True Detective Thread VII... or is it Thread I? Time is a circle

Howdyphillip

I don't find any of this to be a letdown, really. They've confirmed a Carcosa-related cult, Tuttle's involvement, a connection between Childress and Tuttle, and the Lawnmower Man.

Maybe it seems like a letdown because we were all picking up on this stuff and making the connections?

I'm just relieved that Audrey and Macie seem to be OK. (Did I imagine a black star in that photo of Audrey with the painting?)

I don't find any of this to be a letdown, really. They've confirmed a Carcosa-related cult, Tuttle's involvement, a connection between Childress and Tuttle, and the Lawnmower Man.

Maybe it seems like a letdown because we were all picking up on this stuff and making the connections?

I'm just relieved that Audrey and Macie seem to be OK. (Did I imagine a black star in that photo of Audrey with the painting?)

Not over yet.

I agree. I don't find any of this a letdown. NP put the clues there and we found them. Nice to see it confirmed. Can't wait to see how it ends, something that none of us know or can guess at since anything can happen at this point given who our "heroes" are and where they are in their lives. Bring it on!

I'm so glad this show didn't spiral into ridiculousness like so many fans apparently wanted it to. What with all that talk of metaphysics and nihilism and supernatural forces. It was perfect in its execution.

Much like the story within a story of The King in Yellow it served no greater purpose other than to drive those who read it mad. It was an experiment from the beginning, to see who would pay attention to what.

The detective's curse.

I didn't think it was this case. In Marty's case, it had nothing to do with this case; it had to do with him being just a shithole of a human being who thinks he's doing what is right as a man.

I do like that this is quickly becoming a very basic story. There's very little to the Carcosa/whatever; it's people being horrible. We don't know why, but at some level it doesn't matter. Rust and Marty aren't in on the conspiracy. Maggie and the daughters likely aren't part of it either. Beth certainly isn't. While that might feel a bit mundane and a bit of a letdown, it's also significantly easier to wrap up and move on from. We don't need a grand unification of all events that happened. Things didn't all happen for a reason. Some shit was just random chance and bad luck.

True. Marty's descent really is self-inflicted. And the reason that he quit goes with your second point...people are horrible. He had his "No Country For Old Men" moment when he saw the baby in the microwave.

As your Inside the Episode link showed, though, Marty is finally pulling his weight. After seeing the video, he came to realize that he does indeed have a debt.

Just a couple of thoughts -- "this is how the world ends not with a bang but a whimper" was my leitmotif for the episode.

I liked the expression of the Doctrine of ER with the two black detectives running into Lawn Mower Man.

+1. I'm so happy that Marty and family are all unscathed save the damage they did to each other.

The Carcosa cult is creepy. The videotape was just chilling.

Got my 6 pack of Lone Star on ice and the directions on making tin men: http://i.imgur.com/YZq8BJ2.png

Never seen Lone Star in CT and I used to work in a packy. Or else I'd be right there with you. Maybe next week I'll put aside my vodka aversion and drink my special lady friend's Tito's.

Was hoping for a bit...more, I guess. Finding out Tuttle was flat-out guilty is awesome and all, but we're not that much closer to the resolution.

It was really great seeing Maggie and the daughters doing awesome. Especially in contrast to how shitty Marty and Rust's lives have been. Marty saying goodbye was also somewhat sweet, though not nearly as much as him thanking Maggie.

For a while I thought that the thing that Marty saw in the video was Beth getting ritually killed. Glad to see that's not the case, but man...ugh. Still, it's interesting; I had thought Rust would have all this info on the case. But he hasn't. He's barely scratched the surface. 8 years of wasting away in Alaska, deciding that he has to die with the slate cleared so he goes back. And two years where he still hasn't found next to anything.

+1. I'm so happy that Marty and family are all unscathed save the damage they did to each other.

The Carcosa cult is creepy. The videotape was just chilling.

Wait? Both of Marty's daughters are doing awesome? I got the impression that the younger one was doing Americorps. Which is OK I suppose, but I would think that Marty would have enough juice to get his daughter an actual paying public school teaching gig at least. But Audrey (?) the older one, was, IIRC, on antidepressants and finally (after how long as the captain of the "varsity slut team"?) found a serious boyfriend that didn't mind she was (in the parlance of our show) "Crazy Pussy". That's pretty low expectations for 'awesome' or even 'unscathed'.

Great episode. Answered plenty and kept up its ridiculously high standard.

Looks like time really is a flat circle... 2 detectives lost, searching for that church and overlooking a certain lawnmower man to a pursue a lead :)

This hasn't been confirmed yet. Marty and Rust don't really know much more than the Tuttle and Childress families are involved.

It's all but confirmed at this point. I guess they could have Marty find out that his daughter has been a victim while he's at the cult's compound and then create some tension about whether he's going to kill that woman in the preview or not like he did with Ledoux.

Personally, I would find that cliche and uninteresting. This episode is telling us that Marty had been the bad influence on his family and daughters seeing as they are doing well (including Audrey) now that he's left. If they turn around in the finale and say 'No, it's been the cult all along!' I'm not sure how I would react.

The thing is, a lot of the weird shit with Marty's daughter as a child seems rooted in more than just some paternal neglect. The sex drawings and doll scene especially, and to a lesser extent the spiral drawing. Acting out sexually as a teenager, yea, not really evidence of abuse by the Yellow King. But that other stuff can't be so easily dismissed - if it amounts to nothing then Pizzolatto is very much guilty of "tricking us"

Which is OK I suppose, but I would think that Marty would have enough juice to get his daughter an actual paying public school teaching gig at least.

She's probably doing Teach for America. Or working for a non-profit under the Americorps grant. It's actually a bit different than just getting a teaching gig.

Archived