Star Wars Episode VII THE SPOILERS Strike Back

Martell Spy

Then why did Leia walk right past her deceased husband's closest friend of over 30 years to console Rey? Which really pissed me off btw. It's Chewie not getting a medal all over again. 

Ha! Exactly!  I was thinking the same thing!!! Why is Leia not falling into Chewie's arms while they cry over Han together?

Ha! Exactly!  I was thinking the same thing!!! Why is Leia not falling into Chewie's arms while they cry over Han together?

I think it's implied that they DID interact before Leia sees Rey, as Chewy is shown BEHIND Leia she embraces Rey. Obviously they should have shown us Chewie, but maybe we'll get it in the extended version. 

Then why did Leia walk right past her deceased husband's closest friend of over 30 years to console Rey? Which really pissed me off btw. It's Chewie not getting a medal all over again. 

Well...if they're out to recreate ANH so closely...

Also, don't know if Wert was planning on posting it, but he's written up a very helpful Q&A on the film:

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2015/12/star-wars-force-awakens-questions-and.html?spref=tw

That's a good summary of many of the questions, though I think he makes a lot of assumptions with his responses.  Bear in mind, I haven't ready any of the supplemental stuff, so I don't if he's getting info from elsewhere.  I particularly find interesting when answering the question "How did Poe survive", the initial answer is "The real answer is that he was supposed to die on Jakku, but J.J. Arams liked Oscar Isaac so much that he kept him around."  That's the first I've heard that Poe was supposed to die.  If true...it seems to me to be a terrible idea to rewrite a script just to keep an actor around...although Poe didn't really do much for the rest of the film.  The same X-Wing battles and such could have taken place without him.

I just came back from seeing it the 2nd time, this time in 3D because I missed the 2D show. The 3D was terrible, but I think it had to do more with the theater, than the movie (or maybe a bit of both).

Anyway, as I said before, I loved it, and the 2nd viewing enforced that. 

I have to say, I think the soundtrack is really just as good as the others. It has a good blend of the old tunes and new themes, like Rey's theme which stood out right away, and the one where she meets Luke. After the 2nd viewing, I caught a few others that are really good, mainly the Resistance themes.

I also caught quite a bit more about the story. For example I understand better now how Starkiller's weapon works. And btw, if they had only done the plot around Starkiller a bit differently, I think we would not be calling this New Hope 2.0. For one, they could have not done it all, since the plot was all about finding Luke, and not the direct conflict between the First Order and the Resistance/Republic. But if they really wanted to have it in the story, then it would have been better, imo, to keep Starkiller-base around through the whole trilogy. They could have built it up to this really dread, unstoppable force, that finally is taken down in dramatic fashion in the 3rd movie. In a way, though, since both sides suffered heavy losses, it should make for an interesting dynamic for next one.

But my biggest realization after the 2nd viewing, has to do with the Rey and the title THE FORCE AWAKENS. 

Obviously, it's about Rey, I knew that from my 1st viewing. But I could not understand Snoke's there has been an awakening line. Because he delivered that line before Rey's vision at Maz's place. Then it hit me - it was her flying the Falcon that awakened her to the Force, creating a new disturbance, that people like Snoke could feel. First, the Falcon might have inadvertently become a Force nexus point, thanks to the presence of three Force sensitive people on it. Luke, in fact, started his training on the Falcon, and if there is a familial connection between Rey and Luke, then this would be another hint. Also, Rey said she had not flown the Falcon before, yet the first time she does, she performs amazingly, and she is even stunned by this performance.  

Rey is almost certainly Luke's daughter. i'm suprised the movie didn't end with these two lines:

"I'm, like, your father."

"I know."

Zoom out to the stars. roll credits. 

Two things we know about Skywalkers:  They are strong in the force and they are shit parents.

That's a good summary of many of the questions, though I think he makes a lot of assumptions with his responses.  Bear in mind, I haven't ready any of the supplemental stuff, so I don't if he's getting info from elsewhere.  I particularly find interesting when answering the question "How did Poe survive", the initial answer is "The real answer is that he was supposed to die on Jakku, but J.J. Arams liked Oscar Isaac so much that he kept him around."  That's the first I've heard that Poe was supposed to die.  If true...it seems to me to be a terrible idea to rewrite a script just to keep an actor around...although Poe didn't really do much for the rest of the film.  The same X-Wing battles and such could have taken place without him.

This has been confirmed in interviews with Isaac. http://io9.gizmodo.com/wait-redacted-was-supposed-to-die-in-the-force-awake-1748949179

"Isaac says he had been summoned to Paris for what he suspected might be a role in The Force Awakens. Sure enough, earlier that day, he had met with Abrams, screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, and Abrams had pitched him the character of Poe Dameron, a badass fighter pilot battling against the remnants of the Empire.

“He’s amazing!” said Abrams.

“Sounds good!” thought Isaac, whose first experience in a movie theater had been seeing The Empire Strikes Back.

“He opens the whole movie!” said Abrams.

“Sounds great!” thought Isaac.

“And then,” Abrams went on. “He dies.”

“Oh,” thought Isaac."

to

"“I went back home [to New York], and I thought about it,” he says. “Then I wrote him and said, ‘Okay. I’ll do it!’ I figured it would be a cameo: I’ll come in, do my thing, and maybe it’s actually better not to have to sign myself up for three movies.” By that time, though, things had changed and Abrams soon wrote back: “Never mind. I’ve figured it out. You’re in the whole movie now.”

“I was like, ‘Holy shit! Alright, cool,’ ” Isaac says."

Yes losing Han was tough, as soon as Leia told him to find their son I knew it was a death sentence.  You dont just get to walk away from a Darth Lord like that.  And yeah there was not much point to him confronting Ren, except personal need to try.

And I was very upset he never got to see Luke again.  But dude, how epic was the last scene?  Seeing Mark Hamill again, ya know, looking good, all isolated on an island like that.  It was a great moment for us at the theater, I mean carrie and Harrison have worked a lot since RotJ, but Mark's life has not been nearly as documented on screen.  It was so awesome, and he managed to age better than the other two.  We really loved it ;)

Oh sure it was great seeing Luke, the Island appears to be a reference to one of the Star Wars games, I am crossing my fingers. Not seeing Han was hard I wanted all three on the screen just one more time. He looks good but he is also younger and he has had a career but in voice acting. But it is fitting it is about the Skywalkers because those are the protagonists of the series, the first people you meet in the trilogy are all Skywalkers, in the prequels it was about Anakin, it's a Skywalker story. Which as the trailer suggests there is another Skywalker, and it's not Ben being handed that Lightsaber. We know who ends with the movie with that Lightsaber, we know who was told that that Lightsaber was theirs and we know who is holding it. Rey is Luke or Han and Leia's kid.

I wonder how they will address Finn's injuries? He was almost dead and that back slice caught him. I guess he gets his own jacket next, and Chewie will see Luke again and so will R2.

I am hoping for no more giant space guns, and want Jedi artifacts for the rest of the series. I also don;t want the Empire to be fine after losing the Starkiller base, yes the republic got seriously hurt, but losing the two Death Stars crippled the Empire, how the Empire remnants could manage losing a base with more than 80x the mass of a death star is not a reasonable idea to me. The oh the republic is weak and crippled and we are totally fine argument does not fly with me. You could build 1000 Star Destroyers a year for 30 years and it would cost less than that base in raw materials alone, you couldn't even make the muzzle of the base. The muzzle which could easily could easily swallow a death star.

Do you think it is a bad omen that Starkiller also happens to be Luke's original name?

So is poe the next wedge or? I don't really get his character. As an addition, he really doesn't seem to add anything except for a name for a nameless group. ANother some what intersting topic, chewie go on to work with Rey, finn, poe, or if we are lucky lando?

I hope not.  Wedge was useless.  "Pull out Wedge, you can't do any help back there", and 'I'll just go after the widgets on the north tower while you chug malt liquor and blow this joint to shit."  So overrated.

Still pissed they didn't make Greg Grunberg a Porkins.

she is definitely Luke's daughter, that's why R2 woke up, cause she was using the force near him and he felt it.  They had said he would only wake up when he sensed Luke, so Luke's daughter with the same DNA, using the Force near him is the only thing that could act as a replacement for Luke.

Except that Leia was around R2 for years, and what's the point of hiding a part of the map on R2 to Luke, if Luke's proximity was the trigger?

I'm going to have issues if they insist that one needs to have all of the tie ins to get the whole picture.

And so the Republic doesn't want to fight?  Ok. That's horrible on it's face in light of not giving over ANY explanation on that.  It still doesn't explain the lack of capital ships. The Rebellion had capital ships.

Any Internet chatter on the idea that Snoke is really Luke? :P

Not Luke, but what would Jar-Jar look like with his ears burned off?

The battle in the forest is probably my second favorite of the series, albeit with only one viewing so far. Even though it felt somewhat short (possibly due to the overlong final battle of RotS), the emotional stakes put it up there with the Vader/Luke brawl in Empire. It will be interesting to see Kylo and Rey face off again in a future movie. The escalating rivalry between them over the course of the film's second half was well done.

Oh sure it was great seeing Luke, the Island appears to be a reference to one of the Star Wars games, I am crossing my fingers. Not seeing Han was hard I wanted all three on the screen just one more time. He looks good but he is also younger and he has had a career but in voice acting. But it is fitting it is about the Skywalkers because those are the protagonists of the series, the first people you meet in the trilogy are all Skywalkers, in the prequels it was about Anakin, it's a Skywalker story. Which as the trailer suggests there is another Skywalker, and it's not Ben being handed that Lightsaber. We know who ends with the movie with that Lightsaber, we know who was told that that Lightsaber was theirs and we know who is holding it. Rey is Luke or Han and Leia's kid.

I wonder how they will address Finn's injuries? He was almost dead and that back slice caught him. I guess he gets his own jacket next, and Chewie will see Luke again and so will R2.

I am hoping for no more giant space guns, and want Jedi artifacts for the rest of the series. I also don;t want the Empire to be fine after losing the Starkiller base, yes the republic got seriously hurt, but losing the two Death Stars crippled the Empire, how the Empire remnants could manage losing a base with more than 80x the mass of a death star is not a reasonable idea to me. The oh the republic is weak and crippled and we are totally fine argument does not fly with me. You could build 1000 Star Destroyers a year for 30 years and it would cost less than that base in raw materials alone, you couldn't even make the muzzle of the base. The muzzle which could easily could easily swallow a death star.

Do you think it is a bad omen that Starkiller also happens to be Luke's original name?

Nah, I think they just liked that name and wanted to use it.  

R2 would have never made it up those stairs at the end, lol.

SO the question is did Luke know about his daughter, and why has he been in hiding, I know they said that he failed with Ren then went into hiding, but can thaat really be the only reason? What is up with the Jedi and living in exile? Now that I have thought more about this, maybe Luke thought his own child would have too much Darth Vader in it, so he did not want to train it in the ways of the Force, so he took Han and Leia kid instead as a Padwan, but then obviously that was the wrong choice....So maybe after that he decided no more Skywalker's should be trained since it is too much of a risk that they would turn to the dark side, since Skywalker's are clearly so powerful with the Force?  SO he was like, 'ok going into exile so no one can make me train more would-be Vader's'....?

Has anyone read the backstory materials on Finn? He was in Sanitation before being deployed as a stormtrooper, but was taken from his family when he was super-young. So did he have like a normal-ish military base existence? He seems really well-adjusted for someone who has spent their entire life in a structured military environment before defecting. 

Archived