Waterstones: HarperCollinsUK Letter

Red Wedding Cake

I remember, when I first read AGoT, fully expecting that there would be gaps and time jumps between various novels, as George was surely not intending to write a novel about, well, children, I felt that he was trying to set up Sansa and Arya as potentially mortal enemies. They did not reconcile before they were separated, and I thought that this was supposed to mean that Sansa and Arya would eventually end up championing different causes.

Interesting to see that this was actually the case.

As to a love triangle/love story involving Arya:

I guess this is pretty much dead now, although in hindsight it is interesting to see that Tyrion never interacted with Arya in AGoT. Was that a conscious decision to hide Tyrion's blossoming romantic interest?

Any incestuous love between Jon and Arya feels contrived and totally unrealistic in the series as it unfolded. If there is a love triangle it could involve Daenerys, Tyrion, and Jon, if they ever meet each other.

Arya most certainly has a completely different story now, as George's decision to separate Catelyn from her daughters, and prevent Arya from ever rejoining any member of her family clearly set her on a very different path - not to mention the introduction of the Faceless Men.

Daenerys:

George seems to have changed the plan for the second Dance. Dothraki may still play an important role in the impending invasion of Westeros - as it is pretty obvious that the meeting with Jhaqo was set up for Dany to claim his allegiance, and the allegiance of his whole khalasar - but Dany will have her other forces, too. Aegon was clearly not back in the game in 1993, but he clearly is now, and George has repeatedly spoken of a 'second Dance of the Dragons'.

How do you know Aegon wasn't the subject of the redacted paragraph? That paragraph addressed the central plot of the original Dance with Dragons book.

How do you know Aegon wasn't the subject of the redacted paragraph? That paragraph addressed the central plot of the original Dance with Dragons book.

Reddit has interpreted more of it now, it seems to be mostly about the Wall, Others, and Wights, and there is a line about something melting (possibly the Wall?).

I am still amazed that anyone thought putting a line through the letters that didn't cover them completely was a legit redaction. I'm fairly confident it will be completely cracked soon.

Reddit has interpreted more of it now, it seems to be mostly about the Wall, Others, and Wights, and there is a line about something melting (possibly the Wall?).

Actually their interpretation has changed a lot over the last few days. Currently it seems only the last sentence is reminding the reader of the threat of the others. The rest seems to be about Daenerys and someone who is a Jon Snow's "bitter enemy." (Tyrion? Bran?) Which is more consistent with the fact that this is a brief description of things that were gonna happen in the second book and not the third.

http://imgur.com/IIYQLNX,AAnrsHs#1

No reason to feel down about a fax. I believe in the USA they still use cheques!

We still uses faxes to in the US. Al lot of older companies haven't let go of them. :D

I don't think people should use this letter for anything concrete in regards to the future novels.

I also much prefer the story we got. I'd argue GRRM added at least one core character (Sansa) and maybe another (Jaime). Of those "core 5" I really only care for Bran.

I concur, nothing concrete in this but it does come close to confirming some flights of fancy many of us have had.

Zero surprise on Sansa. He had her do that without the baby (though many don't agree, this suggests it even stronger). Still, though, she lives. He can finish the redemption story.

Agreed, he ended up changing things a bit here from the outline. But, Sansa does kind of side against her family for a minute there in the first book. I think that the way it has actually played out still makes her a sympathetic character and that it's possible that she has taken the Arya role in the supposed love triangle scenario. Hard to say though, Sansa's future is one of the pov's I feel the least confident speculating about.

I wonder what this means for Stannis, Aegon and Rickon?? I can see why he might have added Stannis and Aegon, but Rickon has added nothing to the story as of yet. He barely appears at the edge of scenes and clearly was not supposed to be part of the original plan GRRM had for the Starks - wonder what his role is supposed to be.

Also good to see GRRM declare that things are supposed to get better for the poor Starks

To be the last Stark he can kill without effecting plot, and therefore derive more pain from his audience which is the lifeblood of his power. It is known.

Archived