just trying to play up the situation for feels and not just foreshadowing.

Is anyone else hoping that the monk gets laid?

Hoping? Its a given. Pretty sure Judith and Athelstan get bizzay.

I thought it was pretty funny that she was trying to convince her brother he wouldn't be harmed while she was sailing towards him with a bunch of ships with heads hanging from them. :D

Loved that

"Hey Skip, where ya goin? Sis loves you baby."

Archived